Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Does The FL Think of So-called Black Friday?

cchgn

One of the Regulars
Raise chickens. Not hard and not expensive. And they're entertaining.
Keep quiet Powers! lol

That's what we do,,,,100 chickens, a dozen turkeys, dozen ducks, dozen meat rabbits and a dozen milk goats.

Btw, the color of the egg has NO bearing on taste or nutritional content...the problem with store bought eggs is not only the chemicals and anti-biotics, but they're 6+ weeks old, compared to days old on the farm.

Farm raised eggs have twice the protein and 3-5X the Omega 3.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
That's what we do,,,,100 chickens, a dozen turkeys, dozen ducks, dozen meat rabbits and a dozen milk goats.

Btw, the color of the egg has NO bearing on taste or nutritional content...the problem with store bought eggs is not only the chemicals and anti-biotics, but they're 6+ weeks old, compared to days old on the farm.

Farm raised eggs have twice the protein and 3-5X the Omega 3.

Around here the preference for brown has nothing to do with taste or nutritional content. It's because of the fact that chickens raised in New England are breeds that, almost universally, lay brown eggs. White eggs are eggs that have been shipped in From Away, and are not as fresh as brown. Because brown eggs are local, they're also cheaper than white.

I never saw a white egg in a store here until the mid-90s, by which time the balance of out-of-staters to locals had shifted to where there were enough spleeny transplants from white egg regions complaining about "weird brown eggs" that the stores had to start shipping in the white ones. As a kid, I never even knew that there was such a thing as white eggs.

I'd love to raise my own chickens, but my lot is less than a quarter of an acre, bordered in the front by the street -- I don't have a front yard -- in the back by a commercial junkyard, and on two sides by neighbors. My entire back yard is about twelve by twenty feet. I might have room for one or two hens, if they didn't mind roosting for the night on my clothesline.

Last edited:
I'd love to raise my own chickens, but my lot is less than a quarter of an acre, bordered in the front by the street -- I don't have a front yard -- in the back by a commercial junkyard, and on two sides by neighbors. My entire back yard is about twelve by twenty feet. I might have room for one or two hens, if they didn't mind roosting for the night on my clothesline.

There is no animal on earth as filthy, smelly and nasty as a chicken.

BTW, I was on the chicken judging team in FFA. I could tell you which ones would be the good egg producers. It's not for the weak.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I had a good friend in high school who kept chickens -- he argued, with some conviction, that the only thing filthier or nastier than a chicken was the raccoons that tore them apart in the night. Not a pleasant thing to discover when going out to fetch the morning oofs.

Horsepoop. Keep the pen and coop clean and they're better than cats. We have some unusual breeds so I don't know if that's the difference.
Colors are breed specific and we have some beauties.
Also I believe some/many commercial eggs are bleached.
We also feed them only organic goods and stuff we grow.
Incredible eggs.

0aa28af2fdb3dd48bca17fa6fd1beafa.jpg

7d75445e345607f97766f475cf33e5fe.jpg

The guns are locked up. Bring it on white eggers! lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    829.7 KB · Views: 114
I had a good friend in high school who kept chickens -- he argued, with some conviction, that the only thing filthier or nastier than a chicken was the raccoons that tore them apart in the night. Not a pleasant thing to discover when going out to fetch the morning oofs.

By the way, one of my ex-fiancés used to call them "oofs". She was from North Carolina. I haven't heard that term in years.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Horsepoop. Keep the pen and coop clean and they're better than cats.

My cat sends her regards, and is quite certain you misspoke about chickens being more cleanly than cats. However, if not, she respectfully requests that you come to North Carolina and kiss her butt. I probably should add that my cat is a tad larger than some of her species.

DSCN0487_zpsc9c6e46b.jpg

AF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21