Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is Your Favorite Classic Portrait?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I was thinking of this the other day, after a conversation with a dear friend of mine on this board, what is your favorite classic photographic portrait and why?

Some portraits capture the essence of individuals and pivotal moments in their lives, providing an image to the overall narrative of their histories.

Here we have Karsh's portrait of Ernest Hemingway, which I just saw at the MFA. Absolutely moving in person.

This is Hemingway cresting the hill of artistic achievement, still flush with achievement of his Noble Prize for literature, still looking ahead toward all that he would yet create, and now imbued with that tinge of irony that he would not produce a major work beyond this point.

Still, here he is with that fierce determined physical presence that added so much heft to his writing. Here he is just before it all fell apart. Ernest Hemingway.

14-Hemingway.jpg

What are your favorites and why?

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Top of mind comes this one.
And we all know what happened to Winstons cigar.
A fantastic portrait, showing the fighter and the leader.
churchill.jpg

Next on my list - from the same period - is this great portrait of a fighterpilot from Battle of Britain: The South African Albert Lewis.
I like it because it's a snapshot - and it shows The Spirit of The Few.
L1010083-1.jpg

Caroline

One of the Regulars
images-3.jpg

I've always been capitvated by this one of Truman Capote. Although it doesn't seem to be as admired as the Harold Halma photo on the original jacket of "Other Voices, Other Rooms." The image of Capote askew, in the natural world or in a staged nature, always brings me back to that book.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Spitfire said:
Top of mind comes this one.
And we all know what happened to Winstons cigar.
A fantastic portrait, showing the fighter and the leader.
churchill.jpg
You beat me to the punch, old buddy. The photographer caught Winston moments after having given a rousing and well received speech to the Canadian Parliament in Ottawa. The photographer had carefully set up his spot, Churchill was taken completely by surprise. He really didn't have much time for picture taking at the moment, which is reflected in his expression. The result is absolutely the best portrait of the grand old man ever made.

just_me

Practically Family
The Churchill and Hemingway portraits are fantastic. I'd also have to add any of a number of portraits by Edward Steichen.

Garbo:

steichen_garbo.jpg

Norma Shearer:

Norma_Shearer_Edward_Steichen_01.jpg

Gary Cooper:

EdwardSteichenfotografiamoda.jpg

Marlene Dietrich:

steichen10.jpg

Mojito

One Too Many
EugeneRichee-Pearls.jpg

Louise Brooks

As one of those whom the camera loved, there are any number of beautiful portraits of Brooksie that capture that direct, penetrating gaze...many that radiate her sexuality...and a few that even catch that radiant smile or playful grin on the wing. This shot, however, is rightfully iconic.

gloria-swanson-by-edward-st.jpg

Gloria Swanson

valentino1.jpg

Valentino

I was looking for the "trance" portrait of Valentino by Bruno of Hollywood - that one comes close to catching the look that Valentino had, the one that could send a jolt right through you.

These are all glam shots of photogenic subjects, of course - but very lovely, and personal favourites.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
My favorite is:

Not a "classic photo portrait" but, a drawn portrait of the classy Ashley.

ediebyrobre9.jpg

She wanted me to draw her so I did... I haven't drawn a portrait in a wile but, I've been told it's the best one I've drawn... I'm happy with the way it came out.

DerMann

Practically Family
Always loved this photograph.

ww2-84.jpg

Although it's anonymous, to me, it expresses just what Churchill wanted the British people to do during the war.

Unless I'm wildly mistaken, it's a civilian, probably too old to serve in actual combat or infantry, and yet he dons a Brodie helm and keeps watch over the skies over London - constantly vigilant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran