Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What cigar (or pipe) did you smoke today?

spiridon

A-List Customer
Hey BTW IndyCop, I get over to Jacksonville on a "semi-regular" basis for work projects......next time I'm over your way perhaps we can hook up for a few cigars! I'll also try to hook you up with a couple of my cigar buddies there in Jacksonville.......SUPER nice folks!

indycop

I'll Lock Up
spiridon said:
Hey BTW IndyCop, I get over to Jacksonville on a "semi-regular" basis for work projects......next time I'm over your way perhaps we can hook up for a few cigars! I'll also try to hook you up with a couple of my cigar buddies there in Jacksonville.......SUPER nice folks!
Excellent!!:D

warbird said:
Yes.

Or you can use spanish cedar cigar boxes, which you can usually get from the cigar shop for $2-3. There are several choices for a humidifier. Some people like to get some green planters foam like the flower shops use. It's also what most humidifiers are made from which you buy in the shop. They mix distilled water and propolene glycol (which you can buy from a pharmacy) 50/50 and that will hold about 70% humidity.

Personally I prefer the silica options, such as The Puck or Drymistat tubes. They hold 65-70% and they work far superior to the foam with almost no chance of mold, which the foam has a tendency to do.

With a coolerador you can go as big or small as you want. A digital hygrometer is a great investment for about $20 to know how high or low the humi is for your cooler. For less than $40-50 you can have a humi that works great and can hold hundreds of cigars.

I tend to keep and re-use my old cigar boxes just as you mention. The tubes work great and the box works fine as long as I pre humidify it (wet the box inside a bit), wipe it dry after a few minutes and then leave a dry piece of paper towel in it overnight to absorb excess moisture. The Hydrometer usually registers 60-70% by then so I put in the cigars and the tube to keep it the same humidity. I was told to do this by a cigar afficianado friend of mine and it has worked out ok for me. I hope it isn't bad advice I was getting. :eusa_doh: ;)

Regards to all,

J

RedPop4

One Too Many
I don't think it's the best thing one can do. I certainly would discourage you from doing that to a "real" humidor, if you've invested good money in an expensive box. In a cigar box, though, if it works, I guess it's ok. You can easily acquire more cigar boxes from your local tobacconist (full or empty ;) )

The Spanish cedar will equalize without having to be intentionally wet, though, at least from my reading over the years. I've read numerous times, that before putting cigars in a new humidor, simply put a shot glass full of distilled water in the humidor for a couple days, then check the levels and put in the cigars.

RedPop4 said:
I don't think it's the best thing one can do. I certainly would discourage you from doing that to a "real" humidor, if you've invested good money in an expensive box. In a cigar box, though, if it works, I guess it's ok. You can easily acquire more cigar boxes from your local tobacconist (full or empty ;) )

The Spanish cedar will equalize without having to be intentionally wet, though, at least from my reading over the years. I've read numerous times, that before putting cigars in a new humidor, simply put a shot glass full of distilled water in the humidor for a couple days, then check the levels and put in the cigars.

I was wondering about that. Are all cigar boxes made from Spanish cedar though? Maybe cheaper would could benefit? [huh]
I suppose just putting the tube in would likely raise the level enough and replace any humidity removed from the former cigars that were in there. :D
Getting more full boxes of cigars. Now that's an idea. :eusa_clap Why didn't I think of that? :p

RedPop4

One Too Many
Even most dress boxes are made of cedar, just thinner. Unless you're buying machine mades. But almost all premium cigars come in some sort of Spanish cedar box, albeit with some exceptions, of course.

Dress box is made of fairly thin pieces of Spanish cedar, often trimmed with stickers or paper decoration. You know the type.
image5583.jpg

apipeguy

One of the Regulars
The all wood boxes works as traveldor. get a few pieces of the loose cedar and wet them. :) hey, looks like a Savinelli with Presbyterian Mixture for the a.m. ride. hope you all enoy your days!:)

apipeguy

One of the Regulars
Indy, igloo-dors are excellent for tobacco storage. just not attractive to place on your desk. Delthayre, straight burley is bland to me.

RedPop4 said:
Even most dress boxes are made of cedar, just thinner. Unless you're buying machine mades. But almost all premium cigars come in some sort of Spanish cedar box, albeit with some exceptions, of course.

Dress box is made of fairly thin pieces of Spanish cedar, often trimmed with stickers or paper decoration. You know the type.
image5583.jpg

I see. My Bolivar Sonnets came in a box that looks like a book but yours seem to be from a different country. ;) :p They do have the same logo though. :rolleyes:
What about Dutch Masters boxes? ;) :p
CI-DUT-PALN-200.jpg

Man, what dog rockets. :eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland