Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Cap Are You Wearing Today?

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My caps made it from Australia so I was wearing the indigo hemp Five Points around the house today. Sweet cap. Light and airy.

Attachments

• WDH_5 Points indigo hemp.jpeg
    WDH_5 Points indigo hemp.jpeg
    408.8 KB · Views: 185

Tukwila

Dang that is sharp! I like the hemp hues. It looks substantial, like it could handle the heat. The shape looks terrific from the front. You will have to compare it to the Cordova straw cap.

Congrats sir!
The Corodva cap is made from Abaca straw and is quite airy. It has a more structured feel to it, and is an 8/4 type design with 8 separate parts sewn together. It has no liner for maximum airflow. It is more white, with the very slightest brown highlight... like a potato that was sliced an hour earlier and has started to brown/rust around the edges. It's a flashier cap overall, simply by design.

The WDH cap is made from hand woven hemp fabric, dyed with varying widths of indigo colored lines. The 5 Points design is a one piece cap with 5 darts at the front and sides of the cap, with the back being rounded. It is a looser weave than the abaca straw and does not have the structured feel of the abaca, either. Up close, it almost looks like it was made from an old burlap sack material, but for me this does not detract from the quality of the cap. It does make it a more casual cap, which is exactly what I was seeking. Being handwoven, there are lots of imperfections in the material. Again, IMO, this adds character to the cap. Knowing that Hmong women from Vietnam made the material is an attractive feature of the cap. The colors are more shades of blue and light brown than what you see in the pictures.

Two very different straw caps for different occasions. The brim on the Cordova cap is 2-3/4" and the WDH brim is a full 3".

Attachments

• Cordova Caps Abaca Straw_05a.jpg
    Cordova Caps Abaca Straw_05a.jpg
    477.5 KB · Views: 172
  • Cordova Caps Abaca Straw_04.jpg
    Cordova Caps Abaca Straw_04.jpg
    544.5 KB · Views: 187
  • WDH_5 Points indigo hemp.jpeg
    WDH_5 Points indigo hemp.jpeg
    408.8 KB · Views: 199
  • Five Points Summer Straw_Well Dressed Head.jpg
    Five Points Summer Straw_Well Dressed Head.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 213

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
The Corodva cap is made from Abaca straw and is quite airy. It has a more structured feel to it, and is an 8/4 type design with 8 separate parts sewn together. It has no liner for maximum airflow. It is more white, with the very slightest brown highlight... like a potato that was sliced an hour earlier and has started to brown/rust around the edges. It's a flashier cap overall, simply by design.

The WDH cap is made from hand woven hemp fabric, dyed with varying widths of indigo colored lines. The 5 Points design is a one piece cap with 5 darts at the front and sides of the cap, with the back being rounded. It is a looser weave than the abaca straw and does not have the structured feel of the abaca, either. Up close, it almost looks like it was made from an old burlap sack material, but for me this does not detract from the quality of the cap. It does make it a more casual cap, which is exactly what I was seeking. Being handwoven, there are lots of imperfections in the material. Again, IMO, this adds character to the cap. Knowing that Hmong women from Vietnam made the material is an attractive feature of the cap. The colors are more shades of blue and light brown than what you see in the pictures.

Two very different straw caps for different occasions. The brim on the Cordova cap is 2-3/4" and the WDH brim is a full 3".

Thanks tons! In reflection wow are you correct the caps are designed for different occasions. I imagine the woven hemp cap to pair up with my light blue chambray shirts during the warm weather. I will look into this cap. I really like you cap.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I got a new cap from "And Sons." As promised, it came lovingly wrapped in wax paper and tied up in twine:

View attachment 229542

Here's the cap:

View attachment 229543

Black caps are hard to photograph but here's a try:

View attachment 229544

That is a very sharp looking fabric and cap. I do like that it has some drape and that the brim is substantive. Leather under the peak is a terrific addition.

Good guys wear black, the 1978 Chuck Morris movie, comes to mind. I have not watched the movie, but the tittle just rolls off my tongue. I can see a black cap easily in my future. Thanks for linking the website as I am taking a look this afternoon.

Cheers, Eric -

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
That is a very sharp looking fabric and cap. I do like that it has some drape and that the brim is substantive. Leather under the peak is a terrific addition.

Good guys wear black, the 1978 Chuck Morris movie, comes to mind. I have not watched the movie, but the tittle just rolls off my tongue. I can see a black cap easily in my future. Thanks for linking the website as I am taking a look this afternoon.

Cheers, Eric -
Thanks, Eric, I had been drooling over this for a long time, then I got an email from them offering free shipping from England, so I jumped on it. The previous cap I got from someone else, in Ireland, got stuck in New York for 8 days. I was pretty irritated but nothing I could do. But these guys at And Sons sent it via DHL so it totally jumped over NY, going from London to Cincinnati, then jumping to San Francisco. Very fast route. Having a white beard really makes that charcoal color snap. I love their work.

Tukwila

Dang that is sharp! I like the hemp hues. It looks substantial, like it could handle the heat. The shape looks terrific from the front. You will have to compare it to the Cordova straw cap.

Congrats sir!
I'm sure Keith would make it in any of his styles, including an 8 dart cap like his l'Aronde. Be sure and read all the details under this cap, though, on his etsy site. IIRC, both @jonesy86 's cap and my cap (for certain) come with a hemp sweatband, too. I knew this going in, but if someone wants a leather sweatband they need to ask Keith about that.

Oh, mine is lined, too, but with a super thin, translucent cotton fabric.

Last edited:

Tukwila

I also wore my WDH hemp cap today. It poured rain all day yesterday but today should be partly cloudy with a little sun, and high humidity. Perfect for hemp.

Attachments

• 20200423_074948.jpg
    20200423_074948.jpg
    727.1 KB · Views: 359
  • 20200423_075024.jpg
    20200423_075024.jpg
    774.7 KB · Views: 383
  • 20200423_075950.jpg
    20200423_075950.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 402
  • 20200423_074856.jpg
    20200423_074856.jpg