Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think of modern "Street/Punk" Fedoras?

What do you think of modern "Street/Punk" Fedoras?

• Nice

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Okay

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Not the Nicest thing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hate them

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I Can't believe where "Style is going"

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

Tampahound

One of the Regulars
While I'm not terribly fond of them, I try to not be judgmental toward them as I don't want people to be judgmental about my fedoras! I agree with those that suggest that this is a step in the right direction.

fenris

One of the Regulars
guitarman said:
As long as they wear them CORRECTLY !! None of this backward crap !! Gosh, I HATE that !!:mad:

Oh, I've seen a few stupid people here who've worn their fedoras backwards... Dunno if they were just really ignorant or were trying to be hip.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
fenris said:
Oh, I've seen a few stupid people here who've worn their fedoras backwards... Dunno if they were just really ignorant or were trying to be hip.

I was at Sears and saw that one of the mannequins had a cheap stingy wool fedora on...backwards. So, when no one was looking, I turned it around. lol

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
Neophyte said:
I was at Sears and saw that one of the mannequins had a cheap stingy wool fedora on...backwards. So, when no one was looking, I turned it around. lol

Good move, Neo. Mannequins can be so stupid. They often behave like they don't even have brains.

But female mannequins are smart enough to assert their status--now they want to be called womennequin!

Neophyte

AlterEgo said:
Good move, Neo. Mannequins can be so stupid. They often behave like they don't even have brains.

But female mannequins are smart enough to assert their status--now they want to be called womennequin!

lol

Carnage

One of the Regulars
Neophyte said:

I was told off in Marks & Spencer the other day for changing a hat on a mannequin. It was wearing a very nice bold striped blazer and some chinos so I swapped the vile hat it was wearing for a linen panel flat cap. ;)

TrenchGuy

One of the Regulars
StetsonHomburg said:
Aren't those trilby hats? As I bought one of those and they were sold as trilby hats. And the hats in the pictures also fit the wikipedia description of a trilby.

But yeah, the one I bought has no pictures of skulls or anything like that. It's just a plain black trilby/fedora. Do you consider it a street/punk fedora as it was bought from a clothing store that is the favorite of many teenagers?

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
We'll probably never put the trilby vs. fedora controversy to bed. The short answer is that they are one and the same hat style. The long answer is that they are different, but the full answer is too long to get into here.

I'd give my right arm to see a sticky on this topic so that we could refer folks there for reference.

Carnage

One of the Regulars
AlterEgo said:
We'll probably never put the trilby vs. fedora controversy to bed. The short answer is that they are one and the same hat style. The long answer is that they are different, but the full answer is too long to get into here.

I'd give my right arm to see a sticky on this topic so that we could refer folks there for reference.

My only thoughts on the matter are:

"The Trilby Lounge" wouldn't sound as cool...

StetsonHomburg

Practically Family
TrenchGuy said:
Aren't those trilby hats? As I bought one of those and they were sold as trilby hats. And the hats in the pictures also fit the wikipedia description of a trilby.

But yeah, the one I bought has no pictures of skulls or anything like that. It's just a plain black trilby/fedora. Do you consider it a street/punk fedora as it was bought from a clothing store that is the favorite of many teenagers?
Well most "fedoras" today from what I have seen are trilby's... but most people just call them fedoras.. [huh]

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
StetsonHomburg said:
Well most "fedoras" today from what I have seen are trilby's... but most people just call them fedoras.. [huh]

Generally the distinction is just whether it is AmE or BrE. Recently Americans have started using the term trilby, generally to refer to stingy fedoras and these things, and the British have started using fedora in some way I don't quite understand, but the distinction is far from set.

D

Deleted member 12480

i have only seen one person look cool in one of them....

yoji from miami ink. :)

TrenchGuy

One of the Regulars
I get your point here, pal. I just want to know, do you gentlemen consider my hat a street/punk fedora because it's bought from a store that many teenagers buy their clothes from? It doesn't have any kind of pictures on it, it's made of wool and viscose(not denim or other "street" stuff). Just a plain black fedora.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
TrenchGuy said:
I get your point here, pal. I just want to know, do you gentlemen consider my hat a street/punk fedora because it's bought from a store that many teenagers buy their clothes from? It doesn't have any kind of pictures on it, it's made of wool and viscose(not denim or other "street" stuff). Just a plain black fedora.

No, I wouldn't consider a fedora like this a "street/punk fedora." Your hat is nicer than what teenagers tend to go for. It reminds me of my wool Jaxon c-crown fedora, which itself is a dark grey with a one-inch ribbon and a medium width brim (2 1/2 inches I think).

Undertow

TrenchGuy said:

I would suggest meandering through some of the previous posts to gather an idea of some loungers' sentiments towards what you've described. :rolleyes:

Dewhurst

Practically Family
TrenchGuy said:
I just want to know, do you gentlemen consider my hat a street/punk fedora because it's bought from a store that many teenagers buy their clothes from?

The place of purchase does not dictate, ex nihilo, the style, genre, or form of any given piece of headwear by necessity. You can get all kinds of hats in all kinds of places.

A hat may be whatever it will be irrespective of the store it is purchased in.

mike sullivan

New in Town
i really don't like them, i find it's a trend that will pass. i wear my fedora proudly. the classic fedora is a timeless look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland