Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What did your grandparents pack for personal protection in the Golden Era?

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Smithy said:
Handguns are highly restricted here but hunting rifles and guns are relatively popular. I love vintage hunting guns and something like this would have to near the top of my list...

HollandHolland.jpg

It's a Holland and Holland .470 double rifle from 1959. Goodness knows what on earth I would hunt with the thing - a H&H side by side would be far more practical - but I love those English big bore double rifles, a gun from a different age, plus the craftmanship.

Well, you'd be ready if you were ever mugged by a finback whale. ;)

Remember, need should never be a requirement for a free person to own almost anything. It's a beautiful piece of craftsmanship and history - mechanical art. If you aren't doing anything to hurt others, "want" is sufficient reason.

Say, for example, you want a device to loosen your teeth and dislocate your shoulder in tenths of a second. lol

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
carebear said:
Well, you'd be ready if you were ever mugged by a finback whale. ;)

Say, for example, you want a device to loosen your teeth and dislocate your shoulder in tenths of a second. lol

lol

I really would love one, but I imagine this example would be around the £40,000 to £50,000 mark so I better start saving!

You are so right though Matthew, it really is a piece of mechanical art.

cooncatbob

Practically Family
Not vintage, but Shiloh make such perfect repoductions that their parts are used in restorations. Shiloh Sharps 1874 #1 Sporter with heavy half octagon barrel in 45-70. Bob.
336685307_8d0a3b1d12.jpg

I really like those pre 1911 colt autos where the grip portion is closer to a 90 degree angle to the body / slide area, I think there were some 45 and 38 auto done in that style. Very partial to Broomhadle Mausers and other early semi autos. I do wish my income would support some collecting.
I have a friend that has some great Military Police 38 special revolers that are choice!

As a cautious person, I'd also love a Colt or S&W WWI type revolver in 45ACP and those moon clips!

"Needs" vs. "Rights" is the quarrel of Marxism versus Freedom, folks.

As for my load, this is only in the planning stage, not even acquisition, but under high alert, my carry load would probably run something like: (each weapon is symbolic of and representative of someone who had an influence on me, with one exception)

Galco Miami Classic dual-shoulder-holster, with repro WWI (Gen. MacArthur; never used, but sent an aide from Corregidor to Manila to retrieve it) and WWII (my grandfather) 1911s

In pockets: Colt 1903 (Mac again; allegedly) .32 and 1908 (Gen. Patton) .380

Up sleeves: pair of derringers (Mac yet again) or (only non-vintage pieces, my only "me" weapons) COP 4-shot .357's, depending on room available and coat cover

And, if I'm in an open-carry state, add a replica of Patton's revolver belt, complete with SAA and Registered Magnum-clone.

Please note, this is only in a high-threat situation--I'm a magnet for friends with violent problem exes for some reason, probably my protective instincts. Normal load will be only the .45s and EITHER the pocket pistols or the derringers, or one of each, but generally not both options on both sides like described above.

Feraud

Bartender
cooncatbob said:
Not vintage, but Shiloh make such perfect repoductions that their parts are used in restorations. Shiloh Sharps 1874 #1 Sporter with heavy half octagon barrel in 45-70. Bob.
336685307_8d0a3b1d12.jpg
Wonderful! :eusa_clap The Sharps is a favorite of mind. I'll take one of those and a Spencer for my collection please.

WH1

Practically Family
Smithy said:
Handguns are highly restricted here but hunting rifles and guns are relatively popular. I love vintage hunting guns and something like this would have to near the top of my list...

HollandHolland.jpg

It's a Holland and Holland .470 double rifle from 1959. Goodness knows what on earth I would hunt with the thing - a H&H side by side would be far more practical - but I love those English big bore double rifles, a gun from a different age, plus the craftmanship.

Beautiful weapon a true piece of art, The English double rifle is like no other weapon in the world. Perfect for a classic railroad hunt through africa. A few years ago I saw a piece on such a hunt from classic pullman cars, I don't know if they are still running it. At the time it was about $20,000US. It is my dream vacation. Smithy you spring for a pair of the double rifles and I'll book passage on the train. :)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
WH1 said:
Smithy you spring for a pair of the double rifles and I'll book passage on the train. :)

If I win the big one WH1 you're on! It's something I've dreamt of doing as well ;)

carebear

John in Covina said:
I really like those pre 1911 colt autos where the grip portion is closer to a 90 degree angle to the body / slide area, I think there were some 45 and 38 auto done in that style. Very partial to Broomhadle Mausers and other early semi autos. I do wish my income would support some collecting.
I have a friend that has some great Military Police 38 special revolers that are choice!

As a cautious person, I'd also love a Colt or S&W WWI type revolver in 45ACP and those moon clips!

The 1905/07?

1905_2.gif

WH1

Practically Family
HollandHolland.jpg

It's a Holland and Holland .470 double rifle from 1959. Goodness knows what on earth I would hunt with the thing - a H&H side by side would be far more practical - but I love those English big bore double rifles, a gun from a different age, plus the craftmanship.[/QUOTE]

Smithy do you subscribe to or read the double gun journal. It is the ultimate wish book for such as us. A truly wondrous publication. Well written and the photography is amazing.

http://doublegunshop.com/doublegunjournal.htm

Rooster

Practically Family
I used to get DGJ from day 1. I was a collector of Damascus barreled doubles when everybody else considered them unsafe junk.....I knew better;) Anyway, DGJ made the damascus barreled guns so popular, I couldn't afford to collect them anympore. DGJ sure ruined a good thing.:eusa_doh:
Anyway, great magazine. I sold most all of my copies on ebay, they made me a fortune. Still have a few to put on there.

AcmeNews

New in Town
Gettin one

This thread has motivated me.

I've been carrying a SigSauer P239 .40 for a few years. I love the weapon, but at times it feels kind of big, even though it's a sub-compact.

Because of the great weapons written about and shown on this thread, I will be in the market for something of the and earlier vintage. Maybe it will be a new model of a weapon that has been manufactured for 60+ years (1911 comes to mind), or maybe I can find something actually manufactured before Glocks ruined the firearms world.

Any suggestions? I'll accept a revolver, but the semi-auto is preferred. PPK, perhaps?

vonwotan

Practically Family
I really like Fabrique National. For a really nice pocket gun, fits in the waistcoat of my vintage tails, I have an engraved an nickel plated Browning Baby. It's quite a bit lighter than my Seecamp. I'm a little guy so nothing more than a single stack for these hands. The 1911 is my overall favorite and I have them in several sizes some vintage and a few incredible custom pieces by Bill Wilson.

carebear

AcmeNews said:

I've been carrying a SigSauer P239 .40 for a few years. I love the weapon, but at times it feels kind of big, even though it's a sub-compact.

Because of the great weapons written about and shown on this thread, I will be in the market for something of the and earlier vintage. Maybe it will be a new model of a weapon that has been manufactured for 60+ years (1911 comes to mind), or maybe I can find something actually manufactured before Glocks ruined the firearms world.

Any suggestions? I'll accept a revolver, but the semi-auto is preferred. PPK, perhaps?

While vintage guns are cool as history and novelty, on the very off chance I'd actually have to use mine for defense I'd go with a modern weapon. You typically get a more reliable mechanism in a smaller, lighter package.

I wouldn't mind the occasional old dressed up Baby Browning for a tux, as vonwoten should post a picture of (hint, hint), but for day to day make mine modern.

For example, PPK's, even modern ones, can be hit or miss in functionality. Your 239 is a great piece, it'll be hard to find a similarly compact pistol that combines its attributes and reliability, especially with the more effective modern ammo.

Day-to-day carry requires some sacrifice and compromise in clothing, especially down South, but realistically you should be able to carry that Sig anywhere you could carry anything much smaller. And anything smaller would require a major trade off in power.

Of course, I'm a bit of a hypocrite, since I carry either a Colt Commander or Browning HiPower day to day, with my .380 Govt. and Mustang Pocketlite's for when I absolutely need something smaller. Though none are older than the '70s.

I really like the Colt 1903 in either .32 or .380, the trick is to find a modern round it will cycle reliably and practice with that tiny safety. My other pocket gun is a Taurus 85 Titanium, but any Airweight Smith .38 is the functional equivilent (or, yes, superior Smith guys ;) )

jph712

New in Town
You'd be surprised

You would be surprise at how easy it is to conceal fairly large frame handguns. I'm not a big person 5'8", 170lbs and on more than one occasion I've carried a full size 1911 on my person, and not in heavy coat weather either. I've got a buddy that carries a Para-Ord Warthog everyday and you would never know it (that's 11 rounds of .45 ACP concealed).

These days I'm more likely to carry a CZ50 in .32 ACP with hydrashoks or Winchester Silvertips.

JPH712

Dan G

One of the Regulars
I'm a huge fan of the 1911 and the .45 acp. Mine is specifically a Kimber and I love it! If concealment is an issue, I'm 6' 1'' and 150 pounds and can conceal mine under a white cotton shirt. If I can conceal it anyone ought to be able to!lol

On kind of a side note. Those Remington Rands may be worth some pretty big bucks. I recently saw one in good shape go for $2000. Not bad for a 60 year old gun huh? If that was mine, I'd probably clean it up and put it away maybe getting it out a couple times a year and shoot a few boxes of ammo through it. It'd be nice to have something like that to pass on.

vonwotan

Practically Family
Carebear - not the greatest photo, new camera and my first digital so I'm having trouble with close shots... The first is mine, an older Baby made at FN. The ivory grips that were in the box need repair so the factory grips are back. The second is the FN that I would like to find / afford with great scrollwork done at the factory. BTW - I second your suggestion of the Smith .38. I have the Titanium, just don't put too many +p rounds through it at the range ;).

As for older guns, some makes and models were just plain better years ago. The Model 70 Gold Cup was much tighter than the 80s, and the older Model 41s just seem smoother. Can you tell I tried a bit of Bullseye shooting? Unfortunately I'm just not built to compete with handguns, I am much more proficient with long guns.

419825689_b556c2cbb0_m.jpg

419825691_2078bd06af_m.jpg

carebear said:
While vintage guns are cool as history and novelty, on the very off chance I'd actually have to use mine for defense I'd go with a modern weapon. You typically get a more reliable mechanism in a smaller, lighter package.

I wouldn't mind the occasional old dressed up Baby Browning for a tux, as vonwoten should post a picture of (hint, hint), but for day to day make mine modern.

...Airweight Smith .38 is the functional equivilent (or, yes, superior Smith guys ;) )

Stinchcomb

One of the Regulars
AcmeNews said:

The true classics are cool and full of history. If you are in the market for a vintage handgun. I would suggest having it checked by a competent gun smith. Depending on how old your firearm obviously is, the steel they used back then will not stand up to the pressures of the new smokeless powder ammo used today. A gun smith will let you know how safe the gun is with modern ammunition. I have a couple of classics for fun target shooting with light target loads, but when it comes to self defense, I personally prefer a modern firearm. I’d say for carry and self protection, I would go with a remake of an old classic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran