Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite Scotch Whisky?

Sam Diamond

Familiar Face
My wife bought me a bottle of 16 year old Lagavulin for my birthday ( God I love her!). Mmmmmm smokey! Wow This is my first Islay ) But I did enjoy it quite a bit. So far my favorite is still the Macallan.

Fly Boy

One of the Regulars
I have to say, it's wonderful to see how much love for our whisky there is on here.

Nibbling one or two Ardbeg Ten year olds tonight. Their most general release, but still a cracking dram!

m0nk

One Too Many
That is not a crime to admit to. :p
Figured that going with the standards might not get quite the same respect as something a tad more exotic. :D

I have tried nearly 2 dozen different varieties and couldn't find anything I liked more, and although I know numerous members have posted that they like the Islay region, I can't really drink it. I'm not a big fan of the smokey, peaty flavor. That's just me though.

Figured that going with the standards might not get quite the same respect as something a tad more exotic. :D

I have tried nearly 2 dozen different varieties and couldn't find anything I liked more, and although I know numerous members have posted that they like the Islay region, I can't really drink it. I'm not a big fan of the smokey, peaty flavor. That's just me though.

Ah yes, the Islays are kind of a polarizing force in Scotch. Many like it and many don't. I am not too fond of the briny and iodine flavors of some of their offerings but some of them aren't quite so bad---even the last Laphroaig that I had was not as bad as I remembered but many of them have decided to dial it back a bit from what I have been reading in Malt Advocate. :D

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Glen Ord: or as it is now called 'The Singleton of Ord'. I had never liked whisky until I tasted Glen Ord, then whisky fast became a favourite tipple. The trouble is, the brand is now only available directly from the distillery or in Japan. I have no idea why this is.
I think it's taste can best be summed up by its motto: 'I shine, not burn.'

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
After being teetotal for my whole life, when my friends became accustomed to the idea that I would never drink and, most importantly, I was sufficiently removed from the wretchedness of college drunks, I became curious and so in early July went to the local Wine & Spirits Store to buy a bottle of Piesporter and their cheapest single-malt scotch, was was a half-sized bottle of the youngest Glenlivet. I enjoyed both greatly, particularly the scotch; its strong taste and the necessity of drinking it slowly appealed to me.

The Glenlivet was a nice enough variety, but it was just for experimental purposes. When I was sure that I would enjoy it enough to justify spending more than twenty dollars, I made some bolder choices. I seem to like distinctive, assaultive and very peaty varieties. I haven't drunk far and wide, but I've settled upon two that I'm suspect will be favorites for a long time.

Namely Laphroaig Quarter Cask and Talisker 10-year.

I would love to try some Lagavullin 16-year, but it's expensive and every time I've show up willing to spend that much on a bottle of scotch, it's been out of stock. Ah well, there's time.

After being teetotal for my whole life, when my friends became accustomed to the idea that I would never drink and, most importantly, I was sufficiently removed from the wretchedness of college drunks, I became curious and so in early July went to the local Wine & Spirits Store to buy a bottle of Piesporter and their cheapest single-malt scotch, was was a half-sized bottle of the youngest Glenlivet. I enjoyed both greatly, particularly the scotch; its strong taste and the necessity of drinking it slowly appealed to me.

The Glenlivet was a nice enough variety, but it was just for experimental purposes. When I was sure that I would enjoy it enough to justify spending more than twenty dollars, I made some bolder choices. I seem to like distinctive, assaultive and very peaty varieties. I haven't drunk far and wide, but I've settled upon two that I'm suspect will be favorites for a long time.

Namely Laphroaig Quarter Cask and Talisker 10-year.

I would love to try some Lagavullin 16-year, but it's expensive and every time I've show up willing to spend that much on a bottle of scotch, it's been out of stock. Ah well, there's time.

If you like Lahroaig then you will like Lagavullin.

deCressy

New in Town
Dalwhinnie generally, but when I'm in funds I might spring for MacAllen's 18. MacAllen's 12 is good, too, and about equal in my personal preference to Dalwhinnie. Very different whiskys, but I like the two about the same. What I mean by that is that if someone said he would give me a bottle of whisky of my choice in that price range, it would be a toss-up (slight preference to Dalwhinnie).
There are so many different good whiskys, it's really a matter of personal preference. Kind of like icce cream: some people like chocolate, some like vanilla.

Flicka

One Too Many
18 year old MacAllan is my favourite but the 16 year Lagavulin isn't bad.

I once got into an argument with an employee in a shop at Brussels airport over a bottle if Laphroaigh which he didn't think suitable for a girl (he asked me if I was shopping for my husband and when I said no, he tried to dissuade me and I persisted).

Never come between me and my single malt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112