Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do the Men of the Lounge want for Valentine's Day?

pgoat

One Too Many
Doctor Strange said:
Edward, we are totally on the same page. It's a bogus holiday promulgated by the greeting card and gift industries. Relationships are hard enough without additional invented-holiday performance pressure!

I hated it when I was married, and now that I'm unattached, it's (delightfully) a total non-event...

I don't mind it with sig. other when in a relationship, but always hated being given valentines by relatives, friends, etc. I never reciprocated, and luckily that's all over now!:D

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
OK - really?
I do not want anything, because I think this Valentine thing is a marketing scam. Just like mothers day and fathers day....just another way of dragging money out of our pockets.

If you can not think of your loved ones all year round, it sure doesn't help to do it on one special day. It only emphazises the lack of love the rest of the year.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Spitfire said:
OK - really?
I do not want anything, because I think this Valentine thing is a marketing scam. Just like mothers day and fathers day....just another way of dragging money out of our pockets.

If you can not think of your loved ones all year round, it sure doesn't help to do it on one special day. It only emphazises the lack of love the rest of the year.

I have to agree. Romance should last all year round, and the idea that I would need a kick to be romantic surely tells more about the relationship than the holiday.

Just my opinion, of course. Your mileage may vary.

Smithy said:
You're sharp today Spitty :)
And you seem pretty keen to edge that quip in yourself.

Edward

Bartender
pgoat said:
I don't mind it with sig. other when in a relationship, but always hated being given valentines by relatives, friends, etc. I never reciprocated, and luckily that's all over now!:D

Tell me about it. I used occasionally to get them in, blatantly from the family. i think the thing i found most offensive about it was that they obviously thought I cared one way or the other whether i got any. It's something I've bothered with in the past if I've been in a relationship - actually went quite out of my way to do something with it then, but I doubt that hardly counts as, well, it's obligatory in those circusmtances, non? ;) I did also make an effort last year in an attempt to impress somebody, but that of course backfiring reminded me just how pointless the whole thing is - bah humbug, again, and all that.

Being bought something I'd really like is always cool, especially if it's sometihng I really wanted but didn't feel I could justify buying for myself, like jewellery, or something else I'd really, really like and really don't need. Even better when it's something I'd like that much but wasn't aware of existing. Naturally, given the nature of the whole Valentines thing, something that linked somehow to the relationship itself, referencing a shared joke / enthusiasm / whatever would, I should imagine, be appropriate.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
[QUOTE="Doc" Devereux]And you seem pretty keen to edge that quip in yourself.
[/QUOTE]

Damn! Caught red handed...

Johnnysan

One Too Many
This morning, my wife (whom despite having had very little sleep last night as a result of tending to our daughter who is on her fifth bout of bronchitis/croup this winter AND also having a million other things to occupy her time about the house) got up and made me breakfast before I was off to the office. The extraordinary "special" moments in life are great, but it's the seemingly insignificant day-to-day kindnesses that we often take for granted that mean the most.

Thanks, Miss... ;)

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
Johnnysan said:
This morning, my wife (whom despite having had very little sleep last night as a result of tending to our daughter who is on her fifth bout of bronchitis/croup this winter AND also having a million other things to occupy her time about the house) got up and made me breakfast before I was off to the office. The extraordinary "special" moments in life are great, but it's the seemingly insignificant day-to-day kindnesses that we often take for granted that mean the most.

Thanks, Miss... ;)

That's sooooo sweet!!!

DblCoronaMS

One of the Regulars
I'll get a card and probably some Valentine candy from Dawn and Tyler. The card will be nice, the candy my fat diabetec behind does not need. Same with Easter.

My favorite holiday is Father's Day. My avatar pic was taken Father's Day '07. The Panama was a gift from my wife.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL