Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
George I. Eakle
a15dc8be44113d1818a43bdffb36231a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
OH, MAN...........THAT RIBBON!!!!
Wow.....
M

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Today, I am test driving a hat that I bought several years ago but have had in a box for that time for reasons I will likely detail in the Homburg Nation thread.

The felt on this (what I believe to be a '40s creation) exceeds the quality of my similar vintage Vita-Felts. I have no idea which maker Julius Garfinckel & Co. contracted for their store branded hats, but whoever it was... they did one hell of a job.

Garfinkel's was a high-end department store in DC. I remember it being quite the place, even when I grew up in the area in the '80s. For a long time, it was the parent company of Brooks Brothers. And Mr. Garfinkel, was a much admired, largely solitary but very kind-hearted man. He died in 1936 and the store collapsed into bankruptcy in 1990. A link about the store and another about Mr. Garfinkel are at the end of my post.

$12.50 Julius Garfinckel & Co. homburg: View attachment 65149 View attachment 65150 View attachment 65151 View attachment 65153 View attachment 65154 View attachment 65155 View attachment 65156
http://www.streetsofwashington.com/2012/11/garfinckels-washingtons-fashion-arbiter.html?m=1
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julius_Garfinckel?wprov=sfla1

Happy Saturday!
Nice Garfinckel!
I'd like one in Sage. Or maybe Parsley, Rosemary or Thyme.
:D

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Enjoy the celebration time Daniele! Imposing is right, the crown on the Homburg is large and in charge! Very nice color and the brim curl is perfect!
Thanks Red! The French homburgs are, in my experience, at the first place in EU like dimension, then the others

Marvelous hat! "Imposing" is a great descriptor. Beautiful.

I gotta start blowing my money on vintage European homburgs. The diversity starting from the basic form is represented so much better than it seems to be here in the US.

Thanks for all of your homburgering and congratulations to all of the birthday folks.
When I put on my head a homburg I always think of yours and your passion for this type of hats that i also mine :rolleyes:
In EU the most dense population of vintage homburgs is in the north: UK, Germany and France above all.
There you can find good to excellent brands from the country and from importation, in every size, mostly in medium to small.
In Italy they are not so much common and rarely they are on the vintage market
The reasons of the homburg distribution depend from formal fashion and social conditions.
In your size you can find excellent choices and if I can help I will be glad to do the "homburg seeker"
I forget to say that in EU homburgs from mass production and bespoke are still excellent
Happy birthday to your mother in law and to your son - he looks a lot like you, but needs a slightly smaller sized hat maybe ;) Enjoy the celebrations & family time! Another beautiful homburg as well...
Celia, Davide said the homburg is too tight and he has my size (60 cm.):rolleyes:
He has his own hats, but for formal parties I have to supply "perfect" hats in combination with his attire:)
Thanks for the wishes, January is the month of family birthday
Sounds like you're having a great time with your family. Enjoy, Daniele!

Indeed an imposing hat. Very beautiful!
Thanks Sergej! It is very imposing for the general dimension of homburg

Happy Birthday to all La Famiglia!
Grazie per gli auguri di compleanno
Your George I. Eakle is really one of my favourite of yours

Today, I am test driving a hat that I bought several years ago but have had in a box for that time for reasons I will likely detail in the Homburg Nation thread.

The felt on this (what I believe to be a '40s creation) exceeds the quality of my similar vintage Vita-Felts. I have no idea which maker Julius Garfinckel & Co. contracted for their store branded hats, but whoever it was... they did one hell of a job.

Garfinkel's was a high-end department store in DC. I remember it being quite the place, even when I grew up in the area in the '80s. For a long time, it was the parent company of Brooks Brothers. And Mr. Garfinkel, was a much admired, largely solitary but very kind-hearted man. He died in 1936 and the store collapsed into bankruptcy in 1990. A link about the store and another about Mr. Garfinkel are at the end of my post.

$12.50 Julius Garfinckel & Co. homburg: View attachment 65149 View attachment 65150 View attachment 65151 View attachment 65153 View attachment 65154 View attachment 65155 View attachment 65156
http://www.streetsofwashington.com/2012/11/garfinckels-washingtons-fashion-arbiter.html?m=1
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julius_Garfinckel?wprov=sfla1

Happy Saturday!
That thing kicks a$$!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner