Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Does The FL Think of So-called Black Friday?

^^^
My point is that when retail workers are paid fair minimum wages and penalty rates you don't get the crazy excesses of 24 hour sales & sales on public holidays.

What you're suggesting is that retailers would lose money if they had to pay their workers to come to work, or at a minimum that the profit margins are so razor thin that they couldn't afford to pay the workers overtime despite a very large increase in revenue. I'm not sure how you reconcile that to assign some causal relationship between the two.

The funny part is that some of the people who protest stores being open on Thanksgiving are very often the same folks who decry places like Chick Fil-A or Hobby Lobby being closed on Sundays reflecting the religious beliefs of its owners.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The funny part is that some of the people who protest stores being open on Thanksgiving are very often the same folks who decry places like Chick Fil-A or Hobby Lobby being closed on Sundays reflecting the religious beliefs of its owners.

I grew up with Blue Laws, and places being closed on Sunday was normal. You didn't expect or feel entitled to go shopping on Sunday, you expected to spend the day doing things around the house, or just relaxing. Given the sixty-hour weeks I work, it'd be nice to *know* there was such a thing as a guaranteed day off.

That's certainly not the case where I live. The same one's crying about Thanksgiving retailing are the same ones praising Chick-Fil-A for their various policies, though I've never heard anyone complain about them being closed on Sundays.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Seems lots of threads in TFL are commonly ending up with a general sense that America just sucks; the people suck, and we're doomed.
It's not just the FLounge, it's the mantra of the global media in general.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Well, we *are* doomed. Every civilization that has ever existed on the face of the Earth has eventually collapsed into a heap of rubble and savagery. It's a bit arrogant to think it'll never happen to this one. It's just a matter of when and how. America's no different from any other society in that respect -- it's just the biggest elephant in the herd, and the one that'll make the most noise when it falls.

We can either confront the problems we face and try to solve them in a way that doesn't involve sloughing them off onto Those Other People, or we can just keep on the way we're keeping on and let our descendants deal with it. I keep hoping we'll choose the former, but I know deep down we'll choose the latter. Hey, how 'bout them new flatscreens.

It's not just the FLounge, it's the mantra of the global media in general.

That's true AC. However, here, it's taken to other things such as clothing, dress codes in restaurants, TV shows, everything.
Dunno. After a while one gets tried of the "Midnight In Paris" syndrome and I feel I need to just cope with what we have and enjoy it.

That doesn't mean ignoring real issues, just not sweating the smaller ones as much...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
That's true AC. However, here, it's taken to other things such as clothing, dress codes in restaurants, TV shows, everything.
Dunno. After a while one gets tried of the "Midnight In Paris" syndrome and I feel I need to just cope with what we have and enjoy it.

That doesn't mean ignoring real issues, just not sweating the smaller ones as much...

I agree with you on this. There are a lot of people around The Fora who think the greatest tragedy facing modern society is that armholes are too low. "One nation, indivisible, with bespoke tailoring for all."

I couldn't care less about whether a man takes his hat off in an elevator or not, whether he's wearing a fine fur-felt fedora or a ballgame giveaway cap. There are more important things to worry about than clothes. A good man in rags is still a good man, and a pig in a suit is still a pig.

for all we Europeans spout about it … I've lived in the UK (mainly), the US, and the Far East. The USA has nothing on the UK (some parts) and Hong Kong - as regards Consumerism, you guys are lightweights. If you want to see consumerism in its fullest manifestation, come to London. The only purpose of the individual is to consume. Our entire society is set up to get as much of our earnings as possible back into the pockets of those who pay us as quickly as possible. Those services that are essential - housing, public transport, utilities, etc. - are priced right on the edge of affordability, right at the tipping point of what people are capable of paying. The free market mantra s trotted out for those things in which there is no free market (see services noted above). Prices are rigged freely and openly. Cynical politicians grovelling at the feet of the "captains of industry", and the complicit media and security industries, combine to feed the consumption mania, while complaining (see the kind of crap spouted regularly by one D. Cameron) about the loss of "traditional values" (whatever they might be) and the rise of consumer culture.

We are here to be fleeced, and sadly we seem to want it that way. Or at least most of us choose to play the game. I've recently been ratcheting up my hair shirt lifestyle, and it's liberating.

Maybe it's because we Americans (some of us, anyway) seem to have turned consumerism into an Olympic sport. :eusa_doh:

Last edited:
I agree with you on this. There are a lot of people around The Fora who think the greatest tragedy facing modern society is that armholes are too low. "One nation, indivisible, with bespoke tailoring for all."

I couldn't care less about whether a man takes his hat off in an elevator or not, whether he's wearing a fine fur-felt fedora or a ballgame giveaway cap. There are more important things to worry about than clothes. A good man in rags is still a good man, and a pig in a suit is still a pig.

There we have agreement - finally :)
But back to what AC said, the media has everyone paralyzed with fear and we don't even vote, let alone do anything of risk.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
for all we Europeans spout about it … I've lived in the UK (mainly), the US, and the Far East. The USA has nothing on the UK (some parts) and Hong Kong - as regards Consumerism, you guys are lightweights. If you want to see consumerism in its fullest manifestation, come to London. The only purpose of the individual is to consume. Our entire society is set up to get as much of our earnings as possible back into the pockets of those who pay us as quickly as possible. Those services that are essential - housing, public transport, utilities, etc. - are priced right on the edge of affordability, right at the tipping point of what people are capable of paying. The free market mantra s trotted out for those things in which there is no free market (see services noted above). Prices are rigged freely and openly. Cynical politicians grovelling at the feet of the "captains of industry", and the complicit media and security industries, combine to feed the consumption mania, while complaining (see the kind of crap spouted regularly by one D. Cameron) about the loss of "traditional values" (whatever they might be) and the rise of consumer culture.

We are here to be fleeced, and sadly we seem to want it that way. Or at least most of us choose to play the game. I've recently been ratcheting up my hair shirt lifestyle, and it's liberating.

Well put. The revolution begins with us.

I'm game for a revolution anytime one starts. I've got a pitchfork in the garage, and it's just seven miles to Camden.

Our arsenal is mostly WWI era Soviet rifles and automatics. Very reliable and cheap to maintain. Of course we have self-sustaining food/water and killer cats at the ready. Bring on the drones. There's got to be drones. lol

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Our arsenal is mostly WWI era Soviet rifles and automatics. Very reliable and cheap to maintain. Of course we have self-sustaining food/water and killer cats at the ready. Bring on the drones. There's got to be drones. lol

Well, I've got a .38 in my nightstand and a Louisville Slugger (Carl Yastrzemski model) next to my bed. And my cat can shred you with just a look.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Wasn't trying to pick in you there. Seems lots of threads in TFL are commonly ending up with a general sense that America just sucks; the people suck, and we're doomed. Certainly these words are spoken and written throughout history. Just gets a little tiring.
I get it. I grew up in a place and time that sure seemed "better". I miss it. But we need to move on and make the best of it.

My comment would be that some people suck. ;) haha

But I guess it's up to the rest of us non-sucky ones to not play their game?

I have no problem with a store being closed any day of the week. It is still common among many "orthodox" or more "conservative" forms of many religions to have a day of rest- that often means no vehicles used, no electricity used, etc. As long as no one says *I* have to follow their religion's rules and go to their service, have at it. There are perks to owning a business and one of those perks is you can choose when you're open.

Want to close your grocery store on Saturday because you're Jewish? Have at it. Want to close your craft store on Sunday because you're Christian? Have at it. Want to close your automotive store on the sabbats because you're pagan? Have at it. Living without shopping one or two days a week isn't going to kill anyone. (Now, if you'll only hire people of a certain religion or allow people of a certain religion to shop there, that is a different story.)

If I'm all upset about having to wait a day to get my food or craft supplies, likely there will be a store open someplace.

I do think that a lot of people all over the world want to whine about stupid ****. We're not talking about a state imposed religion here- we're talking about shopping from a choice of stores. I think this stems from a sense of self-centeredness. "This and this store can't be closed because I WANT TO SHOP. It's all about me. Who cares if people have to work on their holiday- it is about me. My beliefs are more important than yours." Heaven forbid you are a little inconvenienced because a business owner wants to observe a day of rest because of their religion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24