Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What hat are you waiting for today?

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
1A0C59FE-EBC2-47DF-9EE8-F1E7EE0B3A6E.jpeg
Greetings All:
Tomorrow!!
Guess what it goes with!! Ha ha
B

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Jack:
I do recall seeing these in an old thread now. What i’m taking from this is that these are reqular Stetson branded 7X CB ORs, in this pic, that Washer Bros. branded and put in the Amon Carter Shady Oak Farm design liners for him to give away. Sort of a Washer Bros. special order. Like some Shudde Bros did as well.
B

What i’m taking from this is that these are reqular Stetson branded 7X CB ORs, in this pic, that Washer Bros. branded and put in the Amon Carter Shady Oak Farm design liners for him to give away. Sort of a Washer Bros. special order.
Bowen, I would disagree with this. But first let me give credit where credit is due, & that goes to Jimmy the lid. Jimmy is the one who has probably done the most research on these hats & sited his sources from what little information is out there. I for one, appreciate his work & documentation.

After giving out Borsalino hats to visitors & dignitaries at his Shady Oak Farms for a few yrs Amon Carter approached Stetson about 1935 when war broke out with Mussolini in Europe. After sometime in design & research Stetson began production of the Shady Oak Farms Open Road. Mr. Carter likely depleted his supply of Borsalino hats & started giving out the new Stetsons ~1938. There are surviving examples today of his Shady Oak Farms Stetsons with taped seams on the sweatband. Most appear to have been 7XCB's but examples of a 3X & 5X exist. Being a Fort Worth Hatter my assumption would be that Washer Bros had a clientele wanting to buy a better grade like a 7XCB OR & therefore in addition they also sold a lot of the Shady Oak Farms version too, thus their embossing on a lot of the sweats on surviving hats. There are probably 7XCB OR's with Washer Bros embossing out there as well.

Mr. Carter died in 1955 so the transition to Peters Bros Shady Oaks (note the addition of the "s" on Oaks) happened before then. That is when Mr. Carter collaborated with Peters Bros for an OR clone said to be 1/8" wider & 1/8" taller than the Stetson OR; said to be Mr. Carter's size preference. Was that really done along with the addition of the "s" to avoid legal issues with Stetson? Who knows.

After Mr. Carter's death his son, Amon Carter Jr. carried on the tradition for a time; how long is unknown. Were there any changes made to the hat at that time? It's possible there could be Peters Bros Shady Oaks hats out there from that era too.

Yet to be researched is when did Peters Bros start making their Shady Oaks Bankers Special? Were they all 100X & was that the reason for a new model? If there were no legal issues with continuing to sure the Shady Oaks name after Carter Jr. discontinued the tradition, how long did Peters Bros continue with the Shady Oaks & the Shady Oaks Bankers Special?

All worthy of further research!

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Bowen, I would disagree with this. But first let me give credit where credit is due, & that goes to Jimmy the lid. Jimmy is the one who has probably done the most research on these hats & sited his sources from what little information is out there. I for one, appreciate his work & documentation.

After giving out Borsalino hats to visitors & dignitaries at his Shady Oak Farms for a few yrs Amon Carter approached Stetson about 1935 when war broke out with Mussolini in Europe. After sometime in design & research Stetson began production of the Shady Oak Farms Open Road. Mr. Carter likely depleted his supply of Borsalino hats & started giving out the new Stetsons ~1938. There are surviving examples today of his Shady Oak Farms Stetsons with taped seams on the sweatband. Most appear to have been 7XCB's but examples of a 3X & 5X exist. Being a Fort Worth Hatter my assumption would be that Washer Bros had a clientele wanting to buy a better grade like a 7XCB OR & therefore in addition they also sold a lot of the Shady Oak Farms version too, thus their embossing on a lot of the sweats on surviving hats. There are probably 7XCB OR's with Washer Bros embossing out there as well.

Mr. Carter died in 1955 so the transition to Peters Bros Shady Oaks (note the addition of the "s" on Oaks) happened before then. That is when Mr. Carter collaborated with Peters Bros for an OR clone said to be 1/8" wider & 1/8" taller than the Stetson OR; said to be Mr. Carter's size preference. Was that really done along with the addition of the "s" to avoid legal issues with Stetson? Who knows.

After Mr. Carter's death his son, Amon Carter Jr. carried on the tradition for a time; how long is unknown. Were there any changes made to the hat at that time? It's possible there could be Peters Bros Shady Oaks hats out there from that era too.

Yet to be researched is when did Peters Bros start making their Shady Oaks Bankers Special? Were they all 100X & was that the reason for a new model? If there were no legal issues with continuing to sure the Shady Oaks name after Carter Jr. discontinued the tradition, how long did Peters Bros continue with the Shady Oaks & the Shady Oaks Bankers Special?

Thank you Jack. That is quite a story and a mystery to unravel. I always enjoy the historical posts of yours. They are many and varied and always of interest.
Thanks for helping me understand.
Bowen

Thank you Jack. That is quite a story and a mystery to unravel. I always enjoy the historical posts of yours. They are many and varied and always of interest.
Thanks for helping me understand.
Bowen
Thanks Bowen, but much credit to Jimmy the lid & I was remiss in not mentioning Rick Clark sharing his 4 hats & his knowledge earlier. Credit to Rick as well.

Has anybody queried Peters Bros to see if they can get the skinny? The old man has unfortunately passed, but his son is still there.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have three Peters Brothers Shady Oaks. Two are Banker Special One Hundreds. According to Brad Peters the Bankers Speial One Hundred was the 100% beaver version. Back in the day they had the Shady Pine, Mr President, FBI, Shady Oak, & Sheriff. Only the Banker Special One Hundred was 100% beaver. Therefore people would order a Bankers Special 100 and have it trimmed/shaped into the other models. According to Brad that was the only way to get say a FBI in 100% beaver.

Both of my Banker Special One Hundreds are from the 60s. Again that is according to Brad Peters. But I know he said they were made in the 70s. I don’t recall if he said anything about later production for the Banker Special One Hundreds. Nor did he say how early they started making them.

My suspicions are the Peters Bros Shady Oaks became much more synonymous with Peters Bros than it did with Amon Carter Sr or Jr, & that it was likely made into the 1960's & only dropped from lack of sales. It was probably dropped soon after Amon Carter Jr stopped the ways & traditions of his father. And the Shady Oaks Bankers Special had nothing to do with Amon Carter & was probably offered into the 1970's because of its status as a "100".

All this goes to support the idea that the Stetson research & development of the original Amon Carter Shady Oak Farms hat was the origination for the Stetson Open Road, & why the Stetson Shady Oak Farms is rare today.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Santa's must have got my wish list early. My missus checked my hat size last night and she asked me to confirm my chest size. Santa is very perceptive. But if he does fulfil my wish list that will mean that my new hat and blazer will have to wait for warmer weather. Oh the pain, oh the joy.
hat.jpg blazer.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn