Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Did You Want To Be When You Grew Up?

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I wanted to be a vet, but was put off by the long studies and also the necessity of being good at science. :eusa_doh:

Now I wish I hadn't given up on it, it wasn't that I was that bad at science, I just didn't enjoy it at school level. I dunno, I just still want to help animals I guess.

After watching too much crime drama I also harbour a secret desire to be a detective. Particularly a very rich private detective like Poirot or a forensic pathologist like in CSI. But only if they invent fancy machines that bring up DNA and forensic data in seconds instead of days/weeks like reality!

McPeppers

One of the Regulars
I wanted to be Indiana Jones lol... I have the hat and bullwhip (bought at different times for very different reasons)

Anyone have a trap filled maze with an awesome priceless treasure?

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
my mother wanted me to be an architect, and at school when asked "what do you want to be when you grow up ?", i'd respond "an architect". but it wasn't true. really i wanted to be Evel Knievel.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
skinnychik said:
After being told I could become anything I wanted to be, I announced that I wanted to be...

...a turtle.

Well, if it's longevity you're after, you could do worse than be a turtle. (Or a tortoise.) This June, a Giant Galapagos tortoise died in an Australian zoo. She was allegedly 176 years old. Some claim that Charles Darwin himself brought her to Britain: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/06/24/tech/main1749256.shtml

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I went throught the typical girlhood ambitions: vet, ballet dancer, fairy.

But as I got older (6 or so), I developed a deep fascination with mythical gods and legends, so I wanted to be an Egyptologist. Then I realized I liked the stories MORE than what they represented, so I wanted to make my own stories. That and the ammount of school needed for all the jobs listed above whew!

When I was 9, I saw Popeye cartoon and I was hooked. I wanted to be an animator ever since. I just finished my masters in it, so I guess now the goal is to get PAID to do it instead of the other way around. :eek:

LD

Rosie

One Too Many
I wanted to be a lawyer(elementary) then a journalist(h.s.), speech pathologist (h.s.) then psychologist (psychology was my major when I entered undergrad) then a graphic designer (I changed my major to graphic design after 3 semesters of psychology, I found it boring). Now, I think I want to own a bakery/cafe/bookstore.

MissMissy

One of the Regulars
I wanted to be a comedian when I was 6 or so. I liked to make up silly songs and dances to make my friends and family laugh. Then I wanted to be a Superstar in middle school. I suppose it didn't matter how, I just wanted to be famous. High school came and I became interested in fashion. Turns out I became a stay-at-home mom who designs and sews clothing. I can still make people laugh although I have given up on the Superstar dream![huh]

Curt Chiarelli

One of the Regulars
Lacking the ability to transform myself into a 40 foot long Tyranosaurus rex, I wisely opted for the next best thing: a career as a paleontologist. For the next several years I see-sawed between herpatology and paleontology until at age twelve I decided that a commercial illustrator was what I was cut out for.

That, in turn, changed and became elaborated upon when the filmmaking special effects and stop-motion animation bug bit me when I was 15. To prepare myself for that field I began to teach myself drafting, set design, sculpting, moldmaking and machine tool technology, amongst other skills. Although I've done everything from special effects and production design for feature films to book illustration to video game design to museum exhibits, I've been largely typecast as a sculptor. It's ironic when you consider that I first saw sculpting only as a means toward an end, not the end itself!

To bring things full circle, I still love dinosaurs! Occasionally I have the opportunity to sculpt scale reconstructions of them! I guess some significant portion of me never really grew up (thank God!).

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Astronaut; RAF Pilot; Soldier

Astronaut; RAF Pilot; Soldier.

Very much a Space Age childhood, and I remember one Xmas getting the big Apollo moon rocket and also a silver astronaut suit with helmet and NASA badges!! Wish I'd kept them both. Really inspired me and I wanted to fly!!

wibblebird

New in Town
A Lady of Leisure. :)

I wanted to be a teacher from a very early age. Then, during student teaching in college I found out that teaching was mostly about discipline. And I wasn't good at it. And that it would take several years before I could manage my class. So, I decided to give up. Maybe when I'm older.

After a series of unsatisfying adminstrative jobs, I went back to school and became a software develor, which makes me happy. Although, now I wish I could be just a stay-at-home Mom. (Never thought I'd say that).

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
I wanted to be a writer since the 7th grade.
Before that, I wanted to be a Professional Baseball Player.
Nothing really changes -- but I haven't grown up yet, just given up.

mikepara

Practically Family
Sometimes Life just sucks.

Harp said:
Army officer. Enlisted at seventeen, volunteered
for Vietnam; later, while serving as an advisor with the Greek Army
in Macedonia, met a Greek girl, tossed away a regular army
West Point appointment to marry her, had to rotate back to the
USA for seven months, went back to Greece a newly-minted almost
twenty-one year old civy bachelor for the wedding, and returned
a bachelor... Left the Army for a woman who didn't want to marry
a soldier, nor be a GI Bill wife. Having thrown away the Point and a
regular army commission during the post-war reduction in force, I
stayed a civy.

Harp, thats just tragic.

I always wanted to be an Action Man [= US GI Joe] paratrooper!

I became a Paratrooper [No such thing as a paratrooper in the British army = Military Parachutist!], fell Runner, Skiing instructor, Mountain leader, Freefaller, White water kayaker, Sea Canoeist. Sports Diver.. So just about managed to fulfill my ambition. Never did get the scar on my cheek though.

Now I want a small bookshop and do some Mountain Marathons now and then. Live till I'm 80-odd and die married to my sweetheart Janis.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Grow up? Who wants to grow up? Not me! ;)

This is an interesting thread, and the topic reminds me of a real "golden era" story. I remember my grandmother telling with great joy at family reunions that when my uncle Ned was a boy (this would have been in the late 1930's) that he wanted to be "... a colored conductor on the train".

As for me, I guess as a child I wanted to be an adventurer/explorer. Theodore Roosevelt and Daniel Boone were my heroes.

Mike K.

One Too Many
When I grow up I want to be a kid!!

Actually, I wanted to be a firefighter. Did that...8 years as a wildland firefighter, U.S. Forest Service.

I wanted to be a fighter pilot like my grandfather. I did the military thing for a short time but not as a pilot. However, nowadays I fly often as an Audubon wildlife warden/biologist tracking endangered species.

I wanted to be a adventurer/explorer, trekking through the jungles like on Wild Kingdom. Now I do that too. As a professor and research scientist I've explored the moutainous jungles, been diving on some really deep reefs, trekked the steamy swamps, and seen some absolutely amazing wildlife and landscapes.

What did I want to be when I grew up? Exactly how I am living my life now!:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats