Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
That one's a Stetson Gun Club, I believe. It's essentially a wide brimmed homburg with a slightly porkpie-ish crease and different band.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
piccilo33 said:
Can someone tell me what style of hat this is?

I have been trying to find one on the net that is like it but have had no luck. Thanks.
If am not mistaken that is a Stetson Derringer that they sold through Eddie Bauer stores some years back. Essentially a fur felt gambler with a 3" pencil roll brim... I think.

piccilo33

New in Town
I don't know my size. The site says large 7 1/4. I know from trying on Bailey's of Hollywood fedoras on in a department store that their size medium was too big.

saucerfiend

Practically Family
I had a Derringer that I bought when Eddie Bauer sold it. I gave it to my son. I doubt that he uses it, but I'll check with him. As I remember, it was a size 7. I'll let you know tomorrow. Or if you want you can call me tomorrow at 732 297-0697 here in NJ, or saucerfiend@msn.com

Brian

piccilo33 said:
I don't know my size. The site says large 7 1/4. I know from trying on Bailey's of Hollywood fedoras on in a department store that their size medium was too big.

There is no uniform standard for hat sizing re; "large" "medium", "small".

Most shops will tell you what range of head sizes each refers to.
FWIW, most seem to place 7 1/4 in the "medium" range.

Just to confuse matters, not all makers size their hats the same. A 7 1/2 from one maker may be a 7 1/4 from another.
Stetson comes to mind.

Best to go off of your actual head circumference in inches or cm's.
Half a centimeter can make a world of difference in how a hat fits....or doesn't.

carldelo

One Too Many
Missing detail

After you measure the circumference of your head in inches, divide by pi (3.1416) to find your hat size. The hat listed at size 7-1/4 should have an internal circumference of about 22-3/4", so you can compare that to your head circumference measurement. A size 7 hat should have a circumference of exactly 22", as pi is approximated by the fraction 22/7 to about four parts in ten thousand.

I don't think the Derringer is a Gun Club hat, as I believe they always have the Gun Club liner. The liner shown in the listing looks exactly like those in my two modern Royal quality Stetsons.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Piccilo, when you measured your head, did you pull the tape tight or leave it a little loose? It should be slightly loose, not pulled tight in order to get a comfortable measurement. Also, keep in mind that that 7 1/4 Stetson may have shrunk a little, so it might be a 7 1/8 or even a 7 in reality. Of course, it could have been stretched to a larger size by a previous owner as well. If that online vintage store has a decent return policy, I think it would be worth it to order it to see if it would fit you. If it's a little too large, you can always use a couple of those felt sizing pads underneath the sweatband for a better fit.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Ebay. You can get them new at a few places in the $100 range, but a lot cheaper on the Bay. Make sure the pics show that it's in good condition, and be very sure of the size. A felt hat has a little give, but a straw boater is absolutely rigid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ