Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you do for Living?

NicknNora

A-List Customer
fernande said:
I'm new in town-

I worked as a makeup artist for film and print for several years, while in college and then afterwards- I specialized in vintage looks.then I ventured into fashion styling and "image consultation"- somehow I managed to carve out a niche' for myself doing personal shopping for vain wealthy celebutantes and naughty bad boy actors (who want to wear, say a vintage bowler, but don't know where to get it or a starlet who wants a flapper dress- but doesn't have the time to find it) I also fill very weird requests for other stylists- say "Can you find a 1930's Schiaparelli gown in MINT green size 6 in 4 days?"- why -yes, yes I can.
I have loaned clothing and expertise to TBS's "what not to wear", the BBC, MTV, and VH1- usually to musicians or actors that want to wear "vintage".
I loan out tons of vintage clothing for the Grammys,Emmy's, MTV awards, ect. (nice to make cash, and then get my treasures back!)

I have a line of fantastic women's vintage-esque shoes coming out (interpretations of my favorite styles from the victorian, 20s, 30s, 40s) this is my baby and I'm bankrupted myself to produce the most amazing "repros" every seen. (they don't look like repros!- I even custom molded the buckles and clasps- in Italy and worked with designers who previously did shoes for Manolo Blahnik and Marc Jacobs)

I also own a period textile company that in process of reproducing authentic weight COLD RAYONS in France- the only place where I've found the looms and the artisans to do it correctly), dimity cottons, chambrays-ect that haven't been seen since the 30s-40s- this is another hugely expensive project and I'm not sure if anyone- except perhaps my fellow Fedora Loungers- will care- or buy - ha-
This will be primarily a resource for the film industry (period movies)- and ambitious vintage sewing enthusiasts.

:eek:fftopic: I'm curious to hear from vintage sewing enthusiasts and other textile collector's to hear of your "fantasy" fabrics (or prints) you'd love to see.

I basically somehow managed to make some of my more "weird" hobbies
(collecting shoes- collecting rayon) into jobs. I love to meet others like me- since as we all know, doing this is a challenge and sometimes can really be maddening.
(I throw Scarlett O'Hara style fits- almost every day!)

:)

Is Fernande still posting here? I'd love to see the shoes she created.

PistolPete1969

One of the Regulars
I am a corrections officer (read overpaid babysitter) for the state of Ohio. It is not very glamorous, but it pays the bills. The hours are crappy, the uniforms are ugly, and there is WWWAAAYYY too much political correctness in the field.

Just my 2 cents

Pete

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Harp said:
I can recommend the U of Michigan and Oklahoma City University
--and OCU is a hidden gem among lower-ranked law schools.

Thanks Harp. I'll add it to the "look into" list. Amazing how much work I have left to do (LSAT/applications/rounding up scholarships and such) to be ready for next Fall.

Jedburgh OSS

One of the Regulars
I feel your pain...

PistolPete1969 said:
I am a corrections officer (read overpaid babysitter) for the state of Ohio. It is not very glamorous, but it pays the bills. The hours are crappy, the uniforms are ugly, and there is WWWAAAYYY too much political correctness in the field.

Just my 2 cents

Pete

Watching "Super Max" is as close as I want to get. I truly appreciate your underappreciated job, sort of like a necessary evil. I'll take the dynamite, cast boosters, and ANFO I use everyday over that. God bless you, sir.

Lorena B

Practically Family
Former mass caterer for my own business www.angelsonsite.com but I quit it as the environment i was giving my services was loaded of bigotry and male chauvinism ( generally coming from the site managers that wanted a 40 pence coffee or £3,00 lunches for free everyday)
After i moved to other country i have been a voluntary help desk and publishing assistant and now, i will be moving in February again to Orient and i am thinking about a vintage repro business, but this is still an idea.
Right now, the saddest true :unemployed:(

marvelgoose

One of the Regulars
I currently work for a large natural gas utility in new business development. I function as the single point of contact for all new installations from gas to a mobile home to large lines for industry. Nice versatile job in a very stable company - a blessing.

Formerly I was a broadcaster in radio, an ad agency exec, tv commercial producer, and all round communications guru. I still keep my hand in consulting on political campaigns.

For fun, I am a humor writer The Goose's Nest slash web designer. I have found it much less stressful to enjoy my creative passions as a hobby and not trying to make money off of them as I did in my former career.

PistolPete1969

One of the Regulars
C-Dot, Jedburgh......thank you for replying.

It is a thankless job, but it is endlessly entertaining. You have to maintain a sense of humor; luckily mine is very skewed. I am constantly amused at the "inmates" antics. But I can tell stories all day...

sixsexsix

Practically Family
Lorena B said:
Former mass caterer for my own business www.angelsonsite.com but I quit it as the environment i was giving my services was loaded of bigotry and male chauvinism ( generally coming from the site managers that wanted a 40 pence coffee or £3,00 lunches for free everyday)
After i moved to other country i have been a voluntary help desk and publishing assistant and now, i will be moving in February again to Orient and i am thinking about a vintage repro business, but this is still an idea.
Right now, the saddest true :unemployed:(

Lorena you're moving to Asia?!? Details plz!

Grant Fan

Practically Family
I am a special eduaction teacher for people with severe and pervasive disabilities. I have 5 student from ages 15-21. I am also a first year teacher.

MsStabby

One of the Regulars
Newly laid off. Whoohoo!!!!! I hated that job.

I do a small bit of side work, so I am thinking a lot about going out on my own. That is, I'll start thinking about it after a few solid weeks of loafing and lounging.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
1930_Italian said:
I own my own buisness - Personal Protective Services (Body Guarding).

Now that is one cool job! The stories I bet you could tell!

Grant Fan said:
I am a special eduaction teacher for people with severe and pervasive disabilities. I have 5 student from ages 15-21. I am also a first year teacher.

My high school is one of the few in the region to have such a program - it's called PIP (Planning for Independence.) I occasionally volunteered.
You must be a very patient and kind person to be a special needs teacher. I commend you for that :)

Lorena B

Practically Family
:eek:fftopic:
sixsexsix said:
Lorena you're moving to Asia?!? Details plz!
Hi Mich, no much to say yet, it will be early next year and once there i will see what is possible to do or not.
Will keep you posted thou ;)

UserX

New in Town
What do you do for a living?

I don't mean to pry at all. But I see some of your outfits that you wear. And it begs the question to me. What do you do guys for a living. I couldnt wear any of the nice suits you guys have as they wouldnt last but 5 mins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner