Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Does The FL Think of So-called Black Friday?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
They're trying to introduce the idea of Black Friday over here now, but I'm not sure it'll catch on. I don't think people need much encouraging to spend anyway, and as it is, we have the big internet sale at the start of December.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Of course, leave it to the marketers to take the worst parts of the "holiday" and transplant it everywhere.

When I was much younger, and much more naive, I wondered why some people overseas had poor impressions of Americans. I understand now that the worst parts of our culture are what is being globalized. Basically the reason why some people overseas think we're all greedy and idiotic snots (or at least the majority of us are) is because all that is seen is the consumeristic idiotic things promoted by those who want to make money all over the world.

Of course, leave it to the marketers to take the worst parts of the "holiday" and transplant it everywhere.

When I was much younger, and much more naive, I wondered why some people overseas had poor impressions of Americans. I understand now that the worst parts of our culture are what is being globalized. Basically the reason why some people overseas think we're all greedy and idiotic snots (or at least the majority of us are) is because all that is seen is the consumeristic idiotic things promoted by those who want to make money all over the world.

I've seen images posted of Chinese, Koreans, and others standing in the same long lines for a new iPhone that we see here.
People are people and there's nothing "American" about this. We may have a higher percentage as were a more affluent country overall, but this bashing of Americans gets old. As life becomes easier, people consume more. Everywhere.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I've seen images posted of Chinese, Koreans, and others standing in the same long lines for a new iPhone that we see here.
People are people and there's nothing "American" about this. We may have a higher percentage as were a more affluent country overall, but this bashing of Americans gets old. As life becomes easier, people consume more. Everywhere.

I was talking particularly of Black Friday, which is why I mentioned the term "holiday." Note I also mentioned "those who want to make money all over the world" which would strongly suggest I was saying consumeristic tendencies and greed aren't just an American trait but rather a human one.

My comment was left in response to previous posters who said that "Black Friday Sales" are starting in their own countries. This is the only part of a very North American holiday (Thanksgiving) that has been transplanted in their own countries. If that is not manipulation by marketers the world over, I am not sure what is.

Last edited:

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
I've read through this thread & wondered why it seems to be a predominately American phenomenon. Apart from the debate about the culture of consumerism in the US, I think it's also important to note that other western nations have higher minimum wages (here in Australia our minimum wage is $16.88 per hour) & fair overtime & penalty rates (usually time and a half for Sundays & double time for public holidays). It's important to fairly recompense workers for time that they should be spending with their families. If that means employers don't want to conduct sales on holidays because of labor costs & we miss out on mega sales, I think that's a good thing.

Last edited:
I was talking particularly of Black Friday, which is why I mentioned the term "holiday." Note I also mentioned "those who want to make money all over the world" which would strongly suggest I was saying consumeristic tendencies and greed aren't just an American trait but rather a human one.

My comment was left in response to previous posters who said that "Black Friday Sales" are starting in their own countries. This is the only part of a very North American holiday (Thanksgiving) that has been transplanted in their own countries. If that is not manipulation by marketers the world over, I am not sure what is.

Wasn't trying to pick in you there. Seems lots of threads in TFL are commonly ending up with a general sense that America just sucks; the people suck, and we're doomed. Certainly these words are spoken and written throughout history. Just gets a little tiring.
I get it. I grew up in a place and time that sure seemed "better". I miss it. But we need to move on and make the best of it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy