Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite red lipstick brand/shade?

Honey Doll

Practically Family
MAC Carnal replacement

Ever since MAC in its infinite wisdom decided to discontinue Carnal, I've been searching for a substitute....finally success!

Beseame's Noir Red is a dead ringer (so to speak).

Honey Doll

Nashoba

One Too Many
I'm all screwed up on my lip color now. My fav's were Besame Red Velvet and Loreal Red Rhapsody but since I went from brunette (and a dark brunette at that ) to blonde, my fav colors just don't look the same. I'm having to start all over again! Luckily I got every red besame had when I was looking for my reds to begin with so I just have to go through them all again.....
Right now though Loreal's Drumbeat Red seems to be looking the best...

berrybuzz

One of the Regulars
Covergirl Outlast Satin Red, this stuff is awesome. Gorgeous red shade and it really does stay on for hours and hours and hours.

Pina Bridgette

One of the Regulars
A new favorite...

l_olabitten.jpg

Lola Bitten Creme Lipstick with Foxy Lipliner

rich color, excellent coverage. very smooth.

BOOMBEBE

New in Town
5519.jpg

ESTEE LAUDER LIPSTICK. simply delightful, never goes dry, dosent smeeeeer off or get on your glass when you drink beverages.(i hate the mixture of ice tea and waxy cosmetics). i dont know this is the winner for me.
100_2659.jpg

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
Not just a lipstick as I use it on my cheeks too, but can I reccomend Revlons new 'Just Bitten' roll on lip stain?
It's about £10 ($20?) and lasts forever...I use blood orange and I love it!!!!
K

nyx

One of the Regulars
I just wanted to thank you ladies. I went to the MAC counter based on all of your posts and tried out Ruby Woo and Russian Red. Ruby Woo was a bit too garish for my coloring, but Russian Red was the perfect red. Thanks so much for helping me find a great red lipstick!

Ellie Jane

New in Town
I just discovered a new Virgin Vie lipstick, the shade is just called 'red'. I went into the shop on a whim cos they had a load of stuff on sale, and any lippy is worth a pound in my book. Kind of lip glossy, but covers like a lipstick, I think I'm in love. *pouts*

kerry

One of the Regulars
nyx said:
I just wanted to thank you ladies. I went to the MAC counter based on all of your posts and tried out Ruby Woo and Russian Red. Ruby Woo was a bit too garish for my coloring, but Russian Red was the perfect red. Thanks so much for helping me find a great red lipstick!
It is perfect isnt it:)

nyx

One of the Regulars
kerry said:
It is perfect isnt it:)

Yes! It's just deep enough to compliment my coloring while still being a "true" red. Plus it goes on super smooth. I haven't worn it out yet, so I'm waiting to try it out some evening and test it's staying power too.

fernande

Vendor
lipsticks- some new ideas / things in my KIT

Here are some red colors that are permanently in my kit- I have listed the appropriate "tones" - Although no color rules are carved in stone- (I'm sure everyone at some point in their lives- have had some avon lady or department store counter person- or even their own mother say - "oh you're warm toned/ you're a "winter!"

Some brands you may not be familiar with or are more film/professional lines-- but often these pro brands do not carry the mainstream dept store/MAC price tags (which is cool) I'm trying to list new things, than some of the heavily mentioned things (like the mac tones, revlons, the besames-which are great-ect)

looks good on just about everyone-

La FEMME- cleo red (true red/neutral), red roses (carnation/berry toned) & flare (warm)

(these are 3.50 at aaadiscount beauty and are awesome- if you look into any makeup artist's kit, you are going find tons of La Femme- its cheap, its highly pigmented (more so than MAC- I swear!) and has a zillion colors- even old fashion style "cake" mascara- that is really fab-

here are some other shades to check out- most of them you can find online.

Nars Jungle Red (aptly named for Joan Crawford's nail color in "The women")
Julie Hewitt "femme noir" (neutral)
"belle noir" (warm)
Laura Mercier "seduction" (neutural warmish)- "tunisian moon"-really great warm almost melon-y 30s esque shade-

Cinema Secrets does a PALETTE that is all true reds- that is very nice and very versatile-
its called "RED HOT #1" and is great- $16.00 and you get 5 shades
their #6 palette "french kiss" has some very nice toned burgundies/burnished red/plum shades- you can mix these two palettes and create pretty much any tone you want.

Makeup For Ever- does a Palette called "Cherry Red" very nice as well. You can check this one out at Sephora stores.

I am a huge fan of Face Stockholm lipsticks. Not an easy find, but they do great shades- "Matte Sangria" is a great neutral MATTE red that gives that deep cherry red stain on the lips if wiped off. (I apply the lipstick heavily- then blot- two times- really looks good- very Clara Bow/bee stung-
It also looks good on almost everyone- every ethnicity, ect.
hopefully their website will be up and running soon- They have a GREAT catalog- that they will send you for free, that is really detailed and has very accurate color photographs, ect.
They also do great sheers- which I often wear since even though sheer glossy shades aren't really "vintage"- they work for me. "Strawberry" is a nice pinky red, that I can slick on without looking in the mirror, this is another one I've put on almost everyone and it looks good.

Kevyn Aucoin's "Blood Roses" is also a beautiful red- and was made for Tori Amos- who rock's red lips often, and looks smashing.

Nar's "Babe" is a good sheer true red gloss.

Shu Uemura's 175 (red with a hint of gold shimmer), 249 (pinky carnation red), 581 (burnt orange) are also good "vintage" looking shades-
This is an amazing line and will also send you a catalog and sometimes samples in little vials- they also make the best brushes in the business.

If you want to go "hardcore"- and you really want to know what Dita Von Teese wears, at least when she performs- (see an ancient testimonial from her on their site- bet MAC dosn't know about this! ha!) and it often used in film (regardless of what Instyle claims a MUA uses- its LIP-INK.

Lip Ink is professional lipstick that once applied does not come off. You need special remover to get it off- but- It is wonderful if you like a real red lip and really don't want to apply it again- and have it look exactly like you put it on that morning- This is for you- Its the original product that inspired all those long wearing max factor lipsticks/lip sealer products (that I think fizzled? about five years ago?) But this is the original- much stronger version.
This is also really good if you are a burlesque dancer or have trouble with your lipstick smearing (or getting on your chin)
When I have a black tie event - I always wear lip ink. then I am not worried that my gorgeous red is all over my face- (or wore off on my champagne glass) I'm one of those people, that my lipstick seems to move around- no matter what I do-
They match *all* of Mac's colors- so if you want "Ruby Woo" or "Russian Red" you can use their color chart and get the "pro version"- they honestly perfectly match.
The colors are all matte, but they sell a lacquer that can be applied to give a glossy pout. This really isn't sold anywhere- but you can order from their website- they are LA based. good stuff.

Off topic but Lip Inks- eyebrow kit is also really good if you want a super defined brow either thin 30s style- or super Bacall defined 40s style. This is another thing I often hear complaints from girls into vintage looks who like the thin eyebrow look- their eyebrows "wipe off" or disappear- not with this stuff- really good.. This is also great if you don't have much in terms of eyebrows or your eyebrows are blonde.

I'm sure your head is spinning- hope I gave some fun ideas, if anyone has any other questions, feel free to PM me- I was the trainer/head makeup artist hired for the launch of Besame cosmetics in the USA, and I specialize in vintage makeup. I've done Burlesque- so I know what products will not come off, what stays on forever, ect- and now pretty much do editorial and film work now-
but lately I've been doing special fX (think gore- like "SAW"- eeeeeew! ha)

I've been reading Fedora Lounge for quite some time- and finally joined- I love reading everyone's posts- besides other things-I'm kind of endless well of weird glamour advice. Don't get me started on False Eye Lashes!
Best

J
(fernande)

Blondie

Practically Family
WOW Fernade ! Thanks for all that info, i will be looking into lip ink today ! I think i am going to go broke in my eternal quest for the perfect red lipstick, i have 138 shades of red and still counting ..........

wibblebird

New in Town
I actually just ordered a trial size of lip ink. Expensive, but if it works better than the drugstore semi-permanents...I'll post my review!

fernande

Vendor
cool

Glad the info was helpful.
Its normal to have an "eternal quest" for the perfect shade.

But everything you see in print- or even back in the day- like makeup master Whitey Synder- who was Monroe's makeup artist=blended. I always laugh when I read magazines like Allure or Instyle and see friends and colleagues doing "what I use" articles, because 99 percent of the time- its total garbage- makeup lines that are current advertisers are listed as "hot items"- or "essentials"- its quite deceptive. Most kits are 99 cent lipstick and vaseline- The only place where that doesn't ring true is in foundation/powder products. (I could go on for hours-(as you might guess ha ha) on my favs.

What I sometimes do, is take my favorite vintage dress (often its a floral print that has a flower bud or design I like the color of) and bring it into Nordstroms or Macys ect- and stripe away to match the tone- whether its a pink or a peach or a red- I do this on the inside of my wrist- (this is the area where you should test everything BTW (not on your cheek or across your jawline, as often thought)- foundation, blush, ect.. because its really your natural skin tone, the sun doesn't really get there, its a good place to start - and you can build on that!
Although it sounds really weird to match makeup to your outfits- we are naturally gravitate towards colors and things that flatter us, even if you feel clueless in terms of makeup, grab your favorite colored item, like a dress or a sweater, and its probably in the tone that suits you. Its a good place to start. (so I guess there is some truth to that "winter/"autumn" stuff)

Glad Lip Ink does samples!! I was unaware of that!
- hope it works for you- all of the products are great and they are a super small company and deserve to become better known.

Some really pricey stuff really is worth it. This is true with Clea' De Peau. Its ridiculously expensive, but worth every penny.

check out the La Femme too- its really good and CHEAP! :)

wibblebird

New in Town
Lip Ink

The Lip Ink samples are almost as expensive as the colors themselves - but they include a sample of the lip shine and the "Off" remover.

It is really the ultimate lip stain. I've tried several and they wear off my lips awful quickly. But Lip Ink didn't. Only problem I have with it is the tingle when you initially put it on - it stings! And the expense. That being said I went ahead and ordered the whole sample kit. I love lipcolor, but hate the maintenance of it, so this is the lippy for me.

Blondie

Practically Family
Fernande,
Re : Lip Ink,
Do you know what the shades are that match MAC Russian Red and also Ruby Woo ??
I have emailed them and no response......
Also what is their professional line and how does it differ from the regular line,
thanks

fernande

Vendor
lip ink

Yes the tingling is normal.- and you do have to do a "ritual" of steps. but most girls into vintage don't seem to mind the steps- its sort of a boudoir femme fatale thing- like putting on your armour.

like I stated in my post, this is the lipstick for you if you want to go "hardcore" ha. I just love it because you can have that "painted on" vintage pout. I love this look.

Lip Ink, up until six months ago, used to have a direct comparison chart with MAC's colors- they'd list " lip ink ruby= mac "o"" but perhaps they got in trouble for that, so they don't do it anymore- I took a few minutes to search the site and it seems that its gone (and the site's been slightly redesigned)

Blondie- I think the best comparison to Russian Red is going to be the shade "Lava Red" layered three times. Lip Ink is a pro line so everything has "levels" Here is a chart you can view through Adobe Acrobat. I tried to save it as a photo, but it didn't work so I just uploaded it to my website.

http://www.magicvintage.com/ColorChart.pdf

Here to show you a different effects you can get with different "layers" are a couple pictures of lipink's "RED" & "LAVA" red are some looks I've done.
(photography/styling/makeup by fernande) these were actually very random sort of "spur of the moment" things with girlfriends playing dress up with my pieces from vintage collection. both "looks" took 10 minutes or less.

First picture is "LAVA RED" full on 3 layers. no gloss. very classic. Only a small amount of blush used, and then blotted off just to unify her face. its all about the sexy pout. I actually didn't use anything on the eyes- and she looks kind of tired- but I liked the effect! I thought it looked like she "threw on her sexiest lipstick minutes before her boyfriend came home" .

Second picture is just "RED" one layer and a little bit of the gloss- this almost has a stain, very "english rose"-(yet red) effect- . I am into "vintage" looks like this- because although women were definately more "made up" than any other generation- they didn't always run around in full on "done" makeup all the time- I remember that the movie "Pearl Harbor" showed this, because the girls were in Hawaii (ie sticky and hot), were slightly sunkissed (slightly-heathy glow looking)- and the makeup wasn't too "done" (especially since they were running around dodging bullets and savings lives)
this light look- focuses more so on the shape of her brows. and a pop of creme rouge right on the apples of her cheeks. also good since she is fair in coloring-it doesn't overpower her and accents her features.

1)
kritt3.jpg

2)
kd.jpg

I would also, if you can, just give them a call and ask someone. Most MUA's are familiar with Mac- especially the heavy hitter colors- like "russian red"
she might tell you a different combination- then you can get some samples!

Lip Ink® International
105 Eucalyptus Drive.
El Segundo, CA 90245
Phone: 310-414-9246

:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy