Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the best non damaging black hair dye for dark hair?

ScarlettOhara

New in Town
vintageme3.jpg

vintageme2.jpg

baby_butterfly

One of the Regulars
I know I'm late and you already did it but I just wanted to mention Manic Panic or SFX colours. They are pure pigment so you could add a little to your conditoner to keep your black really black.

ScarlettOhara

New in Town
Are you doing your roots with the Nice n Easy Root stuff? I don't remember the name, but I saw it next to the hair dye. :)

Thanks for the suggestion baby butterfly!

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Yes that's the one, it's really easy to use. I also stock up the conditioner that you get with the colour and can buy seperately now and do a treatment once or twice a week, it's really fab and just as good as the more expensive brands. Plus an excuse to laze about with a hot towel on my head! Not that i need an excuse. :)

ScarlettOhara

New in Town
I love that conditioner! I saw you could buy it separately when I picked up the dye. It is so nice...my hair gets so shiny with it. I think since I wash my hair 2-3x a week tho that I can get by using it every wash hehe...at least that's what I'm telling myself. ;)

I'll pick up that root stuff once they start showing....do you mind me asking what shampoo you use? Mine is sulfate free, but I think it's still stripping the color for some odd reason. I can't figure it out. [huh]

Ada Vice

One of the Regulars
Anyone got a recommendation for a non permanent black that won't show roots and stuff?

I only want it black for Halloween really, and might go for an all over a bleach (having a streak put in at the hairdressers to see how I like it) at a later date so I don't want it to effect that. (Will have to mask the front streak off which will be fun!)

I haven't home bleached in about 12 years, and haven't home dyed in about 10, I always get it done professionally thesedays - I'm not rich it's usually as a model or at a cheap salon as I'm permanently poor! lol

Miss sofia

One Too Many
ScarlettOhara said:
I love that conditioner! I saw you could buy it separately when I picked up the dye. It is so nice...my hair gets so shiny with it. I think since I wash my hair 2-3x a week tho that I can get by using it every wash hehe...at least that's what I'm telling myself. ;)

I'll pick up that root stuff once they start showing....do you mind me asking what shampoo you use? Mine is sulfate free, but I think it's still stripping the color for some odd reason. I can't figure it out. [huh]

Actually i just use a cheapy colour conserve shampoo, Tresemee, on my hair dressers recommemdation as he seemed to think the cheaper brands were as good as the more expensive brands and use the hair colour conditioner. I have a problem with colour fade too, but if you wash your hair every other day like i do it will fade a bit, i've tried the more expensive shampoos like Kerastase, but to no effect. I do keep my hair out of the sun as much as poss, although that's not relevant now at this time of year and use a heat defence spray too before blowdrying, which helps a bit for me.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Probably because it's faded a bit! But thanks! Actually my natural hair is very dark brown with some red undertones. The Nice and Easy colour is great i think as it's not too harsh a black and seems to keep the hair in good condition which is half the battle to it looking more natural i think. :)

natidahling

New in Town
A little late to the thread but wanted to share all the same:
I started going gray in my early 20's :mad:, and I've used everything from Nice&Easy to Feria to Garnier to henna, but I swear by Herbatint...no ammonia, parabens or other scary ingredients and you can mix up just as much as you need and keep the rest for touchups. I use 1N (Natural Black). I especially love that it doesn't have a strong scent. Doesn't smell like anything, really.
Anyway, just a tip for anyone looking for a safe, gentle, effective hair color.
I get it at a natural food store, but here are the websites for US & UK
http://www.herbatintusa.com/
http://www.herbatint.co.uk/index.php

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner