Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Cap Are You Wearing Today?

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was out and about in a Cordova cap this morning.

i-tBm8cK3-M.jpg

Eric -
Man, I love that cap!

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Wow. Just...wow. Keith sure has a knack for finding the most interesting fabrics for his caps.

Keith really does source some incredible fabric.

I can not agree more with your sentiments. Keith's fabrics, heavy duty work on his caps, artists eye (details) and craftsmanship make his caps "top" notch! Each one shown on this thread is exquisite. I wear the "few" I have gently and with a certain amount of reverence. They do not get the everyday heavy wear of other caps. To note with rare exception, Keith's caps garner more comments than other caps I have. We and others do notice.

I have been finding amusement recently in wearing the "more" bold fabric caps. It is fun to sport a bold fabric cap during these challenging times. Rather than comfortably blending in with my fav conservative fabric/style caps I have been choosing the "others" with more frequency. Mostly on a whim. Since the pandemic and the winter 2020 shut-down of the USA, I have been less frequently coordinated caps with my "costumes." Will it continue - who knows. I am learning that I control very little of late.

Below is a pic of some fabrics that have purchased for commissions for upcoming caps made by Cordova Caps. I have a couple of tweed wool ones in the que for Fall.

i-TrsG5V6-M.jpg

Caps, life - ahhhhh, taking it one day at a time.

Cheers, Eric -

I don't get to post in this thread often, this one is special. My father rarely wore a hat, he didn't want to muss his perfect hair. That is why this photo, circa 1950 of him wearing one was so special to find. I had Johnathan Cordova of Cordova Fine Custom Caps create a tribute hat. We concluded it was a standard 8 panel soft cap, in white or a light gray. This is kind of unusual for him to wear when working around soot and grease on the Southern Pacific Railroad from 1946-1975. Today was the debut of this wonderful cap at the Farmer's Market. It is super comfortable and will get a lot of summer head time!

19Jun20 Dad Rare image with hat c1950 600x.jpg
29Aug20 Cordova Dad Cap front 550x.jpg
29Aug20 Cordova Dad Cap RH side 550x.jpg
29Aug20 Cordova Dad Tribute logo 550x.jpg

Tukwila

I don't get to post in this thread often, this one is special. My father rarely wore a hat, he didn't want to muss his perfect hair. That is why this photo, circa 1950 of him wearing one was so special to find. I had Johnathan Cordova of Cordova Fine Custom Caps create a tribute hat. We concluded it was a standard 8 panel soft cap, in white or a light gray. This is kind of unusual for him to wear when working around soot and grease on the Southern Pacific Railroad from 1946-1975. Today was the debut of this wonderful cap at the Farmer's Market. It is super comfortable and will get a lot of summer head time!

View attachment 257250 View attachment 257251 View attachment 257252 View attachment 257253
Really nice, Mike! What kind of fabric did Jonathan use?

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 257250 View attachment 257251 View attachment 257252 View attachment 257253

Wow! Your white unlined cap is gorgeous and classy. I would be shocked if flks do not comment on your fine lid. Congrats on the new cap day!

Early morning errand and yet again another errand had me "twinning" in Cordova Caps in bolder wool Dashing Tweed fabrics.

i-tQdGG9z-M.jpg

Best, Eric -

Tukwila

We decided on a cotton canvas/denim that would have been more of a "work wear" fabric of the early 1950s. Thanks Doug!
Well, it's really wonderful Mike. The way you create hats and caps connected to your Dad and historical figures.

My Dad wore ball caps, and an old boony bucket hat in stormy weather. But i have a couple hats similar to my grandfather's hat and they mean that much more to me.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
The terrific part of commissioning a cap, as most of you know first hand, is the selection of fabric. I have been fortunate the spring and summer of 2020 to stumble upon the fabrics of Dashing Tweeds. https://www.dashingtweeds.co.uk/fabric/ .

I currently have 3 Dashing Tweed caps from Cordova Caps on my cap rack.

i-6n8LdQ6-M.jpg

i-hnPBNp3-M.jpg

Their website speaks to "urban tweeds, "technical yarns," "new color combinations" as well as "new textures." Normally the words Urban tweed" would be a certain turn-off for me. This time it is different as I can see inspiration or fabrics that I easily see as the bold fabrics used in the 30-40's mens caps/clothing I see in the magazine advertisements. The recent thread, Esquires Complete Golden Era Illustration's -https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/esquire’s-complete-golden-age-illustrations.101480/ , showcases the advertisements in the Esquire Magazine that showcase the bold patterned/colors/textures/hues of fabrics used during this decade. Dashing Tweeds "Urban Tweed" is similar to what I see in the Esquire magazine ads of the 30's-40's.

i-4n5xKSt-M.jpg

Check out the many artisan cap makers and their fabric offerings. I can only imagine what your creative eye and the handy work of the cap artisans will be able to conjure up.

i-TF8MFZJ-M.jpg

Cheers this Sunday afternoon folks. Be safe, be strong and see you on the streets soon, Eric -

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
The terrific part of commissioning a cap, as most of you know first hand, is the selection of fabric. I have been fortunate the spring and summer of 2020 to stumble upon the fabrics of Dashing Tweeds. https://www.dashingtweeds.co.uk/fabric/ .

I currently have 3 Dashing Tweed caps from Cordova Caps on my cap rack.

i-6n8LdQ6-M.jpg

i-hnPBNp3-M.jpg

Their website speaks to "urban tweeds, "technical yarns," "new color combinations" as well as "new textures." Normally the words Urban tweed" would be a certain turn-off for me. This time it is different as I can see inspiration or fabrics that I easily see as the bold fabrics used in the 30-40's mens caps/clothing I see in the magazine advertisements. The recent thread, Esquires Complete Golden Era Illustration's -https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/esquire’s-complete-golden-age-illustrations.101480/ , showcases the advertisements in the Esquire Magazine that showcase the bold patterned/colors/textures/hues of fabrics used during this decade. Dashing Tweeds "Urban Tweed" is similar to what I see in the Esquire magazine ads of the 30's-40's.

i-4n5xKSt-M.jpg

Check out the many artisan cap makers and their fabric offerings. I can only imagine what your creative eye and the handy work of the cap artisans will be able to conjure up.

i-TF8MFZJ-M.jpg

Cheers this Sunday afternoon folks. Be safe, be strong and see you on the streets soon, Eric -
Uh Oh, I feel another custom cap coming on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner