Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think of modern "Street/Punk" Fedoras?

What do you think of modern "Street/Punk" Fedoras?

• Nice

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Okay

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Not the Nicest thing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hate them

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I Can't believe where "Style is going"

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

theinterchange

One Too Many
Dixon Cannon said:
I take it about as seriously as that silly hat that 'Jughead' wore in the comic books. Or that thing that 'Goober' wore.

-dixon cannon

It's the same type of hat... only Goober's was real, DC. ;)

On another note, I was in at Bass Pro Shop last night and there were hats literally everywhere in the clothing department. None of them were what we'd call serious, but it was refreshing to see them. :) Though, I did almost buy a cotton Readhead brand Scala/Dorfman Pacific hat for wearing around the house.

Randy

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
theinterchange said:
On another note, I was in at Bass Pro Shop last night and there were hats literally everywhere in the clothing department. Randy
Bass Pro...The Man Mall.
I'm in trouble if they start carrying nice hats. Too many of my obsessions in one place...

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
feltfan said:
I'd hardly call them "punk" anything, unless I misunderstand
Justin Timberlake's genre.

They tend to be worn by the high-school and college 'punks.' Not much relation to actual punk, but that is the association most of my peers have with them.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fly Boy said:
Such horrible looking hats.

I suppose they are made for a market that will wear them maybe twice and chuck 'em though.
I think they are just perfect for tentatively exploring a style. Both manufacturer and wearer can tiptoe into hats without blowing a big budget on something that might not be suitable. On the other hand, if the wearer finds that it "works," he might buy other kinds of hats. I think the desire for authenticity will drive a push for felt hats among those younguns who like the look.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
danofarlington said:
I think the desire for authenticity will drive a push for felt hats among those younguns who like the look.

Which will drive production, which will hopefully lead to affordable hats for me.

theinterchange

One Too Many
feltfan said:
I'd hardly call them "punk" anything, unless I misunderstand
Justin Timberlake's genre.

Timberlake's genre is one of confusion about ethnicity. ;) I guess he's just trying to bring sexy back with his hats.... lol

I don't really see why anyone would hate these hats with a passion. They in reality are only inanimate objects, it's the wearer who brings the attitude or negative look to the party. Having said that, I must say the ones with skulls, guitars, or dragons are about the most ridiculous looking things a body can stick on their head.

Randy

Neophyte

theinterchange said:
Timberlake's genre is one of confusion about ethnicity. ;) I guess he's just trying to bring sexy back with his hats.... lol

Randy

Which is odd, because if you listen to the words of the song, apparently bringing sexy back involves being an effiminate tool.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Neophyte said:
Which is odd, because if you listen to the words of the song, apparently bringing sexy back involves being an effiminate tool.

I've never actually listened to the words, but he's always struck me as both effiminate and a tool, so that sounds about right.

justin_timberlake.jpg

And an album cover of a guy stepping on a disco ball in shoes that pointy doesn't exactly scream Marlboro Man..

Justin-Timberlake-Future-Sex-Love-365558.jpg

I will admit to somewhat liking "What Goes Around", one of my only dips into hip hop/rap apart from parody like Weird Al.

Randy

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Neophyte said:

Now I'm no fan of Justin Timberlake, but I have to give the guy credit, he's a great entertainer. Did you see his appearances on Saturday Night Live this past season? But I really have to take issue with the statement that he is "effeminate." Just because he doesn't project YOUR idea of masculinity does not make him effeminate. I actually see very little femininity about him, compared to other pop culture figures.

theinterchange

One Too Many
jlee562 said:
Now I'm no fan of Justin Timberlake, but I have to give the guy credit, he's a great entertainer. Did you see his appearances on Saturday Night Live this past season?

I've actually never watched a single episode of Saturday Night Live in my life, matter of fact, I've only sat through one entire episode of any late night show. ;) And I also can't say that I've ever seen him perform, so I can't comment on his showmanship.

What other pop culture figures are you referring to? Timberlake's always struck me as prissy. He does have a flair for style most of the time... I just don't care for him in hats.

Miss Neecerie said:
But wait....he is smashing the disco ball with his foot....surely smashing and destruction is uber-manly!

In my book and with the image shown, not really. Were he using something like an axe, I'd have to say yes it is manly.

Neophyte

Now that I'm out of class, allow me to reiterate.

I never said that Justin Timberlake was an effiminate tool. I said that this is the message I get from the lyrics of the song. My entire post was an :eek:fftopic: comment about the nature of the song and the concept of "bringing sexy back", whatever the hell that means lol.

JT is a talented performer, though I am no fan of his music. As I'm quite sure that he doesn't write his own songs, so I can't blame him for that.

I apologize for getting this thread :eek:fftopic: , and for any offence.

1OldGI

Familiar Face
J B said:
If you mean the ones you can easily buy at Target, Walmart, or anywhere else they're sold, I don't think they're my thing, so much as the wider brimmed fur felts and straws are. They can look alright, or even cool on the right person, though.

+1 Since I only have a vague memory of being a 20 something, my physical proportions do not allow me to successfully pull off a Justin Timberlake stingy brim and I have less than zero interest in appearing to be an aging hipster I really must pass on the street punk fedoras. Since what others choose to adorn their domes with neither breaks my legs or shrinks my wallet I really don't concern myself with their choices. That said, most of the air brushed stingy brims I've seen in the aisles of Target and Walmart (on the shelf or on the street) look an awful lot like something one would purchase at the state fair from some guy with a Joe Dirt mullet. Thanks but no, I'll stick with my larger brim panamas and wool felt fedoras. For me, these hats are just a whole lot more universally acceptable. I can wear either with a suit, a button down collar and tie or an aloha shirt.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
theinterchange said:
I've actually never watched a single episode of Saturday Night Live in my life, matter of fact, I've only sat through one entire episode of any late night show. ;) And I also can't say that I've ever seen him perform, so I can't comment on his showmanship.

What other pop culture figures are you referring to? Timberlake's always struck me as prissy. He does have a flair for style most of the time... I just don't care for him in hats.

In my book and with the image shown, not really. Were he using something like an axe, I'd have to say yes it is manly.

Wait. What hAppens if a man does not own nor know how to use an axe? Does that plus a suit and hat move him into effeminate territory?

Neophyte

:eek:fftopic: :eek:fftopic: :eek:fftopic: :eek:fftopic: :eek:fftopic:

Guys, do not let my comment make this thread controversial! This has gotten way off topic and could lead to some heated argument.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
If this goes back to discussing hats noone will accidently feed the situation that is developing.;) Let that stuff stay in the other parts of FL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner