Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite aircraft of all time?

Jerekson

One Too Many
I'm extremely happy to be hearing so many Flying-Fort-related comments. Before this forum I was sure that I was the only one who had a love for that plane :rolleyes:

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Kellett K-2
Kellettprofilecopy.jpg

First flight of the first Air Corps helicopter.
firstflightcopy.jpg

Second prototype of the above machine
XR-1A1944PL-LP.jpg

Teekay44

One of the Regulars
How do I pick?

There are soooo many I really like. Heres the short list

B-25 What my grandfather flew in and was crew chief on.

B-17 Queen of the Skys!

Hurricane The workhorse fighter of the BoB.

C-47 A war winning plane if there ever was one.

ME 109 The clasic German fighter.

For sheer prestige, the Boeing 314 Clipper.
paa3.jpg

If I gotta go fight in WWII, and can't bring my own bird, a Northrop P-61 Black Widow.
P_61BlackWidow72.jpg

What's not to love about 4 20mm cannons and a quad-.50's worth of "make my day"?

Modern, make mine the A-10 for sheer maneuverability, the Tomcat for two-seater "going Mach two with my hair on fire", or the B-52 for long-range work. Travel with company, the Gulfstream 550 family, or a 747-400 stripped and rebuilt into a long-range luxury cruiser.

And for sheer fun-factor, a BD-5J Microjet. Yeah, I know they have a pattern of being pilot-killers under some conditions and I'm too big to bail-out--it took my traveling companion and a museum staffer BOTH to extract my carcass from the one I sat in--but they're still a lot of fun to fly.

Oh, and an SR-71 Blackbird. There's something about just looking at a Habu that gets the adrenaline pumping... like maybe how it looks like Mach 3, even when it's standing still.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Oh, man, Dixon...

That is one swell plane. Several questions... What does this puppy run? How long does it take to assemble? How many have been built? Any lost to accidents? Finally, is that your first-person narrative in the blog article? Were you the test pilot?

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Zemke Fan said:
That is one swell plane. Several questions... What does this puppy run? How long does it take to assemble? How many have been built? Any lost to accidents? Finally, is that your first-person narrative in the blog article? Were you the test pilot?

Well, at the moment I'm just an admirer from afar - but I have my dream! The manufacturer shut down it's operation in Nampa, ID a few years ago, but the assets of the company are held by The Thunder Builders Group (TBG) and they are not yet building new kits. They are looking for an investor though! The original kit sold for $195,000; built for you for about $250,000. I think there are about nine actually flying, one of which sets records at Reno. The original aircraft, the green bird, was lost in a crash near Nampa. NTSB called pilot error - too low for the maneuvers. The articles all have been gleaned from the web - I don't know the authors - some were articles in various flying magazines.

The test flight article was written by Dale Clarke, whose bio in included in the blog. He was the unfortunate pilot at the contols at the time of the crash.

There are kits still available in various degrees of completion and TBG maintains the original Papa51 website at: http://www.thundermustang.com/ . They have a great sales DVD available of the aircraft's developement, testing and flight. It is exhilerating!

Glad you like this bird ZF! I am obsessed with it - I fly it in my dreams!!

-dixon cannon

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Fletch, I've always loved those big crazy Dorniers, too. But this is a toughy. Here's my list, in no partricular order: KC 130, I flew from Hawaii to California in one in 1968, and it was a hoot; Hawker Hunter, elegant early generation British jet; Gloster Gladiator, cool transitional era fighter: all metal, fixed gear, enclosed cockpit biplane; Hawker Hart/Fury/Demon, etc. elegant between the wars fighters; of course, the Mosquito; Vicker Viscount, early turboprop passenger plane (I flew on one of those in 1963); gotta love the Sopwith Camel; Lockheed F-104 Starfighter. OK, I could go on. Pick one favorite? Pretty tough! Oh, yeah! How can I forget the Lockheed Constellation! Oh, yeah! The good old Douglas Dauntless!
P.S. I think this thread just proves that just because an activity is mindlessly idiotic and unproductive doesn't mean that it ain't worthwhile and fun!

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Howdy Fellas!!

Holywood Factor - P-51 Mustang
Workhorse - P-47 Thunderbolt
My Favorite _ P-38 Lockheed Lighting - Top Ace Richard Bong

henderson field

New in Town
There can be only one (IMHO)

I am very lucky to live near the Imperial War Museum in Cambridgeshire, UK. Apart from an extensive collection of fine aircraft on static display they have a marvellous collection of flying warbirds including: P51 Mustangs, P-47 Thunderbolt, F4 Corsair, Hellcat, Martlet ( aka Wildcat), Tigercat, Airacobra,...etc. The museum is also the home to the B-17 Flying Fortress "Sally B".

All these 'beautiful ladies' are a sight for sore eyes but if I have to choose a favourite it has to be the Supermarine Spitfire. Although not the most heavily armed or with the longest range it has, for me, the graceful lines of a thoroughbred. The sweeping fuselage and those famous elliptical wings - sheer beauty! And who can fail to be moved by the warm, throaty growl of a well-tuned Merlin engine?

I'm sorry ladies but my heart is lost! :)

HF

jake431

Practically Family
Dixon Cannon said:
p-479thaf48thfg.jpg

I'll bet this is the jug from the 9thAF/48thFG you're talking about! -dc

It is indeed. Interestingly enough; before my Grandfather was sent to the Pacific, his squadron was attached to the 48th BG (Dive) which became the 48th FG. So I have quite the soft spot for that group; it's a hell of a "might have been" for me. His squadron was arbitrarily detached from the group and the pilots made replacements, which is how he wound up co-piloting B-24s across the central pacific rather than attacking Germans in a P-47.

-Jake

SpitfireXIV

One of the Regulars
Jerekson said:
I'm extremely happy to be hearing so many Flying-Fort-related comments. Before this forum I was sure that I was the only one who had a love for that plane :rolleyes:
no, i go to see the Flying Fortress and the Liberator every summer during the "Wings of Freedom" tour see www.collingsfoundation.org/cf_schedule-wof.htm . one year, a Mitchell joined them in the midwest. it was a sight to behold *sighs*

Jerekson

One Too Many
Hey, thanks for the info, Spitfire.

They're coming to my area later this month - I'll be sure to check it out! I'm excited!

SpitfireXIV

One of the Regulars
Jerekson said:
Hey, thanks for the info, Spitfire.

They're coming to my area later this month - I'll be sure to check it out! I'm excited!
it's neat when you manage to see them fly about town; it's one thing to see them on the runway, another matter entirely when flying overhead!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko