Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Cap Are You Wearing Today?

dkstott

Practically Family
Thank you very much, that means a lot! It’s definitely become my go any where, do anything cap. Thanks to the color and texture of the canvas (as opposed to twill) it can dress up, down and sideways, is really rugged and looks straight out of the 1920s or 30s. I have gotten in the habit of stuffing the crown with paper towels whenever it get drenched to let it dry in shape but even without that it holds it shape really well. All the credit in the world to Jonathan Cordova! Hopefully he’ll get some more summer weight fabrics in soon, like with a nice herringbone pattern. View attachment 578210 View attachment 578211

That red liner tip is the literal cherry on top, perfect!
I've been using old tissue packing paper in a lot of my caps. But I don't use anything in the harris or Donegal wool caps..

AmiCharnel:

IMG_8737.jpeg
IMG_8739.jpeg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I've been using old tissue packing paper in a lot of my caps. But I don't use anything in the harris or Donegal wool caps..

I too use tissue paper, white paper that surrounds gifts. I use a rolled up one under the cap in front, over the brim. This rolled paper keeps the front of the cap with a minimal crushed front and gathering of material that continues down to the snap. I do not open the snap when storing. A second or third balled up and used to fill the crown of the cap. A medium of lightweight material-ed cap has more tissue paper in the crown area than a thick material-ed cap. Some of the caps whoose design or material need more support I add some bubble wrap.

All my caps go into gallon plastic storage bags , open not closed. The caps are dry and appropriately stuffed with tissue paper. The bags go into bigger plastic storage bins. I keep 4 bins out and have 2 bins in "storage."

Interesting we all end up more or less at the same storage options.

Best, Eric -

Brent you wear the cap well. It does not wear you. The hounds tooth fabric is sharp.

PanosChris

Practically Family
I am wondering, do you guys go for the same size as your felts for your customs? My off the rack caps seem to be 1-2 sizes larger

Art Hat1

One of the Regulars
I am wondering, do you guys go for the same size as your felts for your customs? My off the rack caps seem to be 1-2 sizes larger
Yeah, same size. I have found my Cordovas fit a bit loose so I attached some sizing tape under the sweatband. Now my hair’s longer I may need to take it out. Off the rack has such variance for some reason. Same company, Botvella, one cap is a bit loose the other is almost too tight, both 59s.

quikrick

One Too Many
Yes, I use the same size as my fedoras with my custom caps. For me, Cordova is very consistent with sizes. Simonds has varied a tiny bit, some loose, some snug but not enough to matter. Like @Art Hat1 said... it could be a matter of a haircut. I only have one Well Dressed Head and the fit was perfect.
So , Panos, If you are considering a custom cap... the enabler in me says GO FOR IT!

Last edited:

dkstott

Practically Family
All my Stetson and Akubra felt and beaver fedoras are size 58..

But every one of my newsboy caps are size 57... It might be because I like a tighter fit on my caps.

The fabric sweatband probably also allows for more flexibility than leather sweatband

PanosChris

Practically Family
Thank you, gentlemen, much appreciated!

Seems to me that besides personal preferences, the materials used, head shape and how low or high caps vs felts sit on head might account too

Rick, thanks! It's a long overdue, but I am getting there ;) Ahh, TFL and enablers...as if hanging around these parts wasn't enough already :)

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Tell me about it! I just got one Simonds and one more in the works!!!

Thank you, gentlemen, much appreciated!

Seems to me that besides personal preferences, the materials used, head shape and how low or high caps vs felts sit on head might account too

Rick, thanks! It's a long overdue, but I am getting there ;) Ahh, TFL and enablers...as if hanging around these parts wasn't enough already :)

dkstott

Practically Family

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner