Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you do for Living?

ShesSoVaVaVoom

One of the Regulars
handle the finances of a major retail corporation...

kind of :)

oh and in a couple of weeks, back to being a full time student, and momma to my puppy Tomato, three full time jobs!

hehe

Eyemo

Practically Family
Professional photographer since 1985 in many aspects of camera pointing. From high-speed (slow motion) to TV camera/Film work. Now at the age of 42 working first time as freelance and finding it really scary…Check out my site… Need commissions to buy hats!... Any publishers out there??:)

LondonLuke

One of the Regulars
I'm currently working in finance down at Canary Wharf as an intern, but not for much longer- I'm hopefully going to uni in the autumn. Not sure how I feel about that, going from having a job and being treated like an adult, to going to a place where a lot of people will be rich kids who've never had to work a day in their lives and still expect people to wrap them in cotton wool and hold their hands.

Rufus-your job looks like great fun. I'm jealous!

Rufus

Practically Family
Cheers Luke, Good luck at University... I never made it there myself, but I think if you're focussed it's a great opportunity.

Thankfully most people are pretty unfocussed, so if you keep your eye on the ball, you can get to do what you want, if you work hard! ;-)

I've just got a deal to do ongoing Tank Girl series, which I'm thrilled with. Working with Alan (The writer) is a real privilege.

Today I'm starting a new mini series. Yesterday I drew this cover for Tank Girl.. I signed it on the little german helmet's badge.

Right... to work...

:) Ruf

PS_ Eyemo... You're site looks great...update us when the gallery is up and running... It looks very exciting!

MEG_COVER_blog.jpg

Mary

Practically Family
I've just go a bit of a dreamjob for me! It took ages and I have despaired many times. Felt like nobody wanted anything to do with me or valued my ecucation, (have a bachelor in Gender studies) but now I've found the place for me. (At least for some time.)

I'm going to work with (other;) )people who find it hard to get and keep jobs because of laungue difficulties, being sick-listed, not having good references or ever had had a job before. Most people I will work for are immigrants and it will be a great challenge to try to get jobs, places to try jobs and other activites that will lead to employment for them.

I wish you good luck in your job-hunt, Miss 1929.

And Rufus, please post a list of your favourite comics!

M

Rufus

Practically Family
Congratulations Mary!

Your job sounds amazing, and it must be lovely getting to work and help others. It must be very fulfilling making a difference to others lives.

Favourite comics.. umm..

I adore "Love and Rockets" (Because the main characters are women, and both Jamie and Gilbert Hernandez tell their stories from the women's perspective)

Hellboy, BPRD, Omega the Unknown, old Tank Girl (By Jamie Hewlett), White Out (About a female cop in Antarctica!), the CRIMINAL series by Ed Brubaker and Sean Philips, and a lot of artists work, Jordi Bernet, Albert Breccia, Joe Kubert, Guy Davis, Mike Mignola, Mike McMahon,aaaagh...too many.

I love comics... I'm a fully paid up art nerd.

Good luck in your new career.

Ruf

LondonLuke

One of the Regulars
Brett, I checked out your site, and saw the bit on pocket watches. Laughed the hardest today when I read " Hell, even Saddam Hussein rocked a pocket square when he was on trial–a man should never defend his war crimes without one."

Kishtu

Practically Family
I'm a PA to a senior manager.
And when I'm not doing that I'm a dressmaker.

Of the two I know which I'd rather be doing right this minute....

(One involves an office and 3 weeks holiday for a man who's forgotten to enable his email out of office reply. T'other involves three cats and my sewing machine in the living room.....)

Spiffy

A-List Customer
Sorry, Dr. Who-related gut reaction.

Anyway, have finally bid farewell to evil summer temp job and am playing housefrau until I can split outta my parent's house and scamper back to uni.

Once there, I will sleep late, drink too much, watch too many movies, and finish my Film Studies BA!!

Lillemor

One Too Many
Did I already write that I'm a homemaker? Am I the only traditional homemaker here? I never saw it as my call and it wasn't really planned. Heck, I couldn't cook to save my life when I met hub. Sometimes it's the most unpredictable things that brings the most joy and satisfaction in life. It's tough at times but I'm in the manager's chair and I like that:). I learnt so much more about life and had so many more boundaries pushed and passed more tests than I did in my entire academic life. Everyone always saw me as a spooky kid and an academic nerd. They really didn't see this coming. It's tough at times, and sometimes I feel like a full time secretary balancing letter/e-mail writing, phone answering, logistics and meeting negotiation because two of our three boys are mentally disabled and have constant changing needs and they're care demanding. Lovely boys though:)

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Hej, Lillemor-

I'm a Homemaker, of sorts, right now... Mr. Homemaker, for a few days longer.
Our 3 yr old daughter starts school/dagis/kindy in a couple of days

East Jylland, eh...

I lived in Århus for 6 years, then Köbenhavn for 2 years- now, suddenly,
Stockholm this year.

Missing Denmark a little now.

B
T

Laura Chase

One Too Many
klara said:
I'm a bookbinder

How exciting! I've always thought that was a grand and unfortunately dying profession.

I study art history and work as a financial manager on the side.

And oh wow Rufus, I'm impressed!

Rufus said:
Here's what I'm doing... a new mini series for IDW Comics... This is the cover I drew yesterday.

:) ruf

pristeen16_cover3_blog-1.jpg

klara

One of the Regulars
Laura Chase said:
How exciting! I've always thought that was a grand and unfortunately dying profession.

I study art history and work as a financial manager on the side.

Sad to say it's a modern industrial bookbinding I'm working at. Would love to work with conservation and restoration.

Studying art history sounds like so much fun.

Rufus

Practically Family
Thanks Laura.. I've just started drawing this series...

Klara, Bookbinding? Great! It heartens me that there's still people doing proper Art Craft jobs! I love binder shops... I always want to nose around.. there's one in Farringdon, near where I live, and I aalways peep through the windows!!

Laura Chase

One Too Many
klara said:
Sad to say it's a modern industrial bookbinding I'm working at. Would love to work with conservation and restoration.

Studying art history sounds like so much fun.

Oh well, but you have an interest in old-school binding? How did you get into it, is it something you can study or do you get an apprenticeship? There is one really old book-binding shop here in Copenhagen, it looks lovely. My boyfriend dreams of doing some amateur book binding, but the proper materials are hard to come by.

And yeah, art history is the best! ;) Love studying it.

Rufus said:
Thanks Laura.. I've just started drawing this series...

What have you drawn in the past? What's your background? Do you also write? I'm a huge comic book aficionado.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot