Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite red lipstick brand/shade?

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
RockabillyHolly said:
their new Dazzleglass in Love Alert works well as a glittery gloss on top because its stickier and stays put. no feathering!

I drooled over that shade when it first came out, but I usually stay away from gloss because I find my hair sticks to it. Do you find that too, or is it not a problem?

RockabillyHolly

New in Town
C-dot said:
I drooled over that shade when it first came out, but I usually stay away from gloss because I find my hair sticks to it. Do you find that too, or is it not a problem?
when i wear it i usually have my hair back. but when it is down it can get caught up a little. when i wear it over MAC Red i just put a bit in the center of my lips though. just so i have a little bit of shimmer. i love the Dazzleglasses because they are sticky, but some people dont like that. i just find that they stay put much better than a normal gloss.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
RockabillyHolly said:
when i wear it i usually have my hair back. but when it is down it can get caught up a little. when i wear it over MAC Red i just put a bit in the center of my lips though. just so i have a little bit of shimmer. i love the Dazzleglasses because they are sticky, but some people dont like that. i just find that they stay put much better than a normal gloss.

I agree, they stay on much better. I do the same thing, wearing my hair back. Good to know I'm not the only one who noticed that! lol

Goldfish

A-List Customer
RockabillyHolly said:
has anyone tried the Obsessive Compulsive Lip Tar in NSFW? http://www.occmakeup.com/liptar.html
i've been wondering about it...

I think "Vintage" (without trying to make a joke here) might be the better choice:
http://www.girly-show.com/2009/06/many-faces-of-vintage.html
The same girl has tried many other tars and combinations here (you have to look at the older entries for the more natural looking colors).

The problem I see with the lip tars is that they are difficult to apply matte.
This blogger and youtuber manages to create a really nice finish, but I don't know how she applies the lip tars... but I am really interested in other members here who might have tried out OCC lip tars, they have been on my wishlist for quite a while now!!

RockabillyHolly

New in Town
Goldfish said:
I think "Vintage" (without trying to make a joke here) might be the better choice:
http://www.girly-show.com/2009/06/many-faces-of-vintage.html
The same girl has tried many other tars and combinations here (you have to look at the older entries for the more natural looking colors).

The problem I see with the lip tars is that they are difficult to apply matte.
This blogger and youtuber manages to create a really nice finish, but I don't know how she applies the lip tars... but I am really interested in other members here who might have tried out OCC lip tars, they have been on my wishlist for quite a while now!!

yeah they are definitely not matte! but i'm not a matte lipstick wearer unless i'm dancing. i sort of have a 'thing' for glosses. but this one looks interesting because its a lot thicker than your typical gloss. i'm just wondering about staying power. i've been coveting them too for a while now so if i get one i will let you know!!

Blondie

Practically Family
Anyone tried the Illamasqua lipsticks in any of their red's ?
If anyone has a Sephora in their town i would love to see the matte reds that they have ,you just can't tell by the shade chart on the Sephora website & i like the sound of all 5 reds.

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
Blondie said:
Anyone tried the Illamasqua lipsticks in any of their red's ?
If anyone has a Sephora in their town i would love to see the matte reds that they have ,you just can't tell by the shade chart on the Sephora website & i like the sound of all 5 reds.
I might be able to stop by tomorrow. If I do, I'll post pictures :)

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
Blondie said:
Oh Miss Horne, i will love you for ever !!!!!
Sorry, it won't be out until some time in September. I suppose I should have looked into that first :)

Lusti Weather was kind enough to post a link above to the Sephora stores that will carry it. The store near me is on the list so I'll post pics as soon as they have it in stock.

Goldfish

A-List Customer
RockabillyHolly said:
yeah they are definitely not matte! but i'm not a matte lipstick wearer unless i'm dancing. i sort of have a 'thing' for glosses. but this one looks interesting because its a lot thicker than your typical gloss. i'm just wondering about staying power. i've been coveting them too for a while now so if i get one i will let you know!!

I think from the swatches I have seen they are not like a gloss, more like a laquer.
You DEFIANTELY HAVE to use a lip brush with them. Their foruma is made of oils and color pigments, nothing else, that's why the lip tars are so shiny and opaque. From what I know by reading countless reviews, they stay on really well. You can play around with them, adding your own pigments, mixing them, using different amounts to create different finishes. I think when I going to buy them I will split up the tars with someone since one of them should last you a lifetime.

Another example of how well they mix:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2584/3702395510_3a064aac00_o.jpg

Blondie

Practically Family
Thank you Goldfish for those links !
And thank you Audrey Horne for looking for me, they must only be available online till September.....

RockabillyHolly

New in Town
Goldfish said:
I think from the swatches I have seen they are not like a gloss, more like a laquer.
You DEFIANTELY HAVE to use a lip brush with them. Their foruma is made of oils and color pigments, nothing else, that's why the lip tars are so shiny and opaque. From what I know by reading countless reviews, they stay on really well. You can play around with them, adding your own pigments, mixing them, using different amounts to create different finishes. I think when I going to buy them I will split up the tars with someone since one of them should last you a lifetime.

Another example of how well they mix:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2584/3702395510_3a064aac00_o.jpg

thanks for the info! i saw a video where a girl took the clear lip tar and mixed it with a red pigment from MAC. it looked really good! but i figure why not just buy the red lip tar? lol

Lusti Weather

One of the Regulars
I'm looking forward to reading what everyone else thinks of the Illamasqua lipsticks; I wore mine again this week and it's starting to grow on me a bit. However, I'm more excited about having finally found a red shade I can wear to the office -- Le Métier de Beauté's lip creme in Framboise Creme. It's looks like a gloss, but has the pigmentation of a lipstick. The color is a gorgeous shimmering ruby and the wear is incredible. A little goes a long way, which is a good thing considering the crazy price. For anyone's who's interested, there's a great swatch of it here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR