Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think of this New Flat Head Leather Jacket

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don’t know if they’re open on the weekends but I’m gonna check with them on Monday if not and see if they’ll let me test out one Aero jacket without committing to purchase.
I’m pretty sure they are not going to go for that. The purpose of the fit jacket process is to insure the right fit for your order. If the jacket they send doesn’t fit properly then they know what to tweak for your custom order. I don’t think they will send a jacket out though until you have paid for it..

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up

Aloysius

Haha, glad you posted these. I was going to but then decided against because OP thinks I have an obsession with him.

Damon141

Practically Family
I
Haha, glad you posted these. I was going to but then decided against because OP thinks I have an obsession with him.
It’s ok, I don’t mind just as long as I don’t find you rifling through my waste bin or parked down the street from me.

Seriously though it’s ok , just don’t take things so personally. It was just a little strange that you came running to John Chapmans defense when I mentioned that he has a 5 year wait according to fellow members accounts but advertises a 13 month wait on his site, accepts new orders under those false pretenses. Then won’t respond to any emails.
I too read that Greg was going to work for him but we don’t know these people personally and this is just online forum gossip.
Greg clearly isn’t the only machinist in the world and with effort John could find a machinist or train one, there are other companies that make jackets here in the USA some large and some small. So it’s not impossible to find help though it could take time to find the right help. But clearly he doesn’t even want to hire a single person, not even someone to handle day to day office work, emails, social media. And anyone that has had a terrible boss in their lifetime, it’s not hard to imagine that there is a strong possibility that it might be hard to work under him. People are not perfect as we see with another maker who is known to throw his employees under the bus.
Personally as a business owner I find it unprofessional to run a business like he is, the man is not young and what would happen if something happens to him, as a one man show. It’s already not fair that the wait time is false but what would happen if he was sick, people would have to fight to get their money back. I guess I look at this differently but I would want my business to thrive and being that he is known to make outstanding products, why not provide good service also by having customer service.
That’s what led me to my previous post. My point and concerns are obviously valid and I was just venting about it because I too would like to own one of his jackets, buy American, support a small business but he makes it nearly impossible to do so.

Damon141

Practically Family
You would think with economic issues and rising prices on commodities that the wait times for custom jackets in general would be lower but maybe that doesn’t apply because of the niche nature of this market or possibly staffing issues. After my initial judgment on Langlitz I did some more searching and came according a couple excellent looking racing timberline jackets that fit the wearer perfect, and though I was initially looking for something with subtle unique details like French seams, skived edges, finely spaced and straight stitching, piping over the zippers, Shinki leather and smooth rayon linings.
You start to realize all of the above can’t outweigh an excellent fit, and as far as cafe racers go, Langlitz has the ability to fit better than anyone, including Himels Kensington which I love. (Ofcourse you have to factor in the body shape of the wearer, but the Langlitz wearer I mentioned also has a Kensington and the way the Langlitz molds to the wearer is unmatched)

This search also made me see that in the past they had 1-2 months wait time but now it’s up to 1 year.

Aloysius

I wasn't just talking about Good Wear. I'm not even a customer of his…

I was just saying that you cannot expect a small workshop like Lost Worlds or Good Wear or Field to be as efficient as an atelier, let alone a corporation. And the other side of that is that the customers wouldn't want an assembly line jacket if they're getting in the queue with these guys.

Someone savvy enough to be ordering from one of those three (or other similar firms) could easily just order from somewhere bigger if desired.

Bizarre that you took it as me taking things personally, when you're the one who accused me of having an obsession with you.

red devil

You would think with economic issues and rising prices on commodities that the wait times for custom jackets in general would be lower but maybe that doesn’t apply because of the niche nature of this market or possibly staffing issues. After my initial judgment on Langlitz I did some more searching and came according a couple excellent looking racing timberline jackets that fit the wearer perfect, and though I was initially looking for something with subtle unique details like French seams, skived edges, finely spaced and straight stitching, piping over the zippers, Shinki leather and smooth rayon linings.
You start to realize all of the above can’t outweigh an excellent fit, and as far as cafe racers go, Langlitz has the ability to fit better than anyone, including Himels Kensington which I love. (Ofcourse you have to factor in the body shape of the wearer, but the Langlitz wearer I mentioned also has a Kensington and the way the Langlitz molds to the wearer is unmatched)

This search also made me see that in the past they had 1-2 months wait time but now it’s up to 1 year.

Langlitz makes some of the best patterns, amazing range of movement while still looking good.... when you get the fit you want. Some forum members have been disappointed with distance fittings, so it is best to go to their shop if that is an option.

I was just saying that you cannot expect a small workshop like Lost Worlds or Good Wear or Field to be as efficient as an atelier, let alone a corporation. And the other side of that is that the customers wouldn't want an assembly line jacket if they're getting in the queue with these guys.

Someone savvy enough to be ordering from one of those three (or other similar firms) could easily just order from somewhere bigger if desired.

Bizarre that you took it as me taking things personally, when you're the one who accused me of having an obsession with you.

I wouldn't lump Lost Worlds with these other two, they have alwayrs respected their lead times which aren't as long either.

Damon141

Practically Family

It was more like you attacked me for speaking my mind about a particular company or person really. This isn’t about assembly line or anything else, it’s about business and if you find yourself unable to run a business then you hire help.

There is a person on here that basically attacks Himel, Bill Kelso, Eastman at every opportunity, why would I care and nobody comes after him for speaking his mind, why would they?
Maybe because I’m new here where the other member has been here forever and seemingly has 50 plus jackets.
In any case it’s not a big deal, I don’t know if it’s a language barrier or what but even now you are defensive. When I say obsessed, it was more in a sarcastic tone, just that someone would time out of their day trying to defend Goodwear leathers business practices is just not something I would do, it’s very argumentative and unless you are employed or related to him I can’t think of any reason for defending someone that has poor business practices which I pointed out.
Imagine if you didn’t read these forums, and know the truth of the 5 years wait.
Imagine if you chose him instead of say Langlitz which both advertise basically a year, then imagine you were counting on that jacket for a gift, or any other purpose.
Then a year passes by you find out it could take 4 more years, you then realize you could have just gone with Langlitz abs had your jacket but now you have to order all over again abs wait another year to have a jacket.

Aloysius

I'm sorry, but there is no one who is simultaneously deep enough in this hobby to know what Good Wear is, let alone to place an order, who isn't aware of such things…

Personally, for a one-off jacket like that I'd go with Sheeley, but again, these are not household names. No one is cross-shopping these guys with Langlitz or Vanson or the like as you present.

I'm not 'defending' any of those makers so much as taking issue with your framing contrasting them negatively against a mostly-imagined notion of the Japanese brands.

And why exactly are you rehashing this whole conversation here, anyway? I thought this thread was about cafe racers.

Damon141

Practically Family
Langlitz makes some of the best patterns, amazing range of movement while still looking good.... when you get the fit you want. Some forum members have been disappointed with distance fittings, so it is best to go to their shop if that is an option.

I wouldn't lump Lost Worlds with these other two, they have alwayrs respected their lead times which aren't as long either.
That’s good advice and not a bad idea, I live in Florida and like to travel to a colder climate during the winter around the holidays, I’ve never been to Oregon and it looks from pictures like a beautiful state, if I do get the chance to spend a holiday in a cabin in Oregon then a pit stop in Portland would be ideal considering the wait makes it more of a future purchase. I can picture the Racing Timberline in the blue leather with standard non quilt/padded shoulders. I love the shape how they waist comes in and flairs out slightly.

@red devil; I read you have experience with Tenjin Works, i emailed them today to see if they provide service to overseas customers. As far as Cafe Racers go, the design is pretty simple but after reading about the vegetable tanned leather they seem like they have a real passion for what they do. I could see a Black leather version I with the 2 tone they do, red inside the collar and red lining, red gussets inside the wrist zipper.
I also contacted FourSpeed but they might be out of my price range as options seem to add up for leather changes and size modifications, that’s even if they accept orders from overseas

Attachments

• 0316EDF1-3336-4ED0-A7A6-24717D5F98EB.jpeg
    0316EDF1-3336-4ED0-A7A6-24717D5F98EB.jpeg
    242.8 KB · Views: 64
  • AE67C28D-AC09-4AA5-B250-66B2E0583C3B.jpeg
    AE67C28D-AC09-4AA5-B250-66B2E0583C3B.jpeg
    247.3 KB · Views: 53

Aloysius

I’ve never been to Oregon and it looks from pictures like a beautiful state, if I do get the chance to spend a holiday in a cabin in Oregon then a pit stop in Portland would be ideal considering the wait makes it more of a future purchase. I can picture the Racing Timberline in the blue leather with standard non quilt/padded shoulders. I love the shape how they waist comes in and flairs out slightly.

Check out the Langlitz Japan Instagram and basically use it as a secret menu (to borrow @El Marro’s description) for the cool stuff they make but don’t show on their American page. They will make all of those items on request, as long as you ask for them.

El Marro

I have four Good Wear jackets that John has made for me. I did wait almost three years for the first one but the last two jackets were all right around a 12 month lead time from deposit to receipt of the jacket.
I have found John to be slow responding to emails and calls but I just keep trying and eventually he answers the phone and we get the ball rolling.
I know not everyone has had such a good experience with Good Wear and that sucks. I still find it a little annoying to see him singled out and insulted by people who know nothing about him.

Damon141

Practically Family
Check out the Langlitz Japan Instagram and basically use it as a secret menu (to borrow @El Marro’s description) for the cool stuff they make but don’t show on their American page. They will make all of those items on request, as long as you ask for them.
I looked and they have a lot of creativity that they are not advertising on their site. A whole new world.

I hope he does not mind me using his fit pictures but this Langlitz fit is incredible, clearly the wearers body type is going to influence the fit but in my eyes it looks better than his Himel Kensington which is my favorite jacket, ironically the jacket that started my love for vintage inspired leather jackets. Don’t get me wrong, the Kensington fits him great too, and this might be the difference between the leather, my Himel Shinki in pigment finish was stiff, but that Langlitz is made for him.

If my wallet allows then I will own a Timberline one day but right now I’m looking for a 6 months or less wait time since I am waiting on 2 Fields, I can’t get carried away. It’s just at this time the Fields are not due till March or April if on track, so I wanted one for this season.

I know Aero is an option but I’m just afraid of that (I don’t know what to call it) wrinkling effect around the collar or neckline, almost like the weight of the jacket hangs of the neck rather than draping on the shoulders. I know it’s not every time but the prices are pretty steep and I just have the feeling in the back of my mind that I could get a better fit even if I have to spend just a little more.

@El Marro; It’s not singling him out, if anything I am potentially helping someone that might not find the true wait time and order unknowingly thinking they were going to have a jacket in a year. I had to add that because who could not agree.

I truly wanted and still want that perfect J100 copy, this is about a simple change to his website which he can easily do, simply change the wait time to the correct estimate and if your not going to answer email messages and don’t want to hire someone then just explain why. Many people can stumble onto his site from a search for A-2’s or His other models, find a picture on this forum or the other popular one, then place an order unknowingly because not everyone is going to find the waiting time by spending lots of time on these forums. It’s not singling him out, it’s pointing out something with an obvious fix.
In a perfect world he would find a couple machinists and everyone could enjoy his jackets.

Attachments

• FF3EBE00-B579-47A8-9DCA-8E62B12A83F2.jpeg
    FF3EBE00-B579-47A8-9DCA-8E62B12A83F2.jpeg
    341 KB · Views: 63
  • 99B2DE4F-4C2C-4622-9699-E36768C475D4.jpeg
    99B2DE4F-4C2C-4622-9699-E36768C475D4.jpeg
    62.2 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

marker2037

Practically Family
I don’t know if they’re open on the weekends but I’m gonna check with them on Monday if not and see if they’ll let me test out one Aero jacket without committing to purchase.
No, she won't do that. That's not how it works. You have to buy and once you buy, you are committed. You can only exchange and/or use it as a fit jacket.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
It was more like you attacked me for speaking my mind about a particular company or person really. This isn’t about assembly line or anything else, it’s about business and if you find yourself unable to run a business then you hire help.

There is a person on here that basically attacks Himel, Bill Kelso, Eastman at every opportunity, why would I care and nobody comes after him for speaking his mind, why would they?
Maybe because I’m new here where the other member has been here forever and seemingly has 50 plus jackets.
In any case it’s not a big deal, I don’t know if it’s a language barrier or what but even now you are defensive. When I say obsessed, it was more in a sarcastic tone, just that someone would time out of their day trying to defend Goodwear leathers business practices is just not something I would do, it’s very argumentative and unless you are employed or related to him I can’t think of any reason for defending someone that has poor business practices which I pointed out.
Imagine if you didn’t read these forums, and know the truth of the 5 years wait.
Imagine if you chose him instead of say Langlitz which both advertise basically a year, then imagine you were counting on that jacket for a gift, or any other purpose.
Then a year passes by you find out it could take 4 more years, you then realize you could have just gone with Langlitz abs had your jacket but now you have to order all over again abs wait another year to have a jacket.

I'd be interrested to know what that person said about Eastman?

red devil

That’s good advice and not a bad idea, I live in Florida and like to travel to a colder climate during the winter around the holidays, I’ve never been to Oregon and it looks from pictures like a beautiful state, if I do get the chance to spend a holiday in a cabin in Oregon then a pit stop in Portland would be ideal considering the wait makes it more of a future purchase. I can picture the Racing Timberline in the blue leather with standard non quilt/padded shoulders. I love the shape how they waist comes in and flairs out slightly.

@red devil; I read you have experience with Tenjin Works, i emailed them today to see if they provide service to overseas customers. As far as Cafe Racers go, the design is pretty simple but after reading about the vegetable tanned leather they seem like they have a real passion for what they do. I could see a Black leather version I with the 2 tone they do, red inside the collar and red lining, red gussets inside the wrist zipper.
I also contacted FourSpeed but they might be out of my price range as options seem to add up for leather changes and size modifications, that’s even if they accept orders from overseas

The shop was a lot of fun to visit, I ended up buying an OTR death head cascade which fit to my surprise. I had been told that it was only designed for athletics builds which I am not. But when I tried it on, I was more than happy with the fit!

Yes they do, but I don't know how often they get overseas orders. I helped a friend get a good fitting jacket from them a couple of years or so back. Back then their communication in English was limited, and answers were a bit slow. With all that said, he did get a good fitting jacket.

Regarding Aero, from my biased point of view, I don't see the point of going with them when you can order a Johnson Leather jacket that has a much better pattern. They also provide a wider range of leathers.

Damon141

Practically Family
I'd be interrested to know what that person said about Eastman?
You I think, about some political stuff. Then others rant about Stu from lost worlds, he is a target for many.
What do I care? I don’t know these people personally and never will.
Everyone is entitled to their opinions, that’s why I voiced mine about Goodwear which could save someone time and money knowing that they won’t get their jacket in the advertised year.

Just like my experience with Lewis Leather might help someone. That’s what these boards are for, opinions.

And if owners of these companies want to spout off political nonsense then people are entitled to say something.
Or not answer emails while they have your money then people should say something.

It’s when people run to defend these owners or companies because of their own experience while simultaneously disregarding yours, that’s called getting singled out.

Damon141

Practically Family
The shop was a lot of fun to visit, I ended up buying an OTR death head cascade which fit to my surprise. I had been told that it was only designed for athletics builds which I am not. But when I tried it on, I was more than happy with the fit!

Yes they do, but I don't know how often they get overseas orders. I helped a friend get a good fitting jacket from them a couple of years or so back. Back then their communication in English was limited, and answers were a bit slow. With all that said, he did get a good fitting jacket.

Regarding Aero, from my biased point of view, I don't see the point of going with them when you can order a Johnson Leather jacket that has a much better pattern. They also provide a wider range of leathers.

We will see what if anything Tenjin says. Just keeping my options open as I don’t want to regret what I choose.

Aero would be an option if I wanted another model besides the Board Racer which is known to be hit or miss, once I get this cafe racer thing out of my system they might have something else I like, I surely won’t be stuck with a no refund situation for wanting to try on a jacket. Sleeves can be shortened, waist can be tapered, length can be altered but if the size that will fit my chest and shoulders doesn’t sit right on me then I don’t want to be stuck with it. I can see why they have the policy because they don’t want slot of mailing back and forth with people returning them since they are a small company, it’s not like they are Macy’s.
If I was tall and thin then the board racer would probably fit, it fits perfectly on some.

It may very well be Johnson, you don’t really hear anything bad about the way they fit. I exchanged emails with them about alterations and they are quick responders and were very knowledgeable and helpful though I decided to sell that Himel just because it was to big on too many measurements, generally meant for a tall person

Aloysius

Aero would be an option if I wanted another model besides the Board Racer which is known to be hit or miss

Just FYI, I think you're mixing up Aero's cafe racer (which some, though not all, people have had a creasing issue with) with their board racer (Buco J-100), which pretty much fits everyone perfectly as long as the size is right (easy if you go through Thurston). Likewise the cross-zip that has the same pattern as the board racer (Ridley) doesn't have that issue even on people who had the cafe racer creases.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko