Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite aircraft of all time?

Peacoat

Bartender
The F-4 Phantom because of its sheer power. The A1-E Skyraider because of its ability to deliver munitions with pin point low level accuracy. And the UH-1H Huey because of its versatility. Of course I have a personal attachment to these three aircraft, so I am a bit biased!

byronic

One of the Regulars
The Lancaster bomber. I watched a tv programme once where ex pilots were discussing the merits of various planes they had flown but all shared a common characteristic, they were powered by the Rolls Royce Merlin engine: An ex Spitfire pilot said 'the old gal flew like a dream', then an ex Mosquito pilot said that his 'Mossie' 'flew like two Spitfires tied together'. Then a former Lancaster pilot said 'she flew like four Spitfires tied together'. A testament more to the versatility of the engine probably than that of the aircraft, but I can understand why it is often referred to as 'The Mighty Lanc'. I can still remember the huge thrill I had when watching one taking off at an airshow in '76, and how I trembled with excitement so much that I dropped my ice cream (I was 9 years old), much to the delight of a nearby dog who saw that it would not go to waste.

bonnieprince

Familiar Face
N2S3 said:
You probably know this little story:
One day, high above Arizona, we were monitoring the radio traffic of all the mortal airplanes below us.
First, a Cessna pilot asked the air traffic controllers to check his ground speed. 'Ninety knots,' ATC replied. A twin Bonanza soon made the same request. 'One-twenty on the ground,' was the reply.
To our surprise, a navy F-18 came over the radio with a ground speed check. I knew exactly what he was doing. Of course, he had a ground speed indicator in his cockpit, but he wanted to let all the bug-smashers in the valley know what real speed was 'Dusty 52, we show you at 525 on the ground,' ATC responded. The situation was too ripe.
I heard the click of Walter's mike button in the rear seat. In his most innocent voice, Walter startled the controller by asking for a ground speed check from 81,000 feet, clearly above controlled airspace. In a cool, professional voice, the controller replied, 'Aspen 20, I show you at 1,742 knots on the ground.' We did not hear another transmission on that frequency all the way to the coast.
That has to be one of my favorite aviation stories. The F-18 pilot certainly received a lesson in humility that day.

Rufus

Practically Family
I have a soft spot for F4s, as they used to fly out of the airbase near my school in Tokyo when I was little. (As well as F14s which flew in from carries in Tokyo harbour, and Hercs.)

I love old jets, Hawker Hunters, Meteors, and Sabres. There's something so utterly space age about them.

A Sabre would be great as a Birthday present. (March 11, if you've got a jet spare..LOL)

Rufus

Edward

Bartender
Jinkies, can you imagine the congestion charge on one of those?? lol

I have a soft spot for the sleek lines of the one-seater fighter planes, though my favourites would probably be the Flying Tiger's planes, with their painted jaws. Really, it's as much the nose art that I think appeals to me as the design of the planes themselves. :) Not so much a fan of the bombers, though I think that's more my own inability to get beyond their devastating effect than any inherent lack in their design appeal. [huh]

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
St.Ignatz said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLXjU8wJqYA

F7F-3P_Tigercat.jpg

2 P&W R-2800-22W , Max speed 435 mph 4 0.5 brownings, 4 20mm cannon 6 pylons

I hate to nitpick, but that's an F7F, this is an F3F:

F3F-1_4-F-7_Jax.jpg

Very Golden Era, like an F4F Wildcat, but a biplane.

-Dave

galvestonokie

Familiar Face
favorite: UH-1E gunship

Marine Corps version of Huey gunship. They always brought me home, even though this one didn't make it back--one fewer landing than takeoffs. bob

wreckedgunship.jpg

Tibor

One of the Regulars
My favorites would be the P-40B and C models; more so than the deep radiator models D, E and F. They had a purity of design and flow, very sleek for the day and very finished rivet work compared to later models.

I also hold a warm place in my heart for Nieuport 17s, just a lovely, light purposeful ship with that wing and a half setup. French elegance and deadly to boot.

Tibor

One of the Regulars
Hi MikeBravo,

You're right. I haven't seen that one. At first I thought nah, but it has a terrific combination of vintage and "century of progress" with that cowling. A really nice step into streamlining the bird and very evocative of the era.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Tibor said:
Hi MikeBravo,

You're right. I haven't seen that one. At first I thought nah, but it has a terrific combination of vintage and "century of progress" with that cowling. A really nice step into streamlining the bird and very evocative of the era.

Yes, I think you nailed it there. Without the cowl it's not that great. I think the square tail gives it an appearance of strength.

Not as glamorous as fighters but a nice looking workhorse. Obviously aimed at the mail delivery services but were adapted to carry 4 passengers

Lt GUSTL

New in Town
Servus from Vienna,

my favorite aircraft is the CONCORDE (i know, it is NOT a military one).
It is an icon of aviation history and a technological marvel of the 1970s.

kindest regards :)

Unlucky Berman

One of the Regulars
The Horton Ho IX or Go-229: Amazing design. But I think it would have been not easy to fly one. I heard it is hard to handle it with being a complete wing and today they can do it only because the electric takes care for most cases a human can't handle.
800px-Horten_Ho_IX_on_ground.jpg

Also one of my alltime favorites and still in use:
JU-52.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points