Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite aircraft of all time?

HepKitty

One Too Many
Like nowhere? :lol:

Sorry. On topic: I haven't seen anyone mention the P-6E Hawk. There's a beautiful airplane that screams Golden Era.

-Dave

Yeah file that post!

Here is a particularly beautiful P-6E

And here is the prettiest cargo plane ever (not a contest since cargo planes aren't designed for looks, are they?) the C-5 Galaxy

oldcrow82

One of the Regulars
This is what I soloed in so of course I have a special place in my heart for this ship:

IMG_0459.jpg

It is a Taylorcraft L2M. 65hp tandem seat, liasion aircraft. I logged 80 or so hours in this kite.

As bush flying is what excites me this is one of my favorites also:

80.jpg

A German built Feisler Storch. Designed in the mid 30's it was designed be able fly and land ANYWHERE this bird did not disappoint. It is a in row 3 seat that was powered by a 240hp inverted V8. Lots of power lots of performance

For the sheer thoroughbred beauty the D variant of the FW190 also gets me excited:

fw190d-1.jpg

Here is a plastic model version that was built by yours truly:

IMG_8668-1.jpg

This model is for sale on ebay currently (shameless plug sorry!) My other hobby is building plastic models. I am a builder I am not a collector. So if your looking for a holiday gift for the man who has everything how about some jewlery for his desktop.

Last edited:
I don't know if I have written in this thread previously but from the WWII era there are many really exciting planes however I'd love to get to go for a ride in a C-47 or DC3 (or DC3S.) The C-47 was developed from the DC-3. A real work horse that was beloved by almost all that flew it. But it would be neat to get to ride in almost any WWII era plane.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
C-47 & Grasshoppers

I'm a little biased because my Dad was in the 9th Air Force with a C-47 squadron. I think Bill Lear, [yes of the same jet] said it best, he said, "the only plane that will replace a DC3, is another DC3," and he did not complement other peoples designees! Love the Fighting Grasshoppers! Hitler had a bounty out on any L Bird, because they could rain down more tons of high explosives in a square foot, than any other plane. I got to fly an L5 for a while, what a plane, a real blast! I landed once with a 15 knot quartering starboard wind, touched down on one end of the numbers, stopped on the other end! Another time, the tower asked if I could expedite my turn out on take off, I rogered them and turned right as soon as I had some altitude. The tower asked if I was going to hit them, I responded Wilco as I passed them at eye level, they were all laughing! Whish they were not so expensive, I had more fun in that little green plane then any of the big birds I have flown!

Missy Hellfire

One of the Regulars
The Avro Lancaster, otherwise known as the Lancaster Bomber. Beautiful and sounds like a dream with its four merlin engines. I live at an old Lancaster base and live in hope that maybe the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Lancaster which is stationed not too far away may one day decide to set down here for old time's sake.

oldcrow82

One of the Regulars
Thanks Hepkitty, I am quite fortunate to have soloed in something so unique and cool. It was my grandfather who taught me and turned me loose. I am a 4th generation pilot. I did alot of my training in your neck of the woods. My grandparents currently hail from Emmett ID.
Now about your favorite cargo plane, really? Its not:

images.jpg

OD or in civilian wear the timeless C-47 is a real beauty.

HepKitty

One Too Many
I'm a little biased because my Dad was in the 9th Air Force with a C-47 squadron. I think Bill Lear, [yes of the same jet] said it best, he said, "the only plane that will replace a DC3, is another DC3," and he did not complement other peoples designees! Love the Fighting Grasshoppers! Hitler had a bounty out on any L Bird, because they could rain down more tons of high explosives in a square foot, than any other plane. I got to fly an L5 for a while, what a plane, a real blast! I landed once with a 15 knot quartering starboard wind, touched down on one end of the numbers, stopped on the other end! Another time, the tower asked if I could expedite my turn out on take off, I rogered them and turned right as soon as I had some altitude. The tower asked if I was going to hit them, I responded Wilco as I passed them at eye level, they were all laughing! Whish they were not so expensive, I had more fun in that little green plane then any of the big birds I have flown!

You are seriously making me jealous! lol

My friend's dad used to fly DC-3s and a long list of other planes, he was a Navy pilot. Her mom was a civilian CFI but she's afraid of all the math in ground school so she won't even try

Bingo

New in Town
The B 17. Beautiful aircraft. No wonder they gave a lot of them women's names.
Also love the B25 and of course the Lanc.
Favorite fighter has to be Mossie. But I quite like Me 210's

MissMittens

One Too Many
I told my wife that when I turn 50 ( in two years), this is the present I want:

http://www.missmitchell.org/

The CAF do a great job at keeping history, and these birds, alive. A little known fact is that the money for the flights barely covers the costs involved. It's really done out of admiration and honor. I worked in the past with CAF when it was the Confederate Air Force, which had nothing to do with the Confederacy...guess the word Confederate has connotations in today's day and age

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran