Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

StewartU

New in Town
Here is what i have been using lately.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    583.5 KB · Views: 211

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Today was a leisurely shave with a Gillette Aristocrat, fresh Derby Blade, C O Bigelow shave soap and a Colonel Conk Badger brush. 3 passes, a splash of Pinaud Clubman and was wife approved!

Giftmacher

One Too Many
I guess nobody would make a present out of that... Anyway, that is not reality these days for people posting on FL, I'd guess most people here using DE razors use them just because they can. And they want to put the time and effort to get a nice shave. Part of a ritual. It's worth it to me.
I don't suppose that someone might want to shave with it, most of the blades are too rusty. I just wanted to restore it and keep it only for display. It comes from 50's-60's by the way :smile:

Giftmacher

One Too Many
todays car boot find, I'll be using the razor as soon as my Derby blades arrive....there's a couple of things missing from the set but it is all immaculate save the leather case which has some storage wear but not much;
Do you know for what all those cases are? One for the brush, sure, but there are another two. I have similar set from 1956 and there is similar content.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
I guess the long one for tooth brush and the other identical ones for shaving brush and pretty sure the other one is for soap stick as I've seen a couple of other complete unused kits for sale.....the holes in the end are a red herring making us think that they are for powder but they are for ventilation of damp items as are the holes in the ends of the tooth brush holder.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
ok I used today the Arko soap and Derby blade in the set I ordered off a British Ebay seller 'shavingworld', the set was around £10 IIRC? and included a mechanically opening DE razor which I didn't realise...which was nice!
Anyway it's a bit early to comment on shaving rashes etc however the soap lathered up very well the brush is great if a little rotund to fit in one of my chromium containers from my weekend car boot find travelling set, though the Arko soap fits in perfectly, I used 3 passes and the Derby blades were fine and dandy, I also used the alum block after...which stung a little but I kinda liked that!!!

totallyfrozen

One of the Regulars
I've been exclusively using Nivea products for that last few years. Their shaving gel and or cream is very smooth and works great, but the best product they have out is their post shave balm. It's the only after shave product I've found that doesn't burn or sting when I put it on. I know some guys like to feel the "invigorating" sting on their face so they feel like they just put something on their faces (as if they somehow didn't know they'd just put something on their faces). I don't like the sting, myself...so the Nivea Men line is the blue ribbon winner for me.

I use a Gillette Mach 3 Turbo and like it a lot, but recently I've been thinking of making the switch over to a double edge razor.

totallyfrozen

One of the Regulars
My dad has worn Aramis since the 1960's. I have a bottle of Aramis after shave that I sometimes wear when I want to turn into a werewolf or scare away metro-sexuals. Aramis is probably one of the most masculine scents ever bottled. I may just have to give that Lab Series a shot.

Jasalvas

New in Town
Hi everyone,
I am new to the forum and came across this topic a few days ago and with out further ado... I plan to pick up a safety razor kit of my own...
Now, I have done a little research and am a bit torn between an Edwin Jagger, or a Merkur HD. I would like to purchase a good razor right off the bat.
I would like to hear what you guys think!

BladeOfAnduril

One of the Regulars
Welcome aboard! I've been wetshaving for about 6 months or so. My one and only razor to date is a Gillette Fatboy Adjustable so I can't really help with your dilemma. I like it because I can adjust how aggressive it is. More so than the razor, your selection of blades and prep will have the biggest impact on the quality of your shave IMHO. I find that the Fatboy set to a 5 or 7 works well for me. I use Astra or Feather blades. Astras are great starter blades. Feathers are some of the sharpest blades available, so while great, they aren't ideal for people just starting off. Get a nice badger brush and some good cream. Edwin Jagger makes a very nice Best badger brush. I like Proraso as a good quality yet inexpensive cream. Good luck!

Jasalvas

New in Town
Thanks for the information Matt! I can not wait to get started, I shaved last night with a MachIII I have been using for years and its gotten so old. Within the last year or so I had been thinking of getting a straight razor shave from a barber shop as a "special treat" for myself. But after seeing all of the feedback here on the forum, I could have one.... Everyday!!

Trint

New in Town
I am new as you to the forum. The Merkur is one of my favourite razors, German quality like BMW, Audi and Mercedes. Other favourite razors in my collection are the Gilette "small boy", Schick Injector and Twin Bland.

DesertDan

One Too Many
I've been using Wilkinson blades for the last year or so now just because they are the only ones available at the store. But I have been becoming more and more disatisfied with them as they are not very consistant quality-wise.

Guess I'll have to start experimenting with some of the on-line shops multi brand bundles. I tried Derbys when I first started wet shaving but they were very unkind to me. Perhaps I'll give them another go along with some other brands to see if I can find something acceptable.

Hi everyone,
I am new to the forum and came across this topic a few days ago and with out further ado... I plan to pick up a safety razor kit of my own...
Now, I have done a little research and am a bit torn between an Edwin Jagger, or a Merkur HD. I would like to purchase a good razor right off the bat.
I would like to hear what you guys think!

I personally use an Edwin Jagger, but both are excellent quality, and you'd do well with either.

On a side note, don't forget the brush, and don't go cheap on it either. It makes a difference. As for blades, I use Astra, but there are numerous high-quality blades out there, as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ