Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

Selvaggio

One of the Regulars
Concur about trying a sample pack. Different blades do feel quite different.

I like the Japanese Feather brand blades - though they are regarded as quite 'aggressive'. They are super-super sharp, which is good if you have a heavy stubble, as you can glide the blade without too much pressure.

The Aussie on-line business mensbiz.com.au has a sampler deal and they even recommend the order in which to try them.

djhatman

One of the Regulars
But still, does it make a difference about the blades? [huh][/QUOTE]

The type of blade you use is very important. I have used some that gave me many cut and did a very poor job of doing any shaving. I personally think Merkur are the best. Do a search on You Tube for wet shaving and you can learn a lot. Also get yourself a good brush go with a badger brush and get the best you can. They sell boar hair ones but they are very poor quality. I have one badger brush that belonged to my Great-Grandpa that I use when I travel it is almost 90 years old and still works great.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Different razor different shave. Different blade different shave. Same blades in different razors different shaves. Same razor different blade..........well you get the idea. But wait there's more. Prep, cream, preshave oil they are all factors. I stop shaving between the last out of game 7 and pitchers and catchers reporting. I don't stop buying shaving gear I just stop using it for a couple months. Enjoy.
Tom D.

Greyfox

One of the Regulars
I have many vintage Gillette Double edge razors that I use. The only "modern" razor that I have is a Merkur HD double edge. I use a variety of DE blades in the razors depending on which razor I am using. I use a silvertip brush, shaving soap and a hot water scuttle. Shaving this way is a real treat and a good way to be nice to yourself.

HatMagnet

Familiar Face
I've finally settled on a Parker double edge razor with Feather blades and either Momma Bear's or Omega soaps applied with a badger brush.

A good shave just starts the day off right. ;)

OddSteve

Familiar Face
My new shaving brush arrived just in time - fine badger quality for little more than 20 Euros:

muehle.jpg

Harry Street

New in Town
I've been shaving with a brush and cream for 15 years or more.

Art of Shaving cream, pre-shave oil (unscented).

Art of Shaving silvertip badger brush (found on sale for 50% off) or a J. Peterman silvertip 1903 brush.

Merkur Futur DE safety razor, or a Mach3 depending on my mood.

Finish with Art of shaving moisturizer (unscented).

Some observations:

The Merkur Futur is very cool, heavy, but awkward to use on those tiny hairs under your nose, and requires a deft touch.

In reality when I'm not feeling nostalgic I'll just use the Mach3. I think it's as good as this style of razor will ever get.

I tried the 4 & 5 blade styles, but they get fouled up too quickly, the blades seem too close together for the thickness of my beard.

I was a big fan of the 1903 line from J. Peterman, but the Art of Shaving stuff caught my eye a few years ago and I've been using it ever since.

However, old girlfriends commented on how nice the 1903 smelled, so maybe I'll get some for special occasions. :)

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Welcome aboard Harry!

I'd have to agree that the scent of the 1903 is very nice! I've not used the shaving products, but I have old bottles of the cologne, which are the splash on kind. It's even better via a spray application in my opinion.
I am a big fan of both the Crabtree & Evelyn and Taylors of Old Bond Street lineups if you have the opportunity to try some.

Big_e

Practically Family
I like my vintage shaving scuttle during the cold weather season. Men shaved with these back when you had to heat up water. You got some water from the kettle for your scuttle and shaved at your dresser. You just gotta use a smaller shaving brush. No use in ruining a large badger brush as you force it into the hot water tank of the scuttle.
Ernest

P3220001.jpg

P7050007.jpg

inappropriate

New in Town
I use a Japanese Feather Artist Series razor, which is something of a compromise between a straight razor and a disposable system; you replace the straight blades instead of honing and sharpening them.

I bought it because I had read that one could get an even closer shave with this system than with a traditional straight razor - but, as it is, I have to shave against the grain for several passes, inflicting awful burn, before I begin to get an acceptable shave. :(

Have read all the guides but just can't get it to come off right...

Many of us have to shave against the grain to get a close shave.

Goggle "wet shave or shaving" follow the directions you find about "wet shaving" to pre-moisten and pre-soften your beard. You can also use preshave oil to help protect your skin.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Inappropriate,
I know you've said you've read all the guides, But if you haven't seen the, look up Mantic59 on YouTube.
Great vids on all aspects of wet shaving. Top notch.

dnjan

One Too Many
When first shaving with a straight razor, it is very easy to hold the blade at too great an angle to the skin, resulting in both a poor shave and un-necessary scraping of the skin.
I recommend that persons new to straight-razor-type shaving:
1) pull the skin very tight with your other hand, and
2) hold the razor at as low an angle as possible.

The angle of the blade should be about 1.5-2 widths of the spine for a straight. If you still have a handle razor like a Bic disposible hold it to the area and then mimick that angle with the straight. If you do that it also helps with seeing how to do the "complicated areas" that are difficult right off the bat with a straight.

fallbackdown82

New in Town
I have been using a Merkur safety razor with Merkur blades. I haven't had a better shave at home with anything else! C.O. Bigelow Barbers makes an amazing eucalyptus shave cream. I have also used a cream called EveryManJack which was nice as well. It has almost a neutral scent. As far as aftershave, I use bay rum. Layrite.com has a nice clovey smelling bay rum which my wife likes a lot. Has anyone here tried Truefitt and Hill products? I have heard great things about them, haven't had the chance to order anything as of yet!

I have used a variety of wet shaving soaps and creams. Uing a menthol type base is refreshing, but I find that constant use becomes stultifying. So I prefer to rotate thru about 6 diferent soaps and creams over the weeks.

Some people find that menthol provides an anesthetic value to the shave, nicks don't seem to hurt as much and the feel of any type of razor burn or rough shave is reduced for a period of time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24