Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Cap Are You Wearing Today?

quikrick

One Too Many
IMG_3610.jpeg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I like this Mackinaw. I've recently gotten a couple of Stormy Kromer Original caps, but this Mackinaw has a bit of a different shape that I like.

AndyR the Filson Mackinaw fits my head well. The cap has ear flaps. They fold up inside the cap. Whenthe ear flaps are folded up inside the band the cap fits nicely snug. When unfolded the cap still fits and is toasty when I need it. The Mackinaw wool is really durable and stays clean. After years the cap still looks fresh and new.

Ear flaps down.

i-LR6kGRV-M.jpg

At work. The cap is a "pill-box" shape. Certainly more square with steep sides. The thick Mackinaw wool I suspect demand the design. The strap in front I am not really sure what it is about and I do not use it.

i-pX4JmZd-M.jpg

The inside is shown below. I rarely include an inside shot of the Mackinaw cap as I wear it for outside or cold weather chores I am am reluctant to take it off.

i-gpHZRh6-M.jpg

i-MhPPH4W-M.jpg

A very long reply to your gracious comment. Cheers!

Best, Eric -

AndyR

One of the Regulars
AndyR the Filson Mackinaw fits my head well. The cap has ear flaps. They fold up inside the cap. Whenthe ear flaps are folded up inside the band the cap fits nicely snug. When unfolded the cap still fits and is toasty when I need it. The Mackinaw wool is really durable and stays clean. After years the cap still looks fresh and new.

Ear flaps down.

i-LR6kGRV-M.jpg

At work. The cap is a "pill-box" shape. Certainly more square with steep sides. The thick Mackinaw wool I suspect demand the design. The strap in front I am not really sure what it is about and I do not use it.

i-pX4JmZd-M.jpg

The inside is shown below. I rarely include an inside shot of the Mackinaw cap as I wear it for outside or cold weather chores I am am reluctant to take it off.

i-gpHZRh6-M.jpg

i-MhPPH4W-M.jpg

A very long reply to your gracious comment. Cheers!

Best, Eric -
It looks to me like the Filson ear flaps do a better job of covering the ears than the Stormy Kromer does. On the SK, you just pull the flap ring down from the sides, instead of folding them down or out. They are OK in a pinch, but they don't really cover enough or stay down. It's OK for me though, I got the hat because I love the red and black plaid. Thanks for the pics.

dkstott

Practically Family
It looks to me like the Filson ear flaps do a better job of covering the ears than the Stormy Kromer does. On the SK, you just pull the flap ring down from the sides, instead of folding them down or out. They are OK in a pinch, but they don't really cover enough or stay down. It's OK for me though, I got the hat because I love the red and black plaid. Thanks for the pics.
Sounds like the issue that I've had with caps and earflaps. They start out working okay, but then don't stay down or become wings. I've migrated to wearing earmuffs separately from my caps.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up

Sounds like the issue that I've had with caps and earflaps. They start out working okay, but then don't stay down or become wings. I've migrated to wearing earmuffs separately from my caps.

Your experiences are the same as mine-Stormy Kromer barely covers the ears.

I struggle with using it for hard chores in weather as my ears are not covered and get cold as well as the cap being lined with a cotton. I have sweated in the cap several times and have washed the liner with Woolite. It is a lot of effort to keep the cap looking sharp when I use it hard.

The Filson has a quilting that has a nylon content and wipes off easier. I put a folded handkerchief on my bald pate then I tug the cap on when I am going to really put effort into a chore. Our recent big snowfall found me out with a snowblower and shovel for an hour and half of hard efforts. The handkerchief I refolded after it got damp from my efforts. After the efforts I wiped the inside down (cleaning wipes and a very small application of fabric spray) and set it on a wooden cap block to dry. The cap was ready to go the next morning. The Filson has a crown height, at least for short me. I can not wear it when I need to use ear protection. Ear protection does not work with this style cap. No chainsaw or blower work with the Filson. Or if I use it, it is light and short duty.

Even with my other caps I change them out when I am going to get them damp with perspiration. Frequently I will use the handkerchief in my back pocket when I am efforting. I do not use a handkerchief for any other purpose but my protection of caps or hats. Wiping my pate or forehead are the normal use of the fabric.

Kromers - I have a couple, but the do not get frequent use.

Eric -

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Great post Short. I'm on the prowl for two or three caps spot on like yours. I should have done this much sooner but I've s streak the chepskate procrastinator. And a black knit watch cap easily tucked inside my gloverall pockets, so aside the brown fedora, a few caps to crown my middle age noggin will be just the ticket. Thnx again for posting.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Great post Short. I'm on the prowl for two or three caps spot on like yours. I should have done this much sooner but I've s streak the chepskate procrastinator. And a black knit watch cap easily tucked inside my gloverall pockets, so aside the brown fedora, a few caps to crown my middle age noggin will be just the ticket. Thnx again for posting.

Cheers sir.

Red wool day and night. My "Minnesota tuxedo, " Filson red plaid with a Harris wool Cordova cap worked for my Tuesday.

i-tZT8KGD-M.jpg

i-nV77Ffb-M.jpg

Best wishes, Eric -

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui