Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Cap Are You Wearing Today?

Art Hat1

One of the Regulars
I do think both this and the Cordova Newsboy (above) look good on you and appear to fit you well, but I have to agree with your wife that the Botvela's more modest proportions look better on you. I had been eyeing those myself recently, and I think your post just might have convinced me to get one...or two...or... ;)
Yeah, Botvela’s really good honestly! And for the price you can pick up a couple at once. Plus they have vintage-inspired good shape to them. That massive Capas cap, laid flat, measures over 12 in which is huge on a short hobbit like me, I like it but I’m going to “grow” into it a little. When the Cordova comes I’m hoping it’ll be a little smaller on the head.

I think it looks great! I love a big, floppy cap, 20s style, but it can take getting used to at first. Like a fedora or anything, really. Berets took me a bit to get into the swing of - now I think they look way better on me, but that's all a confidence thing, really.

I have a couple of these myself - the mid brown colour, and the black. I do wish mine were a couple of inches wider, but they really are surprisingly good for the money, great for kicking around in in the Summer. I've been really pleased with mine; next year I might pick up a couple more. I'm very attracted to the burgundy / wine one, that might be next...

That’s the funny thing, I never felt weird with a fedora but a big floppy cap…yeah…a little. Especially odd since I started wearing Newsboys in middle school. How is the mid brown? I was looking at the khaki, then Florida heat broke me (for the 100th time this week) and I decided to try their dark grey and beige herringbone linen caps which should be here soon. The wine is an awesome color but I don’t know if I could do a hat in that color! Maybe a nice wine neckerchief to go with the caps.

Art Hat1

One of the Regulars
Friday I enojyed wearing a Cordova cap made from "work" fabric.

i-jpP5Q6D-M.jpg

Saturday I wore a Linen Cap to work. Glorious fabric in the warm weather. I do put this cap on my cap block and steam it every few wearings to keep it wrinkle free.

i-4BvQXZs-M.jpg

i-rfwFgbx-M.jpg

i-s46MpM5-M.jpg

i-Q8Pk5ff-M.jpg

i-4sHvgDZ-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -
Those are really nice! I ordered the 8/4 in Natural Linen, won’t be here till August but looking at yours, man it’ll be worth the wait!

Edward

Bartender
That’s the funny thing, I never felt weird with a fedora but a big floppy cap…yeah…a little. Especially odd since I started wearing Newsboys in middle school. How is the mid brown? I was looking at the khaki, then Florida heat broke me (for the 100th time this week) and I decided to try their dark grey and beige herringbone linen caps which should be here soon. The wine is an awesome color but I don’t know if I could do a hat in that color! Maybe a nice wine neckerchief to go with the caps.

Yeah, I like bolder colours, but they're definitely secondary to decent 'standards' - brown, grey, black. I would pair it with a matching shirt, or accents like a tie / scarf / velvet collar on a covert coat.

The brown one is great - unfortunately I don't seem to have any photos to hand, but the picture on my screen at least from Amazon is accurate. As light a brown - with slight orangey tones - as you can get before it becomes "dark tan". I enjoy wearing mine a lot in Summer with a striped t-shirt, neckerchief, and a pair of tan or brown trousers, a style I like to call "Working man's Riviera".

Art Hat1

One of the Regulars
Yeah, I like bolder colours, but they're definitely secondary to decent 'standards' - brown, grey, black. I would pair it with a matching shirt, or accents like a tie / scarf / velvet collar on a covert coat.

The brown one is great - unfortunately I don't seem to have any photos to hand, but the picture on my screen at least from Amazon is accurate. As light a brown - with slight orangey tones - as you can get before it becomes "dark tan". I enjoy wearing mine a lot in Summer with a striped t-shirt, neckerchief, and a pair of tan or brown trousers, a style I like to call "Working man's Riviera".
“Working man’s Riviera”, Love it!

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Cordova caps ate lovely indeed. I have a couple made by him; in particular, I have one of the early SJC wabash caps that I believe were made by Cordova for the brand. Mine is one of the eight dart style. The eight panels, like yours, are beautifully done; if they came in black I'd jump on one of these. There aren't many caps I've seen made outside of the artisanal producers we favour in these parts where the lines are just so perfectly matched up as on that one. I also like the peak extending just that little bit beyond the body.

I went back and looked at pics of the SJC caps -dynamite! The drape of the material is grand and has been holding up over the course of time and many wearings. The pictured cap highlights the extra material I have asked to be on the sides and in back. I do tug the cap on low on my skull.

i-z5PxwL3-M.jpg

Agreed it is a fav. Unsuccessful seeking of black or other hues, I have a commisioned wabash coming in a 7 peak style. I wear the wabash panel cap a bunch, or at least more than other of my caps. Another wabash in a different style will tide me over til more fabric appears.

i-4vTwxP3-M.jpg

I have an similar unlined styled cap. It is excellent. but it does not have the eye appeal of the lined one, IMO.

i-wBRF5RD-M.jpg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Not a fancy cap, but a well made one and my daily newsboy, a cotton twill find on Amazon (brand Botvela). Proportions more modest than my last post but easier to wear and more importantly it’s the hat my wife likes the most. Thinking of picking up a second in their khaki color. View attachment 524430
I like the pics of you wearing the cap. The medium drape works in the pic. Sometimes a simple cap is the best. The cotton twill cap is sharp.

Thanks for sharing. Eric -

Art Hat1

One of the Regulars

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
My latest Cordova Cap. This is a beautiful cap by Jonathan @Johnny J .
Made from 100% Italian Cashmere.
View attachment 524904
This pic is in subdued light, slightly overcast.

View attachment 524906
This shot is in bright sunlight. The sheen is amazing.

View attachment 524907
Indoor lighting.

View attachment 524909 View attachment 524910
Beautiful contrasting stitching...

Excellent! The fabric appears so "touchable soft." That is evident from the pics. Do you see the fabric as a durable cashmere or one that you need to be cautious with? Either works, just different.

I do liek the drape and depth of the side of the cap. It is a very flattering panel cap. I appreciate the stitched brim as ones I have similar are darn easy to wear.

Congrats sir. The cap is just sharp!

Eric -

quikrick

One Too Many
Excellent! The fabric appears so "touchable soft." That is evident from the pics. Do you see the fabric as a durable cashmere or one that you need to be cautious with? Either works, just different.

I do liek the drape and depth of the side of the cap. It is a very flattering panel cap. I appreciate the stitched brim as ones I have similar are darn easy to wear.

Eric -
Hi Eric, thanks for the compliment. The fabric is VERY soft but it holds it’s shape nicely, the liner gives it plenty of structure. The material is made for suiting, so I’m confident that it is durable enough. I will treat this one with some extra tenderness though!

Art Hat1

One of the Regulars
A lightweight gray wool cap was my all day evening cap.

i-d6xGQz9-M.jpg

i-wbBCv5G-M.jpg

i-kcSwj33-M.jpg

i-W9mQsLg-M.jpg

I received compliments from coworkers today on the "sharp cap." It reminds me that I hear more compliments on my everyday caps vs. my special caps.

Cheers, Eric -
That grey cap looks amazing! It is funny, similar to what you said here, I get more compliments on my cotton twill newsboy than any other cap or fedora too.

dkstott

Practically Family

Eric -
I find that I'm much more comfortable in caps that have more drape if they're darker in color. It also helps if the material is more substantial and doesn't flop around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR