Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite red lipstick brand/shade?

Blondie

Practically Family
Pina Bridgette said:
Lulu Beauty? Has anyone tried this brand? On a whim, I ordered their lipstick in Gene from Sephora but it hasn't arrived yet. Some reviews seem very complimentary and describe it as very moisturizing and suggest it best worn with lipliner.

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P42237&shouldPaginate=true&categoryId=5669

Bettie
lulubeautybettie.jpg

Gene
lulubeautygene.jpg

Will let you know how it turns out.

P.
Here is a link to a site that has 12 of their lipsticks and other make up that isn't on the Sephora website

http://shopolivine.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=37

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Pina Bridgette said:
Lulu Beauty? Has anyone tried this brand? On a whim, I ordered their lipstick in Gene from Sephora but it hasn't arrived yet. Some reviews seem very complimentary and describe it as very moisturizing and suggest it best worn with lipliner.

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P42237&shouldPaginate=true&categoryId=5669

Bettie
lulubeautybettie.jpg

Gene
lulubeautygene.jpg

P.

That line looks so incredible! I would love to try it but $17...for lipstick..those kind of lines always make me very shifty. Please do let us hear your review when you receive it though, I might just be bowled over into going for it.

Answering the thread's question though, my current favorite, I don't even know if it qualifies as lipstick, but I LOVE L'Oreal Infallible in Crimson, it a great, true red for me, and really works as advertised, it looks nice and rich and smooth for hours on end, and doesn't smudge at all. I'm pretty pleased. :)
For actual lipstick my favorite is Revlon Certainly Red.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
LadyStardust said:
For actual lipstick my favorite is Revlon Certainly Red.

I love Certainly Red too. It's probably the closest shade of perfect red for me (not too orange, not too pink) that I've come across in years. We can't get it in the UK so I had to order it from the US but it's definitely worth it. Like everybody else I will continue to search for that 100% perfect red (does it even exist? lol) but for now Certainly Red is pretty close.

live vintageous

Familiar Face
SarahLouise said:
I love Certainly Red too. It's probably the closest shade of perfect red for me (not too orange, not too pink) that I've come across in years. We can't get it in the UK so I had to order it from the US but it's definitely worth it. Like everybody else I will continue to search for that 100% perfect red (does it even exist? lol) but for now Certainly Red is pretty close.

That sounds like one I'll have to look at next time I need a lippie fix!

SarahLouise

Practically Family
live vintageous said:
That sounds like one I'll have to look at next time I need a lippie fix!

I would recommend it but lipsticks can vary on people and look very different. Mac's Russian Red is a good example of this - on most people this colour looks perfect but on me it's a little too orange for my liking. I still like it and use it, it's just not the lipstick for me (as it is for so many people).

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Red Velvet

Besame red velvet is my current fave. I used to love MAC carnal...a deep, almost black red... but they discontinued it! Besame's film noir is close to it in color and I have been wearing that for more dramatic occassions.

For a pink...I really like Besame's portrait pink. I got a sample of it with a recent order....just waiting for it to come back in stock!

Honey Doll

Blondie

Practically Family
In the new April 'Lucky" magazine, there is a pic of a MAC red lipstick
that is described as a "true Ava Gardener red ",
the shade name is Flash-n-Dash. So of course i went straight to the MAC website and it isnt there, so must be a new shade about to be released,
does anyone on here work for MAC , Just want to know if it is a true red as stated !
Always a sucker for a new red lipstick !

Pina Bridgette

One of the Regulars
Blondie,

I was just getting ready to post my lulu beauty pic when I saw your post and of course, I had to run off and try to find a picture :) There is one on ebay right now and they state it is a tangerine red with pink pearl. How do you keep track of all your reds? My system is to swatch them on index cards. It is funny because then it becomes obvious that I have 4 or five different lips in a particular shade with ever so slight variations you would have to be csi to figure out which is which. But I love them all! I'll have to post my index cards one day.

As far as the lulu beauty goes, they do not lie. The lipstick is super moisturizing and I only had to re-apply once or twice all day. However, I would recommend wearing it with liner if you are prone to feathering. I really like the color (gene) I purchased which is also similar to another favorite of mine, bitten by lola cosmetics. Both are described as wine/cabernet colors which I find very flattering with my olive skin tone.

lulu beauty - gene:
lulubeautygene.jpg

lulubeautygenelips.jpg

enjoy!
P.

Blondie

Practically Family
Pina Bridgette said:
Blondie,

I was just getting ready to post my lulu beauty pic when I saw your post and of course, I had to run off and try to find a picture :) There is one on ebay right now and they state it is a tangerine red with pink pearl. How do you keep track of all your reds? My system is to swatch them on index cards. It is funny because then it becomes obvious that I have 4 or five different lips in a particular shade with ever so slight variations you would have to be csi to figure out which is which. But I love them all! I'll have to post my index cards one day.

As far as the lulu beauty goes, they do not lie. The lipstick is super moisturizing and I only had to re-apply once or twice all day. However, I would recommend wearing it with liner if you are prone to feathering. I really like the color (gene) I purchased which is also similar to another favorite of mine, bitten by lola cosmetics. Both are described as wine/cabernet colors which I find very flattering with my olive skin tone.

lulu beauty - gene:
lulubeautygene.jpg

lulubeautygenelips.jpg

enjoy!
P.
That colour looks AMAZING on you !!!!!!!
Will go look at Ebay now.
To keep track of my vast collection of red lipsticks i have them all in a huge beauty case in ziplock bags according to how close they are to my perfect red , so bascially they are all grouped.

Pina Bridgette

One of the Regulars
Boombebe, cute pic! That red really suits you.

Blondie, thanks! Mine are ziploc'd in the fridge but I have no idea if that really does anything. I've been trying to wear and photograph a different color almost every day this past week because I feel so guilty about neglecting them. Also, needed a pick me up because the makeup lady counter suggested that I was several years older than I actually am! ::gasp!:: Naturally, I was devastated but nothing a quick swipe of lipstick wouldn't cure. ;)

Here are a few recent pics (the morning sun is wreaking havoc with my skintone in the pics. I am actually somewhere in between):

Sisley L25 - bright red/blue undertone
SisleyL25.jpg

Dior Celebrity Red (999) - bright slightly orange-red
DiorCelebrityRed.jpg

MAC Russian Red
MACRussianRed.jpg

Lately, I'm been dabbling with the idea of trying a non-red color but I have been wearing the reds so long that picking a new color is so much harder.

enjoy!
Pina

Blondie

Practically Family
Pina Bridgette said:
Boombebe, cute pic! That red really suits you.

Blondie, thanks! Mine are ziploc'd in the fridge but I have no idea if that really does anything. I've been trying to wear and photograph a different color almost every day this past week because I feel so guilty about neglecting them. Also, needed a pick me up because the makeup lady counter suggested that I was several years older than I actually am! ::gasp!:: Naturally, I was devastated but nothing a quick swipe of lipstick wouldn't cure. ;)

Here are a few recent pics (the morning sun is wreaking havoc with my skintone in the pics. I am actually somewhere in between):

Sisley L25 - bright red/blue undertone
SisleyL25.jpg

Dior Celebrity Red (999) - bright slightly orange-red
DiorCelebrityRed.jpg

MAC Russian Red
MACRussianRed.jpg

Lately, I'm been dabbling with the idea of trying a non-red color but I have been wearing the reds so long that picking a new color is so much harder.

enjoy!
Pina
I wouldn't listen to the sales lady, probably just a sales pitch to get you to buy another lipstick ! If you love red, then wear it !
I have a few brick coloured lippies for when i feel like a change, but any other colour and i feel nude lol

Emblaze

Familiar Face
Does anyone know anything about Astor lipstick?

I was in a show last year, and we used make-up from a very cheap beauty shop for stage make-up. We had a red lipstick, which was the most amazing red lipstick I have ever come across! At the end of the show it was practically finished so I asked if I could have it. I went back to the shop where it was bought today to get a replacement, but they don't stock them anymore and I don't know where to look.

Most of the writing has rubbed off, but I can see that it says Astor (with another word before it that looks like it begins with R and the colour is 332. A quick Google search reveals that there's a cosmetics company called Margaret Astor, but they don't seem to have a website, and the Margaret Astor lipsticks on ebay don't look the same as the one I've got. I doubt it is a well-known, well-established brand, as the lippie only cost a pound (!!) in the cheapo shop.

Anyone have any clues for me? Please? [huh]

Blondie

Practically Family
Is it an English company ???
Wow a perfect red , i have got to see it !!!!!!!!!!!
Am always on the look out for a new red lipstick

Emblaze

Familiar Face
Blondie said:
Is it an English company ???

Haven't got a clue. All I know is the little I can tell from the half-rubbed-off writing on the lid!

Wow a perfect red , i have got to see it !!!!!!!!!!!
Am always on the look out for a new red lipstick

Well, here you go!

simonandmoi.jpg

(I'm the one without the moustache!)

I fell in love with it because it was so smooth to put on, stayed on for ages and made my teeth look whiter! Also, I was a bit disenchanted with my other red lipstick because I decided the colour was a bit too bright, which looked a bit cheap and crayony.

Lola Valentine

One of the Regulars
Emblaze said:
Does anyone know anything about Astor lipstick?

I was in a show last year, and we used make-up from a very cheap beauty shop for stage make-up. We had a red lipstick, which was the most amazing red lipstick I have ever come across! At the end of the show it was practically finished so I asked if I could have it. I went back to the shop where it was bought today to get a replacement, but they don't stock them anymore and I don't know where to look.

Most of the writing has rubbed off, but I can see that it says Astor (with another word before it that looks like it begins with R and the colour is 332. A quick Google search reveals that there's a cosmetics company called Margaret Astor, but they don't seem to have a website, and the Margaret Astor lipsticks on ebay don't look the same as the one I've got. I doubt it is a well-known, well-established brand, as the lippie only cost a pound (!!) in the cheapo shop.

Anyone have any clues for me? Please? [huh]

I recognise that brand, and I've got a funny feeling that they may sell it in either Boots, Superdrug or SemiChem....... I definately know that I've seen it in one of those places in the past, but that may have been a long time ago now. I have to admit, I haven't been looking lately! Good luck though, if you find it let me know because it's a lovely colour in your picture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran