Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite red lipstick brand/shade?

retromom712

New in Town
yes it is...thanks!:D on another note, does anyone know how long lipsticks are good for?? do they expire? i want to stock up, just in case they stop making it, but i want to know for sure before i do...thanks!!!!

glamour-girl

One of the Regulars
first thing tomorrow i'm going to mac's to get me a viva galm 1, this shade is stunning. i'm always on the look for a good shade of red ;)
from my expiriance if you'v already used a lipstick it's good for about six months, after that it gets that old lipstick smell :eek: :eek: :eek: if it's a new and sealed one you can keep it for over a year. same goes for foundation and mascara.

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
I posted in the other lippy thread too, but can anyone rec a good everyday red lipstick for me? (I am in Europe, so no US-exclusive brands...)
Also, what tone of red should I go for?

glamour-girl

One of the Regulars
o.k. i just went trough my make-up box (well, actually it's an old tin cookie box, but it serves the purpose well...) ) and picked up my favorites for you, so here we go;
maybelline moisture extreme lipstick in petal, crushed cranberry and cherry rain
rimmel lasting finish lipstick in alarm and cider
revlon's volcanic red
l'oreal platinum lipstick in glistening berry
estee lauder all day lipstick in spiced cider
clinique clour surge lipstick in poppy love
guerlain red booster (a coral red)
dior addict high shine runway red (a sheer red)
the high-end brands i got from e-bay and they actually cost me about half their retail price ;) ;) ;)

MissWednesday

New in Town
MAC Amplified Creme Lipstick in Rockocco is my new fave.

I normally wear Ruby Woo but Rockocco is a lovely creme and is *slightly* brighter than Ruby Woo.

olive bleu

One Too Many
Tinseltown said:

Well , maybe some of the European ladies would have some better ideas as to what is available over there, but I often wear Rimmel's "Hot To Trot" in the daytime..it is quite sheer.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Tinseltown said:

Hi Tinseltown, I am from Denmark too and these are my favorites that I have bought in Copenhagen:

MAC Viva Glam 1
MAC Russian Red
Dior Bingo Red (or something like that)

I Hva eseen some very pretty red shades from Maybelline, but I haven't tried them on.

Darhling

Custom79

One of the Regulars
Okay... couldn't resist!

I don't know if I'm the first guy to post a reply, but I thought I'd drop one in as I know full well that those of us who are the considerate type try to make sure that our lips are not dry and cracked in case a special moment presents itself.

For that reason, I use Blistex creme - in the tube. One at home and one with me wherever I go.

Cheers.

C79

Mary

Practically Family
I went to Mac today and tried some matte lipsticks. I know I have read somewhere that matte lipsticks are more vintage but I'd like to be sure.

So when was the lipsticks matte. And when did they become glossy?

I don't know if I liked it. I looked a bit like I'm a lip and my face is way behind.

M

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
I seem to fall out of love quickly with red lipsticks.. I still love my Russian Red bby MAC, but have been looking for a darker one that isn't brown or violet (Impossiple to find!)

I tried Dubonnet by MAC, but it gts a bit to red/brownish on me.. sigh..
I tried Temptation by Rimmel but find that one waay to shimmery - great color, but not dark
I tried Viva Glam I by MAC, it is great, but not quite the darker red I want

I am impossiple to satisfy but are there any other brands and colors you ladies can recommend?

i_am_the_scruff

A-List Customer
I only have one red lipstick and that's Mac's Russian red. I like it alot. I also have an Estee Lauder lip colour. It's not lipstick but it's not quite gloss either. You apply is with a bush. It's quite transparent so it's better for during the day. Just a nice tint of red.

This is my favourite;

DSC00021.jpg

Rimmel 166 - Temptation with the Maybelline moisture extreme lip liner in 56 - Red Glam.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!

Aorta

Familiar Face
Dolly, you look wonderful!

I collect lipsticks, so it's kind of hard to pick a favourite shade. But for daytime I often wear a lipstick from Helena Rubinstein's "Wanted Rouge" line, the shade is called "Smoked Topaz". It's a discreet warm red with just a hint of shimmer in it. I also like the smell of this lipstick (orange) and that is doesn't turn pink on me, like many other brands do. For nighttime I can recommend Dior's "Rouge Icône", it's a highly pigmented, rather matte warm red.

It's a bit annoying, salespersons always want to talk me into buying blueish reds, just because I'm very pale and have dark hair. But I really look odd with such shades, because my skintone is slightly yellow.

Smuterella

One Too Many
I'm really struggling with the MAC lipsticks as they are so matte that I find them very drying, I'm considering going back to my cheapy Rimmel Diva Red for every day...

Aorta

Familiar Face
Smuterella, did you use a lip primer underneath the lipsticks? I can recommend MAC's "prep + prime". It conditions the lips quite well. A cheaper alternative would be Weleda's "Everon", that's a nurturing stick with lots of natural oils and waxes - works very well as a base for lipsticks, too. I don't know if Weleda is available in the UK... is it?

Swingtime Gal

New in Town
I have a tint of yellow in my complexion and bright red hair so red lippy is hard to find to compliment my coloring. I finally found a company called Red Earth. The packaging is very vintagesque and the lipstick is smooth and creamy with a hint of vanilla scent, a nice matte color. I prefer their limited edition color called Retro Red Earth but, alas, the color is discontinued and I only have a half of a tube left.
PurMinerals makes a color very similar called Ruby Red but the texture is a little mushier and it doesn't have the delightful vanilla scent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24