Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is going on with this site???

Fifty150

One Too Many
I couldn't even get on the website to see this page.

Screenshot 2023-10-02 22.07.37.png

GHT

I'll Lock Up
And if there is any sort of moderation, or technical support, then this thread would not be in the "hats" section.

View attachment 549960
Does that really matter? There are two strong thread types on TFL, and that is Hats & Jackets, both of which are extremely frustrated by this forum's slow running and lack of page pick up. So when someone highlights the problem, it doesn't diminish the frustration felt by Loungers if someone in their desperation puts their, and just about everyone else's, frustration, in the "wrong" category.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
This morning’s results… View attachment 550135
We share your pain on our side of the pond, there's not many times that the frustration gets to me but this morning had me using some seriously colourful Anglo-Saxon language.

Let me lighten that up. I bet you didn't know that the "F" word is actually an acronym. Centuries ago, adultery, that's sex outside the sacrament of marriage, was a criminal offence. Should you find yourself hauled up before the courts accused of this heinous crime and then found guilty, the charge would stand as:
Found
Under
Carnal
Knowledge.
So next time you are heard to utter that obscenity you have a defence to hand.

Last edited:

One Drop

One of the Regulars
We share your pain on our side of the pond, there's not many times that the frustration gets to me but this morning had me using some seriously colourful Anglo-Saxon language.

Let me lighten that up. I bet you didn't know that the "F" word is actually an acronym. Centuries ago, adultery, that's sex outside the sacrament of marriage, was a criminal offence. Should you find yourself hauled up before the courts accused of this heinous crime and then found guilty, the charge would stand as:
Found
Under
Carnal
Knowledge.
So next time you are heard to utter that obscenity you have a defence to hand.

Unfortunately this is most certainly a false etymology, the word has been traced to at least the late 1400s and most probably has its origins in a similar sounding word from the root of another Germanic language.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Unfortunately this is most certainly a false etymology, the word has been traced to at least the late 1400s and most probably has its origins in a similar sounding word from the root of another Germanic language.
You are probably right, another definition claims it to be an acronym forFornicate Under Command of the King.” As the theory goes, the king at the time would legally instruct his residents to have sex, all in an effort to monitor the reproduction rates.

The one that I quoted was actually told to me, by of all people, a Catholic priest. (So it must be true!) I tell you, when you hear the "F" word from the lips of a priest it does something to your brain.

Edward

Bartender
And then there was sixties alternative band The Fugs, who named themselves after a euphemism used in substitute for that other eff word in Norman Mailer's novel The Naked and the Dead. And so it comes full circle...

The 'Van Halen' acronym above is wat is known as a 'backronym', one retrospectively applied to the use of the word in context. There are several words a from which its use in modern English could be derived, but it seems most likely to have come via the Germanic input from the AngloSaxons.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
And then there was sixties alternative band The Fugs, who named themselves after a euphemism used in substitute for that other eff word in Norman Mailer's novel The Naked and the Dead. And so it comes full circle.

Full circle? Only as far as the late 70's. Who can forget.............Never Mind the B*ll*cks, Here's the Sex Pistols?
If you want publicity, prime time television publicity, swear! There's actually a YouTube clip of that, it gained them notoriety, I thought better of it than to post it here. Likewise the poster with that headline, it's on Wiki if you want to see it.

Like Brian Jones a decade earlier, death immortalised Simon Ritchie, (Sid Vicious.) both of whom were dark, decadent and nihilistic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy