Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you do for Living?

Rufus

Practically Family
Hi Laura,

I can barely Type, let alone write!! I like working with other writers, as collaborations take you in directions you'd otherwise not venture. I'm currently drawing a big Tank Girl car race adventure... and I hate cars! So it pushes you outside of your comfort zone.

I worked for years in animation, on everything from Tony the tiger, Bugs Bunny to Gorillaz. Not really what I wanted to do, or intended, but great training nonetheless.

I work for 2000ad, a british comic, drawing Science fiction Judge Dredd, Low Life etc, and IDW Comics in the States, and have drawn Metal Gear Solid, Snaked (A horror mini series), Tank Girl and my new series pristeen16.

Alan Martin(Tank Girl writer) has asked me to be the regular Tank Girl artist, so I'll be doing that for the forseeable future.

Right... I'd better draw something..

Ruf

There's more of my work on my myspace, and blog..

http://rufusdayglo.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/rufusdayglo

Eyemo

Practically Family
Hey Rufus, Isn't it strange that a lot of Arty types can't spell for Premuts...
I consider myself a bilingual dyslexic.. (My first langauge is Welsh).. I literaly have to look at a word to see if it looks right..usualy it doesn't..Hi love speaking my two languages..but spell check is a God-send!..:)

klara

One of the Regulars
Rufus said:
Klara, Bookbinding? Great! It heartens me that there's still people doing proper Art Craft jobs! I love binder shops... I always want to nose around.. there's one in Farringdon, near where I live, and I aalways peep through the windows!!

That's so kind of you to say. :)

alexandra

Practically Family
I like my job but I'm getting so tired of the uniforms. We alternate colours and one of the colours is this orange yellow they call "gold" and whenever I wear it, everyone in my house calls me the great pumpkin.

//wrists.

Buddy

New in Town
Primarily I'm a software developer and systems analyst in the banking industry. I've been working in 3-tier client server banking implementation for ..gulp.. 20 years now. At least with the ongoing changes in the industry, the job never stays completely the same.

My other job is more a labour of love - I'm a travel agent specializing in cruise travel. Sad though that there are few classic ships and liners still operating. I'm on the last transatlantic of the QE2 in October before she retires, and at the point I think she'll be the last of the old transatlantic steam ships to ply the Atlantic. (Yes, she was converted to Deisel-Electric in 86, but she started as Oil Boilers-Steam.)

Other jobs I've had: Scientific Information Officer for a biomedical consulting firm, Reporter and Columnist for a weekly and a daily paper, Investor Relations Officer/Stock Broker for a publicly traded medical company and National Technical Support Director for a software company.

Jobs I wish I had: Pilot, Architect, Photographer.

Eyemo

Practically Family
Coolest TV job(s) I've ever had...Cameraman on/in Band of Brothers. Cameraman/Pilot on a documentary on the P51 Mustang (Battle Stations) Flew for 45mins in Miss Helen.
Cameraman on BBC's D-Day 6:6:44.. Wher I came off a landing craft with 30+ Marines.

Well happy I was..lol

Nighthawk

One of the Regulars
This question can be best answered by me in that purgatorial term known as 'college student.'

NH

arthur

Suspended
I'm a union carpenter and woodworker,for most of my 20 plus years in the trade I have been fortunate to have done very high end work both in residential and commercial const..But alas with the downturn in building I'm now doing garbage work,run as fast as you can fill the seams with caulk and move on,not very glamourous or fulfilling.Actually I feel fortunate to be working as many tradesman haven't worked in months.

Dread Scott

Familiar Face
Aww... Y'all are all cooler than me!

But here goes: Artist, Adjunct Instructor(college), interpretive design/exhibit design for a couple of National Parks (grant funded). And a little of this, a little of that.

Vanguard.45

New in Town
G-Man

Yes, I work for the government. No, not the FBI as the term coined by "Machine Gun" Kelley might imply, but I am in Federal law enforcement nonetheless. In actuality, the FBI came out of my agency back in the early 1900s.

My agency is within the Dept. of Homeland Security and, thus, I get to wear my hats and vested suits while walking the streets of Chicago in pursuit of those who prefer to take the shortcuts to wealth not afforded them within the bounds of the law. I am not Eliot Ness, nor have I played him on TV, but the hat helps me hearken back to such days- especially in Chicago!

Vanguard.45

Rufus

Practically Family
Mac Daddy,

My hat's off to you. Truly one of the most selfless jobs out there. Thank you.

Yours,
Rufus

tortswon

Practically Family
My jobs

My primary job is being a trial lawyer. I do nothing but civil cases. Additionally, I serve as a hearing examiner (kind of like a judge) for the Disciplinary Board of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania and (separately for the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board). Those involve dealing with nuisance lawyers and bars (in that order). Finally, I serve as the Project Director for the Drexel University Center for the Study of Food and Wine where I also serve as an Adjunct Associate Professor.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
arthur said:
I'm a union carpenter and woodworker,for most of my 20 plus years in the trade I have been fortunate to have done very high end work both in residential and commercial const..But alas with the downturn in building I'm now doing garbage work,run as fast as you can fill the seams with caulk and move on,not very glamourous or fulfilling.Actually I feel fortunate to be working as many tradesman haven't worked in months.

Move to Seattle, we are going strong out here. Too much work, infact.

Mac Daddy

New in Town
Rufus said:
Mac Daddy,

My hat's off to you. Truly one of the most selfless jobs out there. Thank you.

Yours,
Rufus

Thanks mate, not many jobs where you get to work an hour before your due to start because you love it so much, its not a job for me, a way of life. I couldn't be happier.

Now if only I could go back and be a firefighter in the 40's and 50's..........

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mac Daddy said:
Firefighter....doesn't get much better.

Good to see another Firefighter here. I've been a volunteer firefighter for the past 28 years, and you're right - it really doesn't get any better than that.

AudreyH

Familiar Face
Currently I'm a student, since I'm only 13 going on 14. lol But I've been getting into acting and modeling if that counts as a career of some what. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot