Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the best non damaging black hair dye for dark hair?

ScarlettOhara

New in Town
I'm already a dark dark brown, but I can't seem to find a good dye for black hair. I've tried ION demi perm in black, and it was just like I had put dark brown on my hair. I'm trying not to go permanent due to the damage. Any suggestions ladies? Thank you!

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
My hairdresser recommends Nice N'Easy (it's a semi-permanent by Clairol) but I'm not sure you can get it in your neck of the woods. I've used it for years and my hair as always been in good nick after it.....

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Seconded, i use it on my roots, my hair is very dark anyway and i have never had any problems either, the conditioner that comes with it is belting, i'm glad you can buy it seperately because i use it all the time! I use the permanent as well as i find the semi starts to fade almost instantly with my hair and i'm careful with it too. x

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Miss sofia said:
Seconded, i use it on my roots, my hair is very dark anyway and i have never had any problems either, the conditioner that comes with it is belting, i'm glad you can buy it seperately because i use it all the time! I use the permanent as well as i find the semi starts to fade almost instantly with my hair and i'm careful with it too. x

I always stock up on the tubes of individual conditioner - it's the business! Nothing works on your hair like it!

ScarlettOhara

New in Town
Does it fade much? I've been avoiding permanent haircolor because 1. they tend to fade and 2. I'm afraid of the damage it will do and 3. I suck at touch-ups. I couldn't touch up my roots properly if that were the only thing on my head. lol

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
Back when I had black hair in high school, I used L'Oreal Superior Preference with amazing results. I know, I know, it's permanent, but it lasted so long I only had to dye my hair about two or three times a year. I dyed it for the last time last fall, almost exactly a year ago, and my hair is still really black below the dye line (I'm naturally dark brown/chestnut). The shade I used was Purest Black 2B; looking back, it didn't suit me at all-- much too dark! But it really lasts forever. Also, the weekly conditioner that comes in the box makes your hair really soft and shiny!

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
ScarlettOhara said:
Does it fade much? I've been avoiding permanent haircolor because 1. they tend to fade and 2. I'm afraid of the damage it will do and 3. I suck at touch-ups. I couldn't touch up my roots properly if that were the only thing on my head. lol

I found for a semi-permanent the colour doesn't fade really and only shows as your roots do. I think you can get the same brand for doing your roots and it has a really easy applicator so it shouldn't be too much hassle for you.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I have to say those root touch up kits are really good and the brush thingy is very easy to use. I don't have a problem with permanent colour, but then i do keep heat styling down to a minimum, and keep my hair out of the sun, and givr my hair a really good conditioning treatment once a week too. Heat seems to be the enemy for my hair. If your worried about hair damage i do think it's better to get a professional colour done in a salon, i did when my hair was not in good condition. Aveda colours are excellent. x

ScarlettOhara

New in Town
Miss Golightly, is Nice N Easy semi perm there? It's permanent here.

Yes I haven't really done a "box" color in years. I usually buy from places online or Sally Beauty that allow you to mix your colors and developer to suit. I think I might give the demi perm one last shot with a brand that I started out with three months ago, Redken Shades. I bought 3N Espresso, and it wasn't nearly dark enough...more like my own color. I may shoot for the moon and buy their Black Onyx color and see if that works. I have like a whole gallon of their developer to use up anyways lol

I appreciate all the great suggestions, though....I will have plenty of backups to look into if this doesn't work out this time. :D

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice n Easy is SUPER permanent. No fading at all.
I used it for five years, and never had a bit of damage. I used the blue black. But, it would not come out at all, even with strong bleach. They even sent a sample of my hair to Clairol and they couldn't get it out! So it is a commitment. It took me about two years to grow it out to the point where I could cut it all off.

There's a pic of me in my rock and roll days in the Before and After thread with tht color of hair, as you can see it is super black.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Miss 1929 said:
Nice n Easy is SUPER permanent. No fading at all.
I used it for five years, and never had a bit of damage. I used the blue black. But, it would not come out at all, even with strong bleach. They even sent a sample of my hair to Clairol and they couldn't get it out! So it is a commitment. It took me about two years to grow it out to the point where I could cut it all off.

There's a pic of me in my rock and roll days in the Before and After thread with tht color of hair, as you can see it is super black.

Oops - sorry - yes you're quite right Miss 1929 - Nice N'Easy is permanent - I just checked the box I have in the bathroom - sorry about that! I always thought it was semi but I wash my hair every day so perhaps that why it faded a little quicker on me!

I used Castings years ago (in jet black) and the hairdresser couldn't strip the colour out of my hair - I had to let it grow out but thankfully my hair grows quite quickly but it was very frustrating waiting for it to grow out so I could change the colour....

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I'm obviously having a senior moment as i didn't realise that either and i even checked the box in my bathroom cabinet the other night too, oops! But then i've never had any problems with it either, but i'm another fine-haired girl, so i frequently wash my hair, which may explain why my colour fades quickly too. I used to always have professional colour done before, but Nice 'n' Easy is excellent and obviously a much cheaper alternative!

ScarlettOhara

New in Town
I may have to just breakdown and buy NN lol. I'm fine haired as well, and I use sulfate free shampoos to preserve my color. However, it seems within a week and a half my hair is turning back reddish brown. :eek: I pamper it like crazy, so I have no idea why it would do this to me! I think it's a matter of wanting what you don't have. When I was younger and my hair was jet black, I couldn't stand it. Now that I'm older and my hair has lightened up significantly, I want my jet black back. *sigh*

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
I have black hair but the color gets stripped from sun exposure and chemical straighteners. I use either Dark & Lovely Midnight or Bigen Blue Black. Now Bigen is permanent but I had no problems with damage. All you have to do is make sure you moisturize via deep conditioners once or twice a week and you're good because it is very drying. Oh, and do a skin patch test first because some people are allergic to the main ingredient in it (PPD, I think):

http://www.sallybeauty.com/Hair-Color/BIGEN1,default,pd.html

Here is a link to Dark & Lovely Semi-Permanent:

http://www.sallybeauty.com/Hair-Color/DARKLV4,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair05

Dixon Steele

New in Town
hair dye

ScarlettOhara said:
I'm already a dark dark brown, but I can't seem to find a good dye for black hair. I've tried ION demi perm in black, and it was just like I had put dark brown on my hair. I'm trying not to go permanent due to the damage. Any suggestions ladies? Thank you!

On the web people say great things about L'oreal Feria leather or intense black hair dye , they say it's quiet kingd to hair...

ScarlettOhara

New in Town
Thanks for all the help ladies.....I DID IT! :eusa_clap I went with the Nice and Easy Natural Black, and I looooooooove it! I can't believe I never did this before....it looks so vibrant and natural. It didn't damage my hair that much either from what I can tell. Now I need to get a haircut, so I can roll my hair better lol Right now it's all one length, which doesn't lend itself to rolling. I tried the other day. I'll see if I can get a picture up in a bit. Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21