Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Did You Want To Be When You Grew Up?

Caledonia

Practically Family
Mine went, starting from about 4:

Princess
Ballet Dancer
Secretary
Air Stewardess
Fireman
Truck Driver
Art Teacher
Actor
Writer
Back to the truck driver
Policeman
Army officer
Commercial Pilot
Theology Professor
Philosophy Professor
Member of some top government think tank
Artist
Top Flight Business Executive
Actor again

Then I had to start Primary School and it all went to pot! I now hang out in my own alternative universe wondering when I will achieve Enlightenment and not have to worry about this kind of stuff.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Fun question. I went through a couple of phases. First, a ballerina--a cliche but seeing Baryshnikov was some motivation as well. When I was a bit older I was enamored of being a saint--speaking to God and dying young but gloriously seemed appealing (my school library had a lot on Joan of Arc). As an older teenager I thought about getting a degree in architecture but that passed. Ironically in college, the one time it would have been helpful to have an idea of what I wanted to do when I grew up, I had no idea what I wanted to do. I figured it out eventually though.

farnham54

A-List Customer
Since day one: Pirate--not fast-boat-high-powered-machine-gun-pirate, I mean a real Swashbuckler.

As that isn't the most reasonable profession these days,. I just put a little Pirattitude into everyday life.

Other then that, a Soldier--officer in the Army as a matter of fact. I'm still leaning in that direction.

Cheers
Craig

D

drafttek

"How could you tell her I'm a marine biologist? You know I've always wanted to pretend to be an architect."

Actually, the only thing I've ever wanted to do is be a pilot. Now, only fifteen years behind schedule, I am :D .

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
To tell you the truth, I didn't know what I wanted to be. I liked the wonders of the magician, I liked dressing up, different things that were more interests than dreams. But now I want to be in the movies, making them. Hasn't taken long to figure out that vision. :p

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
As a kid I wanted to be a keeper in the Zoo. My parents aimed a bit higher and hoped for me being a vet.
After school I had no idear. My parents suggested teacher.
Teacher???:eusa_doh: I had finally left school!!!:p :D
The only thing I wanted was to live on my talent for drawing and writing.
Which is exactly what I do.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Senator Jack said:
Millionaire playboy. No kidding. The sort that had a valet and a Park Avenue apartment. I certainly watched too many 60s movies when I was kid. It didn't matter what I was going to do to make money - perhaps I'd be a cartoonist like Jack Lemmon in 'How to Murder Your Wife' - all that mattered was that I'd have that apartment and the valet.

Hate to admit it, but I think I'm still pursuing that goal.:eusa_doh:

How is this a bad thing?

The one thing I really remember is wanting to be as a boy is an airline pilot, and the sorrow I felt when I was told by my primary school teacher that my eyesight would prevent me from flying.

Well, I showed her in the long run. Not as a profession, perhaps, but I'm finally on course for those elusive wings.

When I hit my late teens I wanted to laze around and not do too much while still having the option of living the high life, not too dissimilar from the good Senator's idea. The best thing is, that's pretty much what I do now - only I'm still waiting for the butler...

Cobden

Practically Family
Another failed airline pilot here (eyesight) and Merchant Navy Officer - although I'm now on course to become a Royal Navy Officer [huh]

SaraBell

Familiar Face
When I was about 4 I loooved dinosaurs (hehe, I only had guy friends at that age) and so wanted to be a paleontologist...I still don't know how I remembered all those difficult names...anyways, I went on to wanting to be famous (don't know how), fashion design, interior design, and now I'm on track to get my cosmotology license.

Curt Chiarelli

One of the Regulars
SaraBell said:
When I was about 4 I loooved dinosaurs (hehe, I only had guy friends at that age) and so wanted to be a paleontologist...I still don't know how I remembered all those difficult names...anyways, I went on to wanting to be famous (don't know how), fashion design, interior design, and now I'm on track to get my cosmotology license.

Hi Sara:

That's funny you should mention loving dinos as a kid because as a child I had a friend named Claudine, the daughter of a family friend who shared my passion for the beasties. We used to drive her parents (as well as mine) to utter despair not only with all the trouble we used to brew up but also because they believed that dinosaurs were not "healthy" for anyone to be interested in, let alone a girl! Over the years we lost track of one another. She went on to become an architect in Manhattan. I sometimes wonder whether or not her buildings are shaped like brontosauruses . . . .

Nevertheless, as for wrapping your mind around all that Greek and Latin nomenclature: the world is nothing if not full of endless possibilities to a 4 year old - the trick is still believing that at 40!

koopkooper

Practically Family
When I was a teenager I wanted to be a pro tennis player,I was a pretty good tournament player and was a member of a national squad but did'nt have enough talent to make the grade, so I ended up by accident umpiring a few tournaments for a bit of extra cash (better than working flipping burgers).
I liked it so much my next goal was was Pro Tennis Umpire.
That came to fruitition when some American Officials spotted me a small pro tennis tournament in my home town and invited me to work in the states for eight weeks and I was on my way.
I did that for six years and got tired of living out of a suit case so here I was again thinking "what now?" I then discovered radio and did a radio school course and took off for the country for a few years before landing work in Sydney at an Easy Listening radio station.
So there you have it ...pro tennis player,pro tennis umpire and now radio show host! I guess it can be amazing how one childhood dream can lead to something else that can be even better.

Slate Shannon

One of the Regulars
For the longest time, I wanted to be a scientist. No particular discipline, just a generic scientist. Probably from watching too many low-budget horror movies from the '50s, where the "scientist" saves the world. Then it was a soldier for a while, and then a secret agent. Never did become any of those, however, just a 9-to-5 working stiff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats