What is your favorite aircraft of all time?

Discussion in 'WWII' started by Jerekson, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Stearmen

Stearmen I'll Lock Up

Keep Them Flying

Finally, I have a thread that is going some where! Keep on posting, remember, there is no right or wrong answer here, just lots of cool planes!

2. Smithy

Smithy I'll Lock Up

Being the Battle of Britain nut that I am it'd be a toss up between the Hurricane and the Spitfire, but a Spitfire Mk I or II might just take it.

[​IMG]

Can I be greedy and have two? I'd love a Hawker Fury, the most beautiful biplane ever made

[​IMG]

3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 New in Town

My choice...

P38 Lightning...

[​IMG]

4. Its all about jets---and the rarest of all WWII planes:
    [​IMG]
    Messerschmitt Me 262A
    Swatted mosquitos with ease. ;) Landing was another thing though.

[​IMG]
    He 162 The fastest jet of its time. Rushed into production near the end of the war, it would have really caused us problems had we been confronted with squadrons of them. :eusa_doh: :eek:

5. RLM

RLM Familiar Face

I'd take either of these also:

[​IMG]

Taken at the Reno air races this last September. Who can tell me what they are? Probably obvious to this bunch.

6. RLM

RLM Familiar Face

Or these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. BaggyPants

BaggyPants Familiar Face

Looks to be an RAF Sea Fury with a P51 Mustang behind it :)

8. RLM

RLM Familiar Face

You got it Baggy. Except the Sea Fury has Canadian markings. Post war I'm sure. I don't think the Sea Furys saw much if any action in WWII. Like the Grumman F8F Bearcat, I believe they arrived too late to see any action.

9. swaviator

swaviator New in Town

I agree about a P-47 Razorback. But isn't that a Brewster Buffalo in your picture?

10. swaviator

swaviator New in Town

I too like the Buffalo, but I'm not sure which airplane that I would most like to own. I need to think about this a while

11. BaggyPants

BaggyPants Familiar Face

Yes, I missed the quite obvious Canadian maple leafs in the roundels. It's late here, and my eyes are getting old lol The Sea Fury prototype didn't come until July of 1945, which was a month before VJ day, but the Fury prototype flew in September '44, so I guess you could still describe them as WWII aircraft.

Another of my favourites is the Bristol Beaufighter. Very under-rated aicraft :)

12. RLM

RLM Familiar Face

Yes, the Beaufighter was a unique looking aircraft. I like them too. I wish my scanner were working. I could post scans of a lot of my favorites from my old 1943 Aircraft Spotter's Handbook. I understand the old eyes. I've been wearing glasses for about 38 years, since I was 7. I stare at a computer screen or read old xeroxed documents all day. So, what do I do when I get home but get back on the computer again. I've been putting off bifocals for too long.

13. swaviator

swaviator New in Town

[​IMG]

Kurt Tank had a fine eye for design and as Bill Boeing once said, "If it looks good, it'll fly good". It's hard to pick one airplane from WWII for a personal mount, but the 190D, had plenty of power and speed. Reports from Americans who had the chance to fly captured ones, it was a delight.

14. swaviator

swaviator New in Town

The FW190D

15. swaviator

swaviator New in Town

[​IMG]

16. MrBern

MrBern I'll Lock Up

"The first time I ever saw a jet, I shot it down."
    -Chuck Yeager referring to the Me262

17. swaviator

swaviator New in Town

Uploading pictures

Could someone help me. I'm trying to upload a picture but I'm not doing it correctly. What is the proper sequence??

18. RLM

RLM Familiar Face

You have to upload it from a picture server. I use photobucket. Copy the IMG Code that's at the bottom of the pop up window below the picture and paste it into your message. Use the "Preview Post" button to make sure it worked before submitting the post.

19. KilroyCD

KilroyCD One Too Many

Oh, I'm with you on that as well, Smithy, as the Mk.I is one I like every bit as much as the Mk.XIV. I just couldn't find a very good photo of one to post this morning. :D

20. davestlouis

davestlouis Practically Family

I'm partial to big 4 engine bombers...B17s and B24s and the like. Several CAF planes flew over my house last summer, and the most impressive was a B17 rumbling overhead, love the sound of 4 radials drumming away.

The FW200 "Condor" is a sleek beauty too...

How about flying boats?