Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite aircraft of all time?

cco23i

A-List Customer
My dad served in Southeast Asia during the Vietnam war. He was a crew chief on F4 Phantom IIs, but working the line saw a lot of different aircraft come through. I think the Skyraiders were some of his favorites. He said they were very cool firing up, as you could see an individual puff of smoke from each cylinder as they picked up RPMs.

Dad was exposed to a lot of cool aircraft, because his dad (see my avatar) was career USAAF/USAF. Grandpa and family were stationed at Tachikawa AFB in the mid-1950s and he saw some of the last F-51s and F4U Corsairs in service, and got to ride in a glass-nosed B-25.

After Japan, grandpa went to Forbes AFB near Topeka, Kansas, where Dad was exposed to B-58 Hustlers, another fascinating aircraft. But I digress...

-Dave

COOL! It's great to hear stories from fellow "knuckle busters" I worked RF-4's and F-111's.

Scott

/|\

One of the Regulars
Speaking of F-106s...

http://www.f-106deltadart.com/71fis_PilotlessLanding_580787.htm

58-0787 lands Pilot-less in a field in Montana

On 2 Feb 1970 a 71st FIS F-106A (S/N 58-0787) entered a flat spin forcing pilot Capt Gary Faust to eject. Un-piloted, the aircraft recovered on its own and miraculously made a gentle belly landing in a snow-covered Montana field. In some stories, as you'll read below, it became know as the "Cornfield Bomber". At the time of the incident the tail markings belonged to the 71st FIS out of Malmstrom AFB, however the 71st FIS was later changed to the 319th FIS, Malmstrom. Retired Colonel Wolford (Major at the time) was the Chief of Maintenance at the 71st FIS at the time. His name was stenciled on the side of 58-0787 as the pilot, however, Major Wolford wasn't flying the bird at the time of the incident. Read more accounts of this incident below.

Pics on the page.

CharlieB

A-List Customer
For me, the B25 Mitchell has the biggest drool factor.

They usually have one at WWII Days at the Mid Atlantic Air Museum - Reading Airport, Reading PA.

She's just as sharp in person!

cco23i

A-List Customer
Of course, we forgot the B-24J! Turrets and all!

Scott

This from our last bomber fantasy camp!

B24drop2.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
re: B-24's.
A lot of people who flew them were NOT very in love with them. They killed almost as many of their crews in accidents as in actual combat. Hard airplane to fly. But a real workhorse nonetheless.
There's a great description in the memoirs of Lord Alanbrooke (CIGS during most of the war) of flying to the Soviet Union with Churchill, et al, via Iran, for a conference with Stalin. The journey was made in a B-24, the aircraft best suited for such a long journey.

HepKitty

One Too Many
This poor thing is rotting at the airport in Blackfoot, ID. Anyone know what it is?

Check out where the gauges are... Don't bother looking in the cockpit

Time for new duct tape?

And check out that oil leak!

Last edited:

/|\

One of the Regulars
Looks like a Stearman to me.

But it would take another view (a profile would be good) for me to be sure one way or the other.

You don't happen to remember the N-number, do you?

EDIT: I type too slowly. Diamondback beat me to it.

Last edited:

HepKitty

One Too Many
Boeing Stearman Kaydet family, possibly a PT-13 (Army, PT-17 slightly improved version)/N2S (Navy). Email me the N-number, and I'll go through some back-doors at FAA and look it up...

I'll see if I can get the tail number the next time I go there. Hey maybe tomorrow, I have to go to Blackfoot for my flight medical

thor

Call Me a Cab
My favorite aircraft:

Supermarine Spitfire
North American B-25 Mitchell
Douglass SBD Dauntless

Honorable mention: Grumman Goose

JimWagner

Practically Family
800px-Orion.usnavy.750pix.jpg

The last of the prop bombers.

I think the P-3 is as close as you can get to the old bomber days as far as crew coordination and mission work. Lots and lots of fun.

My favorite as I crewed on one on the 60's. Not especially a pretty aircraft, but it's been quietly doing its job hunting down nuclear submarines for nearly 50 years now. I forget which Russian admiral said it, but when he wanted to know where his subs were he'd find out where the P-3s were operating.

You're more likely to see them inside hurricanes these days.

TheSnark

One of the Regulars
Here we go:
corsairturning.jpg

I have to go with the Corsair as my all-time favorite. On the other end of the scale, the Gyrodyne DASH gets my vote for "Ugliest Flying Machine Ever Built". Good thing it was remote-controlled... no one would want to be seen actually flying in this thing:

gyrodynedsn3dashreduced.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic