Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinaski

One Too Many
CIMG1562.jpg

Art Natural Light Weight
Tom D.

Repeating myself - that Art guy knows hats. Nice one, St. Ignatz.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Nope just good old-fashioned basketball. My bar fighting days are long over - I gave that stuff up years ago :)

Ha! You beat me to it - and quite literally so! A friend of mine told me a few days ago that she started working in a - quite notorious - bar in the east part of Berlin and asked me to come around for a beer or two. She also warned me that I might occasionally encounter some flying beer bottles at the place. Just to be prepared. Sure enough, when I was there last night a pretty rough bar fight ensued with a bunch of Irish construction workers (up ya boyo!). I don't really know what sparked the outrage in the first place but I definitely encountered flying bottles gallore. The best thing was that I survived the evening in one piece and made it home with everything still firmly attached... ;)

Last edited:

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That Squatter really, really makes me yearn for a black hat...been about 3.5 months since my last purchase...can't hold out much longer lol....

English_Gent

New in Town
Hello everyone,

Long time lurker, one-time poster here dipping in for some serious feedback on an impulse buy. I should probably explain the situation a little but I'll endeavor not to ramble.

Basically, I'm about to turn 26 and for the last 6 months or so I've been slowly trying to change my wardrobe to a more tailored, classic style - I should clarify I'm not specifically looking to acquire retro or vintage clothing or replicate any particular era, simply taking some style cues from what looks good in terms of male clothing with a pinch of inspiration from history.

Anyhow, I've made a bit of progress and even boosted my confidence enough via experimentation to be able to wear waistcoats, braces (trouser suspenders) and pocket squares out and about amongst my peers with no worries whatsoever. However, there's one coveted item I'm yet to conquer - the hat.

I recently bought an inexpensive Jaxon Hats crushable wool C-Crown fedora but still haven't summoned up the courage to wear it out in public, every time I put it on my head I look in the mirror and think to myself that I look like a moron. I'm not fishing for compliments here and I really want some honest critique and feedback.

1302970238937.jpg

1302904766407.jpg

1302904720464.jpg

I am wondering if the brim is too wide for my face? Or if there is some other issue I'm not picking up on?

If it is a brim issue would it be possible to have the brim adjusted?

I appreciate the stubble may not be helping. Also sorry for the bad pics but I only have a rubbish phone camera - the colour is a sort of mid-grey in real life and the angle of the photos suggests the crown tapers more than it actually does.

Last edited:

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Welcome English Gent. In my opinion the brim is fine. As you note, the camera angle does make it a little hard to define the shape of the hat. But from what I can see, I don't care for the shape of the crown. Remember, as with everything to do with hats, it's a personal call. But the hat looks fine and you wear it well. Enjoy! :cool:

danofarlington

Hello everyone,
1302904766407.jpg

I am wondering if the brim is too wide for my face? Or if there is some other issue I'm not picking up on?

If it is a brim issue would it be possible to have the brim adjusted?

Brim's fine. It's a good thing you mentioned you are 26, by the way. Had you been 27, that hat would have been all wrong for you. All wrong.

:D Just kidding. The hat's fine. Now go buy another one for a different day and a different appearance, for variety's sake.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Basically, I'm about to turn 26
1302970238937.jpg

Gent, I didn't wear a fedora outside until I was in my 50's so you are doing great.

I think that style works nicely for you - you could go for a slightly wider brim and it would still look good.

Silverbelly Campdraft today. Kind of cold and rainy. Perfect lid for the day.

I like it - the Campdraft is my go-to nasty day hat as well.

English_Gent

New in Town
Thanks for the comments danofarlington, DJH and zetwal, much appreciated. Glad to hear the brim is a good size.

zetwal - I hear what you're saying about the crown, I took a better pic to show the shape of it from the side:
hat.jpg

danofarlington - I do plan on buying more I just wanted to make sure I could get in the habit of wearing this one before trying any others! :D
Also with the age thing, I only mention it because I think part of the challenge for someone young trying to wear hats is the modern social stigma (falsely placed in my opinion) that they are an older gentleman's item. Though I appreciate what you were saying was all in good fun :) - truth in jest I think.

danofarlington

Also with the age thing, I only mention it because I think part of the challenge for someone young trying to wear hats is the modern social stigma (falsely placed in my opinion) that they are an older gentleman's item.

That is probably true. I felt very self-conscious about wearing any kind of fedora in my 20s, 30s and 40s. So I never did it. Also, the local selection of men's dress hats wasn't good enough at that time. I kept on thinking what other people would think about it--imagining that I was trying to look like something, such as a businessman, or a movie actor, or some other kind of thing that would stand out. But when I turned 50, I said, I don't care anymore what people may think. Just don't care. In retrospect, I wish I would have reached that point sooner. However, the selection of hats then was worse than now. Now it's great, the best ever.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Still nice and cool so I got one of my other Squatters out to wear today. Wore my new Black one yesterday, but with all the dust and smoke and stuff blowing in from West Texas, it was a nice charcoal black color when I took it off yesterday evening. It's my first and only Black hat and it's just like a Black car, will show dirt more than a White car :) So I put my Mid-Dawn squatter on for today :)

11-8-10004.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails