Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

MD11

Familiar Face
nice collection Freebird.. I'm down to only 3 blades in my rotation, would love to get one or two more jewels..

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
The Feather double edge blades are working out splendidly. Perfect. Just speaking for my own experience, the sharper the blade, the less effort it takes, and there are fewer nicks.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Feather blades are SHARP!!!! Maybe almost too sharp for me :eek:
I stocked up on Derby's, so that is what I'm using day to day. I find they work very well in the Super Speeds.

ArrowCollarMan

A-List Customer
sweeney_todd.jpg

freebird

Practically Family
caseredimp.jpg

caseredimp2.jpg

My latest acquisition, should be here tomorrow or Monday. It's a Case Red Imp 132 wedge. Holding off on my next shave until it comes in, so I can try it out.

freebird

Practically Family
Marchsrprize003.jpg

This one came in todays mail. It's a 8/8 (1 inch from spine to cutting edge!) Hamburg Ring spike point. Also a Shavemac brush and a new tube of Proraso shaving cream. The discoloration on the tip of the blade is actually the reflection of the shaving brush.

freebird

Practically Family
dnjan said:
Love those German razors! They really excelled in combining beauty and function.

Shaved with it last night, it shaves as well as it looks. My first shave with a blade of that size. Best of all I won it, the brush and the cream on a forum drawing.

Proraso & Musgo Real

Both Proraso and Musgo Real shave creams are pretty good stuff, producing a nice lather and a nice shave feel. One concern for some people is that they both have a menthol base aroma and give a slight chill or numbing effect to your skin. Some find that pleasing others some what disconcerting.

Both are fine shave creams from the old world.

freebird

Practically Family
The proraso can be a little disconcerting if not expecting the numbing/coolness attributes. I've actually have another couple of tubes of that were marketed in the US. The one I got with the razor is in Italian, so I'm curious to see if there are any differences in it.

JP147

New in Town
I don't know how you guys using Mach 3's manage it. The head on that thing is so big I can't get round my nose. Any my nose ain't that big.

This is a great thread, I'm gonna try lots of this old school advice.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I didn't bring my straight razor with me when I moved to England, so I've been shaving with my old Mach 3, which I hadn't touched for two years, since I had gotten my straight. Looking at pictures of me then and now, I notice that my beard isn't as neat as it was. With the Mach 3 I can't keep the corners and edges as straight and even. I need a straight razor again!

charlie farley

One of the Regulars
preparation

I used to get a very sore neck which still didn't feel shaved properly even after shaving twice. I switched to using Dove moisturising soap with water as hot as I could stand.I then use Hacket of London brushless shave cream which has a nice tobacco smell(man that stuff is cold!:eek: )I only use a disposable razor as my hands are far too shaky for a straight razor and now it feels really smooth.

charlie farley said:
I used to get a very sore neck which still didn't feel shaved properly even after shaving twice. I switched to using Dove moisturising soap with water as hot as I could stand.I then use Hacket of London brushless shave cream which has a nice tobacco smell(man that stuff is cold!:eek: )I only use a disposable razor as my hands are far too shaky for a straight razor and now it feels really smooth.
If you skin gets sore try less passes at first to allow your skin to adjust. Also pre-shave oil can help as a great lube for the razor.

At the end you can use warm water to clean up the residual lather but once clean you want to use a cold cold water face cloth over all the areas you shaved. There are some aftershave creams that will help aleviate soreness, but most will pop on a little aftershave or witch-hazel to close the pores some more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner