Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite Scotch Whisky?

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

While I like Glenlivet, Glennfiddich, and Talisker a lot, I can usually afford Dewar's White Label and Famous Grouse. I can't drink any of JW's stuff, but I've only tried the red and black. I also can't drink Cutty.

Later

Angus Forbes

One of the Regulars
A friend of mine had a great collection of single malts, and was generous in sharing them. As a result I got to sample many different kinds. When all is said and done, I like the basic single malts about as well as the more exotic, my favorite basics being those from Glenmorangie and Glenfiddich.

Famous Grouse suits me for a blend, and I don't really like too many others (especially JW and Cutty).

Regarding cost -- a bottle of basic single malt provides me (ymmv) with about three times as many servings as a bottle of wine. Thus, a $45 bottle of single malt is roughly comparable to a $15 bottle of wine -- a little expensive, but not prohibitive. I am wondering if anyone else looks at it this way regarding cost . . .

Suppoko

New in Town
My all time favorite would have to be Macallan 18...when I can afford it (which is rarely). My normal whisky for day to day consumption sort of rotates between Balvenie Caribbean Cask, JW Green (which is being discontinued :-( ), and Glenfiddich 15. I also like an occaisional dram of Talisker, Lagavulin, and any of the Glenmorangies. I'm always on the lookout for a decent blend...may give White Horse a try.

JW green is being discontinued? That's not cool at all. I really got hooked on Macallen 12 when playing poker in Vegas.

Kmadden

New in Town
A few years back, I went to a lot of trouble and expense in purchasing and sampling a wide range of single-malt Scotch whisky.
I went through all the spicy, floral and fruity ones and decided I like best the smoky, peaty malts from Islay.
My two favorites: Ardbeg and Laphroaig.
I guess you can say both are acquired tastes but well worth it!

A few years back, I went to a lot of trouble and expense in purchasing and sampling a wide range of single-malt Scotch whisky.
I went through all the spicy, floral and fruity ones and decided I like best the smoky, peaty malts from Islay.
My two favorites: Ardbeg and Laphroaig.
I guess you can say both are acquired tastes but well worth it!

My experience is that Lapphroaig was undrinkable to me ten years ago but their recent offereings over the last few years have been reasonably drinkable without as much knock down strong smoky peat taste. If you wnat that then I suggest PeatMonster. That stuff will grow hair on your feet----the bottom of your feet. :p

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My all time favorite would have to be Macallan 18...when I can afford it (which is rarely). My normal whisky for day to day consumption sort of rotates between Balvenie Caribbean Cask, JW Green (which is being discontinued :-( ), and Glenfiddich 15. I also like an occaisional dram of Talisker, Lagavulin, and any of the Glenmorangies. I'm always on the lookout for a decent blend...may give White Horse a try.

Your daily menu is enviable. I'll tell you what about blends though. When I first did my Scotch exploration expedition 25 years ago, the only blends that I could stand were Chivas, Haig Pinch, expensive Johnny Walkers, Famous Grouse, and if there were others I can't remember. Every other blend was harsh, including Cutty, my Dad's favorite, from which I learned to like Scotch. When you blend Scotch, a malt whisky, with other grains, I don't think you have a quality product, personally, exceptions above. Some of these others like Teacher's and Grant's were like liquid postage stamps. Whereas single malts are generally a dream to me.

When you blend Scotch, a malt whisky, with other grains, I don't think you have a quality product, personally, exceptions above. Some of these others like Teacher's and Grant's were like liquid postage stamps. Whereas single malts are generally a dream to me.

I can't argue with you there. :p
My latest buy was the Oban 18 year old. K and L Wines has it for $77. That is nearly $30 off. It is a fair deal. Now if they actually get in the 1995 Glenrothes for $52 as advertised on their site then that will be even better. I am on the waiting list. :p

Lynx

New in Town
as far as blended goes, Johnny walker black is a good choice, nice range. Swing is good as mentioned before but hard to find for me - cool bottle too. Single malts do have a stronger character and may arguably be the "master" but johnny black has the "jack of all trades" personality......

if you are in the mood to experiment - see if you can't find a bottle called "something special" questionable name but good blended whiskey

as far as blended goes, Johnny walker black is a good choice, nice range. Swing is good as mentioned before but hard to find for me - cool bottle too. Single malts do have a stronger character and may arguably be the "master" but johnny black has the "jack of all trades" personality......

if you are in the mood to experiment - see if you can't find a bottle called "something special" questionable name but good blended whiskey

Black label tastes like water to me. I have no idea what it is. Perhaps too much grain whiskey in the blend but that was a few years ago so maybe something has changed.
The blended that I like is actually an Irish whiskey---Clontarf. I just remembered that I also like Wild Geese Irish Soldiers and Heros too. Good luck finding it after St. Patty's Day around here though. Darn it!:eusa_doh:

Lynx

New in Town
Black label tastes like water to me. I have no idea what it is. Perhaps too much grain whiskey in the blend but that was a few years ago so maybe something has changed.
The blended that I like is actually an Irish whiskey---Clontarf. I just remembered that I also like Wild Geese Irish Soldiers and Heros too. Good luck finding it after St. Patty's Day around here though. Darn it!:eusa_doh:

the thing I like about Black label is that you can pull certain flavors out by how you have it. Soda water will make it taste a certain way, on the rocks different yet, and room temperature different as well (in addition to mixers like cola etc if you are inclined).

I'll have to try Clontarf, I'll keep an eye out for it.

I remember I had an older teacher long ago who was Irish and would get very passionate about whiskey saying that it should not be called Scotch. That it was in fact originally from Ireland and perfected there as well. The Scottish stole their thunder and spread it as their own. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21