Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite aircraft of all time?

Barman

Familiar Face
WW2:

P47 Thunderbolt
P47_Thunderbolt_Hun_Hunter.jpg

Dewoitine D.520
Sion-1986-062.jpg

Messerschmitt ME262
800px-ILA_2010_-_gravitat-OFF_-_Messerschmitt_Me_262_B1-A_002.jpg

1960s:

Dassault Mirage III
Dassault_Mirage_IIIC,_France_-_Air_Force_AN0695826.jpg

Vought F-8 Crusader
French_F-8P_Crusader.jpg

1970s:

Grumman F-14
f14.jpg

Panavia Tornado
panavia-tornado-2.jpg

Warden

One Too Many
OK maybe not my all time favourite aircraft, but I am really looking forward to going to this weekends Moths at Woburn. Tiger Moths from all over the world come to this stately home in Bedfordshire for the weekend.

Plus lucky enough to get press passes so we can record a Harry & Edna on the Wireless show from the event.

CMHt6K1WcAI3Mqp.jpg

Redshoes51

One of the Regulars
Douglas C-124 Globemaster

c124.jpg

c124 (1).jpg

My favorite aircraft for no other reason than I served as an engine mechanic for a unit that flew these planes. I LOVE the sound of huge reciprocating engines firing off...

~shoes~

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
My favorite aircraft for no other reason than I served as an engine mechanic for a unit that flew these planes. I LOVE the sound of huge reciprocating engines firing off...

Here you go! [video=youtube;kHdNR3u6keU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHdNR3u6keU[/video]

Redshoes51

One of the Regulars
Here you go!

Stearmen... Thank you SO much!! I went to tech school at Sheppard AFB... and a phase of our training had to do with those 4360s being mounted to some trailers...

There is a fellow here in town who has a shop... 'Air Repair'... restores Strearman aircraft... he is a master...

Again.. thank you for posting that link!

~shoes~

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Stearmen... Thank you SO much!! I went to tech school at Sheppard AFB... and a phase of our training had to do with those 4360s being mounted to some trailers...

There is a fellow here in town who has a shop... 'Air Repair'... restores Strearman aircraft... he is a master...

Again.. thank you for posting that link!

~shoes~

No problem! I hate Air Repair, because it makes me cry to see what Stearmens are bringing now days! I remember the Bud Light Special Super Corsair with it's R-4360. While the Merlins and Bristol Centaurus engines sounded like they were ready to explode, the R-4360 sounded like it was out for a leisurely Sunday drive.

Stand By

One Too Many
A slight diversion off the thread, but I don't know where else it should go … and everyone here loves military aircraft, so I hope nobody minds.
Just saw this and was amazed at the photos.
Apparently, some commentators are moaning that it's not a new story, but heck, photos like this never get old, I say. Imagine taking these shots from the ground as you take a hill walk!
Nice to see the heather is out on the moors too … such beautiful countryside.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tml?login#readerCommentsCommand-message-field

Last edited:

EstherWeis

Vendor
It might be slightly off topic. But heck, it's plane related.

My grandfather was deported to Berlin in 1942 as a forced laborer ( as were many other from all over Europe).
I had a very good relationship with both my grandparents and was lucky to have spend such a long time with both of them ( granddad passed when I was 23, grandma at 25)

He was stationed at the junkers factory just outside of the city, the made the front of the plane ( more known as stuka's)

It was a most horrible ordeal but i would listen with great interest to his stories from when he was there.
It was only after his death that we discovered how bad the situation actually was.

When I was in Chicago in 2008 we stumbled upon a stuka hanging in the museum of science and industry. I was very emotional and sat there looking at it for at least 30 minutes. There aren't many still out there since most got bombed or set on fire to protect the technology.

When returning home and speaking to him about it was unlike I had ever seen him before. So it's just him and myself who have seen one, and to me that really means something.

I've been doing some digging recently because we are going to Berlin and would like to go to the place where he was, but the factories are long gone from what I can find.

So if any of you aircraft enthusiasts knows anything?

On another note,
We live close to a small airport and they fly old planes, I'll try to get some pictures next time, it's pretty cool!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I knew Col. John "Jack" de Vries, who latterly wrote the book on the Taube! Taube Dove of War, 1978.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
There are a lot of pilots shot down over South East Asia, that will attest to this being the most beautiful airplane of all times! officially known as the Douglas AD Skyraider when it entered service with the U.S. Navy at the end of WWII. While serving in Korea and Vietnam, it acquired a lot of nicknames. Able Dog, Spad, Hobo, Firefly, Zorro, The Big Gun, Old Faithfull, Flying Dumptruck, Crazy Water Buffalo, and of course Sandy. I also include the unofficial Spad song. It does include a few choice words, but not as bad as the language used on Sandy missions!
untitled111_zpszct9yqsw.png

Last edited:

EstherWeis

Vendor
Thank you. I'll send them an email.

We went to a memorial in Berlin and they gave us an address to look at the archives.
It's insane how many people were forced to work there. It's a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack. But I'm sure I'll find it in time.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ