Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Welcome to the Lounge.
I'm having trouble seeing the photo, but did get 1 glimpse at it.
It has a heavily curled brim, like a Homburg = possible Kettle curl, but the crown shape looks non-standard especially like you said for a pork-pie.
Pork-pie crown is a typical telescope crease.
This seems to be a personally modified, vagabond-ish lid to me...

H67

New in Town
Welcome to the Lounge.
I'm having trouble seeing the photo, but did get 1 glimpse at it.
It has a heavily curled brim, like a Homburg = possible Kettle curl, but the crown shape looks non-standard especially like you said for a pork-pie.
Pork-pie crown is a typical telescope crease.
This seems to be a personally modified, vagabond-ish lid to me...

Thank you for your reply.
I uploaded the picture to another server (in hope that it will help to identify it...).

Last edited:

H67

New in Town
From freezing the video, it does look like an old Homburg with the crease punched out of shape & "personalized"...
something you'd expect more from the bass player...:p

I see, so it's look like the only option is to get a Homburg and doing the rest of the job myself.
The question is which hat will suit for this kind of thing?
From what I saw now, in many Homburg hats if you "punch out" the top of the hat, it will be just round.

Last edited:
I see, so it's look like the only option is to get a Homburg and doing the rest of the job myself.
The question is which hat will suit for this kind of thing?
From what I saw now, in many Homburg hats if you "punch out" the top of the hat, it will be just round.

To me, this is an "individual" look kind of thing...this guy may have just stumbled into it & it works for him, now you want to do similar.
I'd go after a "thrift store" homburg that had the brim shape covered, then work on reshaping the crown.
JMHO...

H67

New in Town
To me, this is an "individual" look kind of thing...this guy may have just stumbled into it & it works for him, now you want to do similar.
I'd go after a "thrift store" homburg that had the brim shape covered, then work on reshaping the crown.
JMHO...

I see... can you give example for something like that?
Better if it's from somewhere like eBay, Amazon or some place which ships internationally, it's really hard to find this kind of hats in my country...
The variety in eBay just crazy, it's really confusing.

EDIT: will something like that work?

Last edited:

suitedcboy

One Too Many
When I was kid my dad wore his old hat like that to crawl under the house to light the furnace when the pilot would go out. He called it a "go under the house house hat". If he had fished then it might have also been his fishing hat.

I see... can you give example for something like that?
Better if it's from somewhere like eBay, Amazon or some place which ships internationally, it's really hard to find this kind of hats in my country...
The variety in eBay just crazy, it's really confusing.

EDIT: will something like that work?

I don't know exactly where "." is located so... where is going to be up to you.
I was thing more like...
ha126l.jpg

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
What Kind of Hat is This?

I found this picture of Frank Sinatra on Wikipedia, wearing what looks like a patterned fedora. It seems that this album was from 1959. Where could you find a hat like this?

Come_Dance_With_Me.jpg

EstherWeis

Vendor
What Kind of Hat is This?

My first guess would be that it's a base made from a stiffer material called "toile elastique" and then covered with fabric.
The millinery term is sparterie.

You can find those in most stores here.
I've seen them all over europe, so I'm sure you can find them in the bigger company stores all over the world.
The quality does vary though.

A friend of mine actually bought one at H&M ( the quality isn't good, but it does look ok when dressed up)

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Last edited:

jamesmac1801

One of the Regulars
Cowboy hat identification ?

Hey guys I'm fairly new to the forums and haven't posted yet. I have some old family pictures taken in Oklahoma and was wondering if anyone could help me identify the type of hat creases or possibly Hatmaker's in the pictures. It's hard for me to tell because of photo quality . The pictures are of my great great grandfather . All the pictures except the last one are from the 1910s. Last one is from the 30s or 40s .

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner