Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What th' heck is a "beaver silk" top hat?

Alexander Sommerset

One of the Regulars
So, I have noticed a really strange thing going on with top hat sellers on ebay.

Some may recall a few weeks ago I asked here on the Lounge about when beaver stopped being used for toppers. It seems that the consensus opinion was that it was around the civil war and that by 1870 or so top hats were no longer beaver but were made of silk plush.

Now, I have asked this question because I have an old topper that was sold to me as a civil war era, beaver top hat. I think now it is silk, but whatever the case I was just trying to figure out what I had.

So, back to ebay.... so I have been watching ebay to see others being offered to judge mine by.

I've noticed there are three auction title styles with these things.

1) They are properly identified as "silk top hats."

2) They are misidentified (perhaps on purpose by some) as "beaver top hats."

But it is the third category that I don't get....

3) They are being called "beaver silk."

Now, we all know there is no such thing as any "beaver silk." It is a fake, made up term that has no meaning at all.

So, I emailed a few of these guys selling their hats as "beaver silk." Every single one of them had no clue what they were talking about and all said they were just aping other sellers and had no real facts at hand.

But I asked each of them what the heck a "beaver silk" even could be and where they got the word. Only one seller made sense. He said he knew nothing about what his hat was really made of but he saw a pile of hats on ebay being called "beaver" and then another pile being called "silk" and he couldn't see any difference between them so he just put the two words together "just in case." But otherwise he had no idea what a "beaver silk" could be.

Some of them later changed their auctions to "silk," thankfully, but others refused to accept the facts.

Anyway, I bring this all up to you guys to show how easy it is to get fake terms created out of nothing on ebay.

Genuine Classic Gangster

One of the Regulars
The OP has a good point in it, but I don't think one can blame the sellers for this problem. They have no reasonable way to gain precise & accurate knowledge about the technical details of the top hats that they are selling. For the most part, they are doing the best they can when writing their descriptions, even though that best often is filled with errors.

The core of this problem is the lack of readily-available technical knowledge about these matters.

Alexander Sommerset

One of the Regulars
No ChicagoWayVito. It says: " the topper was made from a blocked piece of wool felt which was covered in the beaver/fur plush before being trimmed." But the beaver part of that went away around the civil war and didn't re-emerge until the 1960s after the last silk plush makers finally closed shop.

The second method mentioned is a gossamer base. So, it was never a silk base to which the plush was added.

Mason Rudesheim

New in Town
Wait, wait, maybe it comes from a genetic crossbreed between beavers and spiders and the sellers are telling the truth but aren't at liberty to discuss where it came from.

In all honesty though I think what they mean when they say "beaver silk" is that is actually fur melusine and is just a felt with very long hairs.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
In all honesty though I think what they mean when they say "beaver silk" is that is actually fur melusine and is just a felt with very long hairs.
I don't :)

A couple of years ago I wrote up this small crash course in eBay-lingo: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-dobbs-diner.18579/page-63#post-1711604

Realistically it should be a whole book, and my "course" would then just be the title page ;)

Styles, shapes, colors and materials are called anything and whatever on eBay. How should it be any different? Why would the average seller know anything about hats? She doesn't!

Mason Rudesheim

New in Town
I don't :)

A couple of years ago I wrote up this small crash course in eBay-lingo: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-dobbs-diner.18579/page-63#post-1711604

Realistically it should be a whole book, and my "course" would then just be the title page ;)

Styles, shapes, colors and materials are called anything and whatever on eBay. How should it be any different? Why would the average seller know anything about hats? She doesn't!
True, very few Ebay sellers know anything about what they sell. I just figured that melusine, from what I understand, is made of beaver and looks like silk, and therefore may be confused with "beaver silk."

Also, as a side note, in your Ebay lingo post you forgot antique: same as vintage but used as an excuse to charge more money for an even poorer product than vintage.

Sent from inside a Hobbit Hole during second breakfast.

EstherWeis

Vendor
The best and most luxurious melusine and long hair velour, I have seen, were mainly made from hare - not beaver :)

I was just planning on saying that.
The way the hair is built from a beaver doesn't work for a melusine.
Only hare works for melusine.

They comb the hair on the outside until it releases. Beaver hair isn't long enough for that.

You can make Velour from Beaver fur but it doesn't have the polishing qualities of Hare. The Velour today is not manually hand wet brushed (this time consuming process went out shortly after WWII) so not Real Velour. Beaver was processed in a similar way as Velour and applied in sheets similar to Silk which replaced (old story) Beaver for Top Hats. Beaver has super felting qualities while Hare is hard to felt. Pickling / Carrotting processes were improved in the later 19th Century / early 20th Century so Hare could felt close to Beaver. Saxon Hare produced the finest Velour and not the more northern varieties of Hare. This article discusses Velour and Beaver finishing process.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionz...lein-und-grossbetrieb-by-carl-bortfeldt-1902/

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionz...grossbetrieb-by-carl-bortfeldt-1902/#entry973

This is an example of pre WWII Real Velour. Notice the density, finish, shine!

Hückel Superior Crystall Velour (1930s)

4710377722_9fa5dfe698_b.jpg

This is the best + rare article I have found on Real Velour.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/216-hair-velour-real-echter-velour-prime-prima-velour-fabrikation-von-damen-und-herren-filzhüten-der-deustchen-hutmacher-zeitung-1933/

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21