Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What happens with a stiff-front dress shirt without starch?

BigBrother

One of the Regulars
Curious about this and if any of you have any experience...

Imagine a traditional, stiff-front bib dress shirt, neckband, etc. If you wash it in hot water and let it hang dry, does the bib simply look a little less formal/stiff/flat than with starch (and is therefore still presentable, albeit not quite as sharply), or does the whole look go out the window?

I'm very interested in these and have been for quite some time, and am wondering if home laundering without starch is a viable path if I'm content with a less-than-chest plate-of-armor level of stiffness, so long as the smoothness is there, or if it's all a losing proposition.

Thanks!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Imagine a traditional, stiff-front bib dress shirt, neckband, etc. If you wash it in hot water and let it hang dry, does the bib simply look a little less formal/stiff/flat than with starch (and is therefore still presentable, albeit not quite as sharply), or does the whole look go out the window?

I'm very interested in these and have been for quite some time, and am wondering if home laundering without starch is a viable path if I'm content with a less-than-chest plate-of-armor level of stiffness, so long as the smoothness is there, or if it's all a losing proposition.

Thanks!
Nothing actually happens if you omit the starch. It doesn't look like you've slept in it if that's what you mean. What is important though, is the quality of the shirt, as in well made of the best fabric. Here in the UK there's a company name of Darcy, https://www.darcyclothing.com/collections/originals whose shirts are excellent. When I wear evening dress it's with a Darcy dress shirt, which I have worn unstarched many times. Same with the detachable collar. Rather than starch I use collar stiffeners to give the crisp appearance.

BigBrother

One of the Regulars
Interesting. I was speaking more of the higher-end shirts like Budd, as the Darcys I've tried in the past were of pretty poor quality. I did purchase some collars from them as they are washable and, as I recall, of sufficient quality. But the shirts themselves were too thin and otherwise poorly made for my taste. But you hit the nail on the head for my concern- looking all wrinkled like I'd slept in it :). If it's not too much trouble, would you be able to show me a pic of your Darcy flat front simply washed without starch, on you if possible? I know it might be a bit much, but this will literally shape my entire shirt-buying approach from here on out! Thanks!!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
You might have to wait until the weekend, work tends to get in the way a lot. Somewhere in my photo album there's a couple of close up, dress shirt shots, but where?

Just a question, do you react to starch? There are alternatives if you do. Next time boiled rice is on your menu, don't throw the water away.

Boil water on your stove, using 5 to 6 cups of water for every cup of rice you plan to make. Add the rice when the water boils. Continue boiling the rice until it is tender. This will take about 15 minutes. Cool the rice water. Strain it through a piece of flannel into a spray bottle and use it as ironing starch. You will be amazed at the result.

BigBrother

One of the Regulars
No, it’s just a matter of time- I go to a *lot* of formal events (I’m a dancer) and I literally just do not have the time to do any more prep than wash and hang. So I’m hoping it still looks good without the added step!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner