Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Cap Are You Wearing Today?

I was wearing a green cap earlier (St. Patrick's Day and all that), but I wanted to show off my new Sterkowski Malone:

v7LymKt.jpg

Harris Tweed (100% wool) eight panel with a pattern they describe simply as "Blue-black", and a quilted cotton liner. The visor/brim and "headband" are trimmed with a black suede-like material. As much as I like their Rambler, I think Sterkowski has really hit it out of the park with this one.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I was wearing a green cap earlier (St. Patrick's Day and all that), but I wanted to show off my new Sterkowski Malone:

v7LymKt.jpg

Harris Tweed (100% wool) eight panel with a pattern they describe simply as "Blue-black", and a quilted cotton liner. The visor/brim and "headband" are trimmed with a black suede-like material. As much as I like their Rambler, I think Sterkowski has really hit it out of the park with this one.

I like the profile of that cap. The amount of drape and brim look sharp on you. I googled the cap and cheked out the suede-like material. It reaffirms my enjoyment of the leather brimmed caps. You wear it well. Cheers.

Today I wore, appropriately, a green McGee donegeal wool cap.

i-gXCg4VG-M.jpg

i-NzBTPKW-M.jpg

Best to all, Eric -

I like the profile of that cap. The amount of drape and brim look sharp on you. I googled the cap and cheked out the suede-like material. It reaffirms my enjoyment of the leather brimmed caps. You wear it well. Cheers.
Thank you Sir! The profile of both the Rambler and Malone caps are one of the things that drew me to them. They are of similar construction, the main difference being the Rambler is a four-panel cap and the Malone an eight-panel. It's far too soon to know how well they'll hold up under normal/regular use, but I'm pretty sure I'll be wearing them for years to come because the materials feel more substantial than most of my other flat caps. The people at Sterkowski know how to make a nice cap.

Last edited:

dkstott

Practically Family
Thank you Sir! The profile of both the Rambler and Malone caps are one of the things that drew me to them. They are of similar construction, the main difference being the Rambler is a four-panel cap and the Malone an eight-panel. It's far too soon to know how well they'll hold up under normal/regular use, but I'm pretty sure I'll be wearing them for years to come because the materials feel more substantial than most of my other flat caps. The people at Sterkowski know hot to make a nice cap.
My Sterkowski Malone got a lot of wear this winter ...getting soaked by snow and ice didn't affect it at all. The quilted lining in my Rambler and the Malone means they won't be worn for much longer. Sterkowski Shelby doesn't have a quilted liner, so it's getting worn now..

I've become a of Sterkowski caps..

My Sterkowski Malone got a lot of wear this winter ...getting soaked by snow and ice didn't affect it at all. The quilted lining in my Rambler and the Malone means they won't be worn for much longer. Sterkowski Shelby doesn't have a quilted liner, so it's getting worn now..

I've become a of Sterkowski caps..
My only previous Sterkowski was a "Gecko", a linerless duckbill cap made from navy blue linen:

1Gl6ccI.jpg

Lightweight and comfortable, except for the few ball caps I own it's really the only "summer" cap I have. But it showed me that Sterkowski caps are indeed worth the asking price like the Mucros Weavers caps I also wear.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab

v7LymKt.jpg

Fantastic Sterkowski! I love their style!

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Just another Boston Scally Cap, this one dubbed "Irish Rose":

7LmfSYd.jpg

Modern version of an 8-panel cap with the visor/brim covered in a thin faux leather material. A wool/polyester blend, and the colors/pattern are...uh...well, here's a close-up:

9VcI9mz.jpg

Green background with dark blue stripes and thinner tan stripes, but all subdued so there's not much contrast. And just in time for St. Patrick's Day!

Not that I have any plans...or booze...
Nice! I have a few Boston Scally Caps. I like some of their styles, although I do find their sizing seems to be slightly inconsistent. I seem to be a small for some of their caps, and a medium for others.

Nice! I have a few Boston Scally Caps. I like some of their styles, although I do find their sizing seems to be slightly inconsistent. I seem to be a small for some of their caps, and a medium for others.
Except for the first cap I bought from them, which was too small simply because I chose the wrong size, I haven't regularly had that problem. One cap might fit a little more loose or snug than the others, but I chalk that up to the manufacturing process--any number of variables can lead to an anomaly.

What I find is that they don't seem to have much quality control. Their caps are made in the People's Republic of China, and I don't think they inspect them too closely (if at all) before they put them into stock and subsequently ship them off to their customers. That first cap I bought was a single-panel Ivy cap in grey Herringbone ("The Original Boston Scally Cap"), and I could still wear it even though it was a little too small, but because of the way the top panel was sewn in the pattern was curved and this is what I see when I look in a mirror while I'm wearing it:

faLzEax.jpg

And from the top (green lines for emphasis):

4oLIBlL.jpg

Three e-mails to ask a couple of questions about their return policy went unanswered, so I just kept the cap. Too small and poorly made weren't positive aspects for a first purchase, but I haven't had any problems since then.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Except for the first cap I bought from them, which was too small simply because I chose the wrong size, I haven't regularly had that problem. One cap might fit a little more loose or snug than the others, but I chalk that up to the manufacturing process--any number of variables can lead to an anomaly.

What I find is that they don't seem to have much quality control. Their caps are made in the People's Republic of China, and I don't think they inspect them too closely (if at all) before they put them into stock and subsequently ship them off to their customers. That first cap I bought was a single-panel Ivy cap in grey Herringbone ("The Original Boston Scally Cap"), and I could still wear it even though it was a little too small, but because of the way the top panel was sewn in the pattern was curved and this is what I see when I look in a mirror while I'm wearing it:

faLzEax.jpg

And from the top (green lines for emphasis):

4oLIBlL.jpg

Three e-mails to ask a couple of questions about their return policy went unanswered, so I just kept the cap. Too small and poorly made weren't positive aspects for a first purchase, but I haven't had any problems since then.
Oh wow! Very interesting! I too have their gray herringbone Original Scally Cap. I went and checked mine after reading your post. The herringbone pattern on mine is straight. It's too bad yours turned out that way. The original herringbone is probably the one I wear from them the most. I think I've bought four all together from them but have given away two of them because I decided I didn't care for them too much to continually wear them.

Oh wow! Very interesting! I too have their gray herringbone Original Scally Cap. I went and checked mine after reading your post. The herringbone pattern on mine is straight. It's too bad yours turned out that way. The original herringbone is probably the one I wear from them the most. I think I've bought four all together from them but have given away two of them because I decided I didn't care for them too much to continually wear them.
Well, at least I have a half decent cap I can wear and not have to worry about it. ;) I thought about getting another one earlier today, but I just ordered a hat from Village Hat Shop in San Diego that hasn't even shipped yet, so I decided not to. Instead I did a quick count, and learned I already have 15 Boston Scally caps which is more than I thought. I rarely wear two or three of them, but the others are in semi-regular rotation so I figured I don't need another right now.

dkstott

Practically Family
Well, at least I have a half decent cap I can wear and not have to worry about it. ;) I thought about getting another one earlier today, but I just ordered a hat from Village Hat Shop in San Diego that hasn't even shipped yet, so I decided not to. Instead I did a quick count, and learned I already have 15 Boston Scally caps which is more than I thought. I rarely wear two or three of them, but the others are in semi-regular rotation so I figured I don't need another right now.
What did you order from VHS? I've avoided their cap lines because most are made in China

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ