Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think of modern "Street/Punk" Fedoras?

What do you think of modern "Street/Punk" Fedoras?

• Nice

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Okay

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Not the Nicest thing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hate them

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I Can't believe where "Style is going"

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

The Good

Call Me a Cab
You know, the next time I encounter one of these being sold at my campus, I'm going to have to take a cell phone picture, and post it on here to see what you all thing of a modern stingy brim on me, in relation to my facial structure. Perhaps this could be a half decent way of realizing if a real fur felt stingy brim could work as well? Over a year ago, I almost bought one, actually, one of those polyester or fabric stingy brims.

2manyhats

Familiar Face
MisterCairo said:
They're like soft drugs. You get hooked, and work up to stronger stuff. Next thing, these guys'll be wearing waistcoats.
Guilty as charged. I like the stronger stuff.
New_Avatar_I_Made_by_ScaryHoboClown.gif

Tone

A-List Customer
In a way, the more they wear these bucket/punk/hipster denim fedora things (no matter how horrible and cheap their design) they are - to some degree - making it easier for the more smartly-dressed fedora wearers to be among the public as well.

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
I'm afraid it will be a passing phenomenon without adding many new members to the Serious Hat Wearers' Guild.

As far as their looks go, they are _much_ nicer than baseball caps, but still horrible in comparison to real hats.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I think they are dreadful, but if they would stop putting skulls and other pictures on them, I could like them more. Especially since they are getting the younger people into hat wearing.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
StetsonHomburg said:

Regarding those examples, I'm immediately turned off at the skull and crossbones. Those seem to be more "gang" designs, and give more of a message of violence I think.

That being said, I have seen similar ones to the above without violent images. I've tried one or two on at places, and while I've decided they aren't my thing, I don't hate them. I think they're unique to the traditional baseball cap, and are a step in the right direction.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In my eyes, these are just typical fodder for kids to feel they have one up on their gutter brethren. Granted, you do have to start somewhere - and I am guilty of owning a similar hat (it was plain black). But usually these hats signify nothing more than a chance to one-up the already bad fashion decisions of others; i.e. just like ball caps on sideways, just like shorts down at the ankles, just like every trend that has come and gone.

I don't think the majority of folks wear these as a step towards style, but more of a step towards the next "cool" thing. Believe me, if plastic bags were decorated enough, people would put those on their heads next. [huh]

hasselhoff

One of the Regulars
I think those hats look great with a EdHardy t-shirt... and I hate EdHardy!lol
A lot of young wearers think they look like "real" hats and one even told me: "Your Akubra ain't so bad... but I prefer mine (cheap hat...)"

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
This thread follows the formula of the "dumbest comment" thread, as illustrated to me by this portion of quote from the pm of another Lounger.

Poster : Yeah!!! That is SO TRUE!!! You guys are AWESOME and INCREDIBLY CLEVER. Man, I am so glad to be one of you, and not one of those STUPID-HEADS!!!!!!

Chorus: Oh, man -- have we ever put those kids in their place! We are totally superior and self-aware...

WineGuy

A-List Customer
Better than nothing...

shalvihats.jpg

I took my family and our best friends kids to the "Meat Packing District" in lower Manhattan for lunch. We must have passed street venders selling stingy brim Fedora's on every block. I ended up buying as a gift a hat for each of my friends kids(my daughter of course has one already). At first they were a little embarrassed to wear them, but by the end of the day they were totally into it. In fact, the son, who was the shy geeky type, became like a Jekyll & Hyde and started acting like "Joe Cool". He's been wearing the hat daily, even to school. His mom says she can't believe the transformation.

So I think it's a good thing. In the wine trade, if I can get one of the legions of non wine beer drinkers to try even a $6 bottle of wine...eventually they will move up to better wines.

Undertow

WineGuy said:
In the wine trade, if I can get one of the legions of non wine beer drinkers to try even a $6 bottle of wine...eventually they will move up to better wines.

I feel your pain there! :rolleyes:

Although, when I used to be in the business, they would eventually move from Moscato d'Astis to sweet rieslings, to fruity chardonnays, to merlot - and then back to beer, forever to swear off wine. lol

Perhaps the same thing could happen here? "punk" hat, to wool fedora, to fur felt fedora, to Akubra to Dobbs - and back to ball caps? ;)

I liked your anecdote, though. I know some people take to lids really well, and then it does end up being a step in the right direction. Heck, I got here eventually. :D

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
And oh, by the by, since the OP mentioned "punk" in the title, just thought I'd throw it out there that not all punk rockers are created equal....all 4 members of seminal punk band The Clash frequently wore fur felt fedoras. The bassist, Paul Simonon, actually has quite the hat collection as I understand:

23pose4clash02.jpg

01postclashdivers18.jpg

01postclashdivers20.jpg

1961MJS

Hi

I like the skull, I mean, you can't really run around like Captain Jack every day. lol

I PERSONALLY don't wear brims under 2.5 inches and that's kind of small I think, but it IS a hat, not a ball cap.

Later

Mike

Al Niente

Familiar Face
Soon they will tire of the stingy brims and want something "new." Then large brims will be all the rage. Hmmmm...I am a leader of fashion and ahead of the curve! :eusa_doh:

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Lefty said:
Chorus: Oh, man -- have we ever put those kids in their place! We are totally superior and self-aware...

Ouch.

Al Niente said:
Soon they will tire of the stingy brims and want something "new." Then large brims will be all the rage. Hmmmm...I am a leader of fashion and ahead of the curve!

I don't see why longer brims should naturally follow from shorter brims. If someone starts on longer brims, would that naturally lead to shorter brims? Or even longer brims? Or have they already reached a spiritual zenith by virtue of having landed in the middle?

rjenkins

New in Town
I don't particularly like them.
These appear to be the same as the item now known as a 'Trilby' in England, ie.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jaxon-Pinstripe-Trilby-Black-Large

Around the 1950s, the English Trilby seems to have been a felt hat identical to the American Fedora, though possibly in the narrower brim range, around 2" or so - At least that was the Trilby style my Father wore.

In later decades, the Trilby has been either jazzed up or messed up, depending on your personal feelings, and the patterned fabric, tweed etc types are now (in England at least) often associated with Punk rockers, Mods & dodgy London car dealers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy