Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you do for Living?

Well, I work in a prison for the Alabama Dept of corrections. 12 hour shifts, locked inside a cube surrounded by several hundred inmates. Hoo-boy, the stories I could tell. Lol. Lets just say prison isn't like the movies. :)

As a retired AL LEO I know you have some stories. I've visited several of the institutions and never found one I wanted to work at. Which one are you assigned to, if I may ask? Knowing some of the history of the AL DOC, all I can say is God bless you and be safe.

I'd love to her the prison stories. Must be a lot of them since there are 2,298,300 people incarcerated in the USA, the largest number, by hard figure and by percentage of the population, on earth. The US has 4% of the earth's population, 22% of its prisoners. More than China, Russia, or North Korea.

Crazy isn't it. W/O getting too deep into the politics of it all, so much of it goes back to the 80's-90's when mandatory sentencing, enhancements, the 3 strike rule or habitual offender laws and such that sprung up during the "Just Say No" campaign were the rule of the day and the war on drugs that continues. We've lost that one, by the way.

Last edited:
I was retired but as Covid killed the travel we would do 4-5 months of the year I started a custom hat making business. Not sure I will live long enough to earn a 'living' at it but it is something I love to do and it earns a buck or two. I just counted them up and if I can count this as a career move then it is number six in the line of separate careers I have had in my working life.

Rats Rateye

New in Town
Well, I'm a medically retired LEO, who was severely injured by a very large and extremely dangerous... I'll just say he was a "villain who was involved with an extracurricular group of associates.". And though we won the fight, I lost the war and the career that I had worked for my entire life. Personally, I've done some great things that I'm very proud of while on the Dept. And though sometimes, I wish I would have called in that day instead of going in early, I hate to think what would have happened to one of my partners who might not have been as "capable"(If that sounds right?) as I was. Still, I'd give anything to have it all back.

Rats Rateye

New in Town
I hear ya Rats. Retired from IL Dept of Corrections after 26+ years. Stabbed twice, scalded 4 times, etc. Last 13 years worked High Risk Parole unit, don't miss the job at all, but worked with some great folks.
I agree. I miss my partners... at least the good ones. But I couldn't imagine dealing with all of the crap that's going on now. What a mess.

crawlinkingsnake

A-List Customer
Coached high school and college football for 33 years. Now retired and loving pert-near every minute of it. But still miss the close associations with players and coaches. But definitely not administrators like school principals and athletic directors who actually think they know how to run a football program.

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Unbelievable, will have to leave for work now...o_O

Thankfully, there’s short hours tomorrow again...

Old Mariner

One of the Regulars
Blissfully retired for about 2 years after spending 40 years as a psychotherapist and later administrator.

I think that, perhaps if I ever were to somehow manage "a career" (setting aside the fact that I am working on healing myself), a psychotherapist is probably what I should be. I would probably lean more toward an intuitive type of psychotherapist as I have an interest in Jung (even though his work is often dismissed). I tend to have people talk to me as though I already am a sort of therapist. Right now, as it is, I have 2 "clients". :confused: I have often wondered what it is about me that causes people to feel at ease enough with me in person to open up like they do. Better that than the alternative I suppose.:)

Old Mariner

One of the Regulars
I work on healing myself - on both the physical and non-physical levels. Not one's usual idea of a "career", but apparently for now, I live to heal and heal to live.

jackparker

New in Town
I'm a gardener and work in golf grounds, take care of garden like cutting the grass as per requirements and I'm happy with what I'm doing for a living. What do you guys do for a liviing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko