Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think of modern "Street/Punk" Fedoras?

What do you think of modern "Street/Punk" Fedoras?

• Nice

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Okay

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Not the Nicest thing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hate them

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I Can't believe where "Style is going"

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

cptjeff

Practically Family
Yeps said:
Generally the distinction is just whether it is AmE or BrE. Recently Americans have started using the term trilby, generally to refer to stingy fedoras and these things, and the British have started using fedora in some way I don't quite understand, but the distinction is far from set.

As the world's foremost resource* in proper hats, I propose that we set a nice firm distinction.

May I propose: A cut and sew brimmed hat with some sort of crease is a Trillby. If it's not cut and sew- straw or felt, it's a fedora.

*tongue firmly in cheek

cptjeff said:
...May I propose: A cut and sew brimmed hat with some sort of crease is a Trillby. If it's not cut and sew- straw or felt, it's a fedora.
Most of my lids have bound edges (all but 2) & I consider none of them a Trilby. None of my brims are thinner than 2 1/2"... ;)

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Blackthorn said:
I wouldn't be caught dead in one. I'd sooner wear a baseball cap.

I wouldn't be caught dead in a baseball cap! I'd sooner wear a cleverly folded piece of turkey lunch meat upon my head.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
still one of the best sites ever
user_pic_iframe21.jpg

but this guy is trying too hard to be Don Draper
user_pic_iframe1.jpg

cptjeff

Practically Family
gtdean48 said:
Most of my lids have bound edges (all but 2) & I consider none of them a Trilby. None of my brims are thinner than 2 1/2"... ;)

Cut and sew means something cut from fabric and sewn together. Bound brims would not qualify a hat as one, the hat body itself is still on piece of blocked felt.

And I should also add to the proposed definition structured and stingy for the trillby. Otherwise you get tilleys and bucket hats, and I do not wish to disparage those honorable hat forms.

But basically, a fedora shape that's been blocked versus a fedora shape that's been sewn.

Bustercat

A-List Customer
They aren't bad, but the ones with embroidery on em are ugly. I own a couple, nothing wrong with a fun, cheap stingy hat.
Shame is they are a fad, like 'trucker hats' so I expect them to disappear and kill any fedora resurgence in the process. Could be a good thing.
People don't know how to wear em well, generally... way back on their head or sort of placed there unthinkingly, unmatched to anything else the person wears (usually a tshirt and shorts.)

One Too Many
Fedoras

I think about it wich the fedora style born with large brim style, the modern hats are been used by people with long hair and some others types on them , trying what the people turn eyes around them, with small brims and rare style hats. I like the clasic styles. ;) ;) ;)

Kaonashi

Familiar Face
For me they´re ok (it´s almost the only thing i can get here), but not the ones with skulls/embroidry on them... i only own one "real hat" and don´t feel like wering it every time i want to wear a hat (it´s too hot now here)...

One Too Many
Hola ¡¡¡

Kaonashi said:
For me they´re ok (it´s almost the only thing i can get here), but not the ones with skulls/embroidry on them... i only own one "real hat" and don´t feel like wering it every time i want to wear a hat (it´s too hot now here)...
Saludos desde S.L.P. mi hermano. Que estes bien.:eusa_clap

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
okay

i voted okay, they dont bother me much and sometimes even cheer me up.
i was surprised the votes didnt go even more strongly against them .
until i remembered what an open minded and polite society that i am now a part of.

Pompidou

One Too Many
I think they're okay. I wouldn't wear one, but then, I wouldn't wear a cowboy hat, either. There are more hats I wouldn't wear than that I would. I don't even care if hats become popular again. I'm just wearing one because I want to.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
150719541 said:
...trying what the people turn eyes around them, with small brims and rare style hats. I like the clasic styles. ;) ;) ;)

People do look for rare styles, that is true.

Strangely, the "rare" styles are frequently fatuities. Populous "fad" attempts at style typically inspired by insipid celebs and their inane stylists. Weird: that so many people should equate unique taste with rampant copying mechanisms.

Just an observation. We should be on the lookout for things we do or wear simply because others do or wear them.

James71

A-List Customer
I dont have a problem with the kids in their training hats. They look better than bloody baseball caps on sideways.

My only concern is that people will see me in my grown up mans hats and assume that I am trying to be young and hip and fit into the sub GenY group.

Still..... I will be wearing my hats long after this fad is over and I will be back to being just plain weird.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I find the cloth styles to be a bit much... I do own a Goorin, but its a summer straw hat, and I shortened the brim to a super stingy 1 inch, and it works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner