Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Hats

Only 12, wow. You developed an eye for style at an early age.
Have you taken a proper head measurement? Like someone else mentioned, you really can't strech a boater that much. If you're a true 6-7/8 and a boater is your intention, best be sure of that hat size.
Get a cloth taylors measuring tape, and measure your head to be certain. You can find hat sizing instruction with a simple internet search.

I would think you would look cool with a Stingy brim hat, a brim under 2 inches. You can find yourself a great deal on a small felt hat; and get a top name, vintage and very likely in the 30-40 dollar range.

Good luck !:eusa_clap

YiovanGrigoriou said:
Thanks, I am size 6 7/8 to 7 1/8, I am only 12 thats why I have such a small head.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Rebetika???

YiovanGrigoriou, I just noticed in your profile that you love Rebetika. I Googled the word and am now fascinated by the topic. If you have turned me onto another traditional early 20th century musical style that I'll enjoy, I will be VERY grateful to you! Is this straw boater part of the look of the Rebetika musicians? Can you post some images of Rebetika musicians? And some links?
I think you're a pretty hip kid for 12. That would probably make you our youngest member. In which case you're even more welcome to the group.

YiovanGrigoriou

New in Town
Replies

Thanks, some rebetes wore boaters, but mainly fedoras, and an occasional bowler, or homburg. Rebetiko.gr and rebetika.sealabs are great, just use google translate though. Also i recommend mortika, and give me love songs of the brokenhearted baghdad 1925-1929, both available in vinyl! If you need to email me my email is skylomanges@hotmail.com. I am seeing a macedonian musician tomorrow, and will tell you more. One last thing try searches in greek then translate them you will be more successful.

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
one thing i have found is if the crown is 4 inches or less your head will hit the top of the hat before it sits as low on your head as most hats, so its better to get boaters 1 or even 2 sizes smaller than you would take otherwise.
please post a pic when you get the hat and welcome to the lounge.
Wow 12 seems like you should get some kind of a prize or something.
This is me in my Brooks Brothers vintage straw boater.
2gx4rih.jpg

p0m76.jpg

by the way i don't usually wear it so far back on my head.

YiovanGrigoriou

New in Town
Thanks, still looking for a boater.

Im still looking for a boater with a brim around 4 inches, hard to find, I am going to Austin this christmas, any suggestions of places to look there?

One Too Many
one thing i have found is if the crown is 4 inches or less your head will hit the top of the hat before it sits as low on your head as most hats, so its better to get boaters 1 or even 2 sizes smaller than you would take otherwise.
please post a pic when you get the hat and welcome to the lounge.
Wow 12 seems like you should get some kind of a prize or something.
This is me in my Brooks Brothers vintage straw boater.
2gx4rih.jpg

p0m76.jpg

by the way i don't usually wear it so far back on my head.
Yes, it is too, a great boater ¡¡¡¡¡

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
What kind of Hat is this?

My Dad and Grandfathers used to wear hat that looked like this in the winter when I was a kid back in the 60's. I would like to get a new one. What is this hat called any idea of who might sell them today. It is like a cross between a Cossack and a Ambassador and a Tyrolean.
!B998,kw!2k~$(KGrHqR,!igEzNvSe,jtBM7UTrTzRQ~~0_3.JPG

Thank you

Jeff

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My Dad and Grandfathers used to wear hat that looked like this in the winter when I was a kid back in the 60's. I would like to get a new one. What is this hat called any idea of who might sell them today. It is like a cross between a Cossack and a Ambassador and a Tyrolean.
!B998,kw!2k~$(KGrHqR,!igEzNvSe,jtBM7UTrTzRQ~~0_3.JPG

Thank you

Jeff

I think it's called "The Tribble." William Shatner made it popular in the late 1960s.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I think it's called "The Tribble." William Shatner made it popular in the late 1960s.

What's particularly interesting is that this is a shot rarely captured on film. Tribbles display their mating plumage for only a few seconds every six or eight years.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
It's the 1960s-2010 old man, fake fur, available at every thrift store in northern Ohio for under $2 version of a nice, persian lamb hat.

Chinaski

One Too Many
It's the 1960s-2010 old man, fake fur, available at every thrift store in northern Ohio for under $2 version of a nice, persian lamb hat.

Yeah, I think my old man captured one of the wily tribble hats back in the 60's as well and I'm almost certain it was of the $2 variety.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
It looks warm and comfortable. I don't know the exact term, but I believe it could be considered some sort of alpine or tyrolean hat; quite stingy-brimmed too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner